Is Nikita Scherbak ready to make the jump?

PricePkPatch*

Throwing a 19 year old winger to the wolves and expect it to turn us into contender?

Who are we, the Oilers?!?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I know it was a scrimmage, but he was better than Sekac... I am not convinced just yet with Sekac.

Really?

You're not convinced that Sekac is ready to play in the National Hockey League after watching one inter-squad scrimmage?

Wow, that's odd. What else do you need to see?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Throwing a 19 year old winger to the wolves and expect it to turn us into contender?

Who are we, the Oilers?!?

Are you serious? Some players fly under the radar you know.

Galchenyuk made the team the year of his draft. And we aren't the oilers. Nor is he ruined.

Bergeron made it at 18 with the Bruins and was a 2nd round pick.

I doubt that Scherbak is ready. Not because I doubt him as a prospect but just because it's really rare that they're truly ready at such a young age. He'd also have to beat Sekac, Bournival, DLR and Ghetto for that last top 9 spot. But no point in being close minded about the possibility.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe not but when your 40pts above the next scorer on your team during your rookie season its something

You realize that the second and third leading scorers on the Blades were traded during the season, right?

So while Scherbak was 35 and 40 points ahead of those two guys, (Nathan Burns and Collin Valcourt) they played 25 and 29 less games than Scherbak for the Blades because they got dealt to Swift Current and Prince Albert respectively.

Nathan Burns actually finished his season with 77 points (one back of Scherbak) and Collin Valcourt actually finished with 72 points.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
You realize that the second and third leading scorers on the Blades were traded during the season, right?

So while Scherbak was 35 and 40 points ahead of those two guys, (Nathan Burns and Collin Valcourt) they played 25 and 29 less games than Scherbak for the Blades because they got dealt to Swift Current and Prince Albert respectively.

Nathan Burns actually finished his season with 77 points (one back of Scherbak) and Collin Valcourt actually finished with 72 points.

Puts things into perspective, but he did spend a third of the season without those 2 key contributors and still maintained a good pace while those 2 have possibly benefited from better surrounding after being traded, and nobody else on the team carried the load as much as Scherbak did.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Wasn't he sick with a flu or something, or am I thinking of someone else?

I think that was during rookie camp but I might be wrong. I doubt they would've played him if it was the case. I think lehkonen was sick during dev. camp you might be confusing them.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think the dub is the right place for him this year. Hopefully on a team where he'll get a chance to play in the post season. I'm very interested to see what he does in his second WHL year.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
He does not even know the north america playoffs intensity yet. Playing on a strong team and having a deep run in the playoffs would be the best for him. Guys playing hurt with all the sacrifices. Something that can only be learned when you experience it.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I counted at least 3 occasions where he had his back to the ice, facing the boards with his head down. In a real game against physical NHLers, he would've gotten pummelled from behind and probably KOed.

He will make the NHL one day, but bringing him up at this stage could be devastating for his career.

Apr 28, 2010
Just give him a taste of NHL. 4-5 games then send him down. It would be nice to see him on opening night.

He's a special kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3