Is Nylander Better Than Tavares At This Point?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Not trying to bash either player or anything... just genuinely curious what the responses will be.

He outscored him in points and goals and seems to be better at creating offense on his own and less reliant on teammates. He's obviously a much better skater and faster. I'm sure the veteran Tavares does have some nuances to his game that William lacks.

Which player do you think is better (outright and not relative to salary)?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy has all da skills, all da speed and when he decides to play determined beast mode on puck it is he and Matty as top 2 players on team who can influence a game by themselves .. neither of those 2 needs someone else to own da puck .. JT needs someone to get da puck for him to finish and Mitch needs someone to pass puck to finish .. very few players have it all .. we need both Willy and Matty to bring their beast modes in game 1 to have a chance

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Nylander has been a lot better. He had 7 more goals and 13 more primary assists. He can break down defenses on his own with his elite skating and puck protection. Tavares is still putting up points, but looking a bit deeper at his game beyond that isn't very flattering for him

Mr Bill Waters

iq >170? then lower your tone when @ing me
Apr 20, 2020
Winning arguments on hfboards
Tavares is bringing the fire these playoff, you watch. This man captained Canada at the juniors. He knows how to win. If he doesn't, then we should be looking to offload him to Arizona for a few firsts with some retention, maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
He was in the reg, we'll see in the offs. If he stays healthy I think JT will be great.

I still think a JT WN line could have been great if they found the right winger

Reactions: banks

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Two very different play styles, so it is difficult to compare.

I think Nylander is better. But it depends on what your team's needs are.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think it's close at this point. For me, JT is a really good player that brings a lot to the table. Had a down year and has lost a step, but overall still a great player.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
JT has been a lot more consistent than Nylander this year. Nylander has had higher highs and lower lows. His good moments are also a lot more noticeable, whereas Tavares does a lot of things that are simple and quiet that are not really talked about.

If I am just looking at what each brings without considering age and contract, I would still take Tavares right now, but hopefully with a better shooting percentage than he had this year and than with the Leafs in the playoffs.

Obviously Tavares is turning 32 this year and Nylander is turning 26 today.

Reactions: New Liskeard

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Tavares' ability to drive play is non-existent this year.

Hopefully, we see the 11M JT at some point in these playoffs.

Reactions: glue

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This year - absolutely. And I wouldn't doubt if it stays that way going forward. It's going to be f***ing painful if the cost of keeping Tavares is moving Nylander.
Yes, he is. Tavares is not worth the cap hit.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
JT has been a lot more consistent than Nylander this year. Nylander has had higher highs and lower lows. His good moments are also a lot more noticeable, whereas Tavares does a lot of things that are simple and quiet that are not really talked about.

If I am just looking at what each brings without considering age and contract, I would still take Tavares right now, but hopefully with a better shooting percentage than he had this year and than with the Leafs in the playoffs.

Obviously Tavares is turning 32 this year and Nylander is turning 26 today.
We paid a guy $11 million for 76 points to allow more goals scored against him when he was on the ice than for, and got a slow guy who brings zero heart and leadership in return. 41 players scored more points than him, most for much cheaper.

He might win a faceoff though...

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Tavares is inconsistent but he honestly is not as bad as people make him out to be. Nylander has a higher ceiling but even Nylander hasn't been consistent his entire career.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At present, Willie is a much better player than JT. It is true that Willie got really highs and really lows but where is JT? JT has been consistently okay this past season. I know JT wins faceoffs better defense....but he is also getting paid 11mil/yr, he needs to produce.
Hopefully, JT produces this playoffs, heck as long as he is not getting scored on by the other team and chip in a goal here and there, thats all I am asking for.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Although it was close, I'd have to admit that Nylander did have the better season. That suggestion shouldn't be all that surprising though considering Nylander is about a handful of years younger than Tavares. The difference in AAV is generally what makes the comparison stand out as much as it might. Even that notion shouldn't be totally unexpected since Tavares was signed as a UFA.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Tavares is bringing the fire these playoff, you watch. This man captained Canada at the juniors. He knows how to win. If he doesn't, then we should be looking to offload him to Arizona for a few firsts with some retention, maybe.

Winning in juniors is not the same thing. And sure he was on the fourth line that got a Canada gold but in the NHL, as captain, his teams have done very little winning (6 playoff appearances, 1 series win).

And for the thousandth time, Tavares is not waiving. Not for Arizona or any other team. The only plausible scenario he is moved is as a rental in the final year of his contract and the Leafs are clearly not headed to the playoffs.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Mar 26, 2010
Oh Yes, by a fair margin as well. Willy Nylander is a beast! He steps up in the playoffs too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad