Is Nate Mackinnon a top 3 C in the league?

?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Well he's the 4th best player in the NHL and the 2nd best is a winger (Ovechkin). So yes.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I would take MacKinnon with his contract over any other player in the league. He's not quite as good as McDavid but is a much better value.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Well he's the 4th best player in the NHL and the 2nd best is a winger (Ovechkin). So yes.

So you have Ovechkin above a guy who outscored him by 40 points? Would like to see how you justify that.

Reactions: Grabner

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't really see how he wouldn't be. There is even a pretty decent argument for top 2.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He's arguably #1.

I think the ONLY way you could make that argument is if it was on the grounds of Cap hit efficiency, which in that case I would agree with. Otherwise its pretty silly.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008

Out of curiosity who are the current top five players in your view? As in, the five best NHL players in the world going into next season.

In regards to the poll I would say he is absolutely a top three center.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Playoffs, physicality, goals.

He does score a few more goals but not enough to make up the gap. Physicality isn’t really a positive or negative thing either. And Ovechkin is one of the biggest playoff chokers in the history of the game so that doesn’t really help his case either.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Other than McDavid and Crosby, who could be considered ahead of him right now? Drai doesn't score as much if he plays center full time. Barkov is close, especially when you account for his 2 way game.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Other than McDavid and Crosby, who could be considered ahead of him right now? Drai doesn't score as much if he plays center full time. Barkov is close, especially when you account for his 2 way game.

Bergeron perhaps? He was on pace for 100+ points this season while playing his usual top notch defensive game.

I'd have no problem with MacKinnon at 3 though. 4 & 5 are Bergeron and Barkov in my opinion.

Reactions: Nihiliste

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

Honest question: would you rather have Crosby or McKinnon centering your top line next year? I go with McKinnon.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Bergeron perhaps? He was on pace for 100+ points this season while playing his usual top notch defensive game.

Eh, he was actually deployed differently than in years past - more geared towards offense this year.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
absolutely yes. 3rd. best player in the league...and if he repeats next year he'll be #2 behind McDavid.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He does score a few more goals but not enough to make up the gap. Physicality isn’t really a positive or negative thing either. And Ovechkin is one of the biggest playoff chokers in the history of the game so that doesn’t really help his case either.

Yikes.

Ovechkin is #1 in playoff goals per game of this era (above 50 games played).

Ovechkin is #3 in playoff points per game of this era (again, above 50 games played).

Physicality sure seemed to be a factor when Ovechkin and the Caps ground your team to dust in games 6 and 7 last year.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad