Is neck length relevant?

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Sorry, I know this is an offseason thread discussion but I'm bored at work (been really busy, nice to have a breather) and was looking at Aatu Raty stats. He's got a long neck. Reminds me of Myers.

Would it be more beneficial to measure shoulder height instead of overall height? I never played hockey very well but I don't think having a long neck helps with athletics.

Just a weird mid day thought.

Edit: Kind of like reach in combat sports I guess.

Reactions: Indiana

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Sorry, I know this is an offseason thread discussion but I'm bored at work (been really busy, nice to have a breather) and was looking at Aatu Raty stats. He's got a long neck. Reminds me of Myers.

Would it be more beneficial to measure shoulder height instead of overall height? I never played hockey very well but I don't think having a long neck helps with athletics.

Just a weird mid day thought.

Edit: Kind of like reach in combat sports I guess.
agreed, these long neck dudes are gaming the system, foreheads too.

guys like pettersson, listed at 6'2 you think he's got a size advantage against most players when in actuality he's a 5'11 dude with 3" extra in the neck and forehead

you see it in their coordination too, that extra length between their brain and their limbs is why you see pettersson and myers flail around on the ice so much

hope allvin brings this up in contract talks, could conceivably shave off a few mil in negotiations

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I swear my neck is short because it's cold rn.
george-costanza-seinfeld.gif

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
In my experience Ive found it more beneficial to have decent girth then just length…

Thats what I tell myself anyways.
I have always considered it a completely obvious no-brainer to just be both long and very thick. Why chance it? Of course my own penis is supremely underwhelming, so it's kinda irrelevant anyway.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I have always considered it a completely obvious no-brainer to just be both long and very thick. Why chance it? Of course my own penis is supremely underwhelming, so it's kinda irrelevant anyway.
I got an email selling some pills that actually help you grow in that area, if you want me to pass it on?

Guaranteed to work it says.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
In theory Myers' thundering 6 ft 8 or whatever the hell it is height advantage should give him a supreme overall awareness of everything around him. And yet just so much chaos.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Long neck = lower centre of gravity.

More concussions from the longer lever for whiplash, though.

Reactions: gsharpe

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
OK, so it's settled. The relevant measure is shoulder height.

Unless you're a short goalie...I swear I would've gone farther if my neck was longer.

• Haha

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Myers' listed height just makes his complete lack of physical play that much worse

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Myers' listed height just makes his complete lack of physical play that much worse

What’s your measure of physical play? In terms of hits and block shots he’s certainly fine relative to others on the team. He’s not much of a fighter. Regardless, I don’t see a soft player.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
What’s your measure of physical play? In terms of hits and block shots he’s certainly fine relative to others on the team. He’s not much of a fighter. Regardless, I don’t see a soft player.
He gets pushed off the puck all the time, he does not use his size to get body position, and 99% of the time he will try to finesse a puck through people instead of leaning on them and making space for himself or others. Hughes is more likely to put a shoulder into someone to facilitate a breakout than Myers is. I wouldn't call him soft but hits and fights aren't the only ways to use size either.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He gets pushed off the puck all the time, he does not use his size to get body position, and 99% of the time he will try to finesse a puck through people instead of leaning on them and making space for himself or others. Hughes is more likely to put a shoulder into someone to facilitate a breakout than Myers is. I wouldn't call him soft but hits and fights aren't the only ways to use size either.
I disagree with your assessment so we'll have to agree to disagree.

But taking your assessment at face value, not using his size to his full advantage is not the same as "complete lack of physical play." When Myers does lean on a player that player usually does go flying. We've seen some big hits from Myers where if Hughes threw the same type of hit the result would be drastically different. Hits and fights aren't the only ways to "use size", but you made the claim that Myers exhibits a "complete lack of physical play" so I ask what's your measure of physical play.

Myers isn't Chara strong but he is listed at 229lbs and is obviously a different sized player from Hughes. So I don't think you can really compare. Hughes has learned that he needs to more proactive in putting a shoulder into someone where as Myers can simply push guys off pucks. Myers putting a shoulder into someone might end up being a hit to the head. At the same time I would say that Myers' first step from a stationary position isn't all that powerful which might be what you are seeing. But that wouldn't equate to "complete lack of physical play."

Hughes looks like the hardest working Dman out there but that is mostly due to necessity of being a smaller guy.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Sounds like op had an argument with a guy at work and wants validation for his opinion
honestly I did not hahaha. But now I want to. Unfortunately HFboards is the only place nerdy enough for me to raise the stupid discussions.

Also, is anyone else having issues with "Bad Request" server problems. Only happens with my phone. And I'm never on hfboards on my computer unless I'm "doing emails" at work.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad