Is Mueller a 2006 top contender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
It seems like many sleep on Peter Mueller and hardly give him mention aside from generously putting him in their 5-10 range, but I can see him progressing and going third behind Frolik, Kessel. From what I gather he's a fairly big guy, competes, very good skater, hits, and dangles. What else is missing in his game?

Also, I think for his sake he should cut the b.s. of going USHL then MINN. He needs to go straight to Everett and dominate the Dub for some serious development. Now don't get me wrong as I believe the NCAA is a very good league and way to approach education and hockey. But what is Mueller going to benefit from by wasting his time in an inferior USHL? This is not like he's Blake Wheeler going there to fill out and take a step above HS hockey. Mueller's been playing against collegians, the best international players so why would he wait a year and then get to MINN. It would be a totally different picture if he would be playing NCAA this coming year, as I would definately say go to MINN. But this deal of USHL, to MINN, to NHL does not seem beneficial to me.

Anyways, can anyone see him going top 3? What is his game like? And, what do you think is the best way for him to progress(sorry if this has been done before, I think I remember a thread about it) USHL-NCAA or WHL?

And maybe this thread can be turned into a top 15 for 2006.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There are some who believe that Mueller will end up the best player from his draft class. He definately has one advantage on a guy like Kessel, and that's size. He's not really flashy, but at the time is a big time point producer. I think he'll be picked in the top five, perhaps as high as three, and if he really stands out number two. It would be cool to see Americans go one/two!

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
1. Kessel
2. Frolik
3. Mueller
4. Josenau
5. Vasyunov

BOOK IT..... I have inside sources.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vanman said:
1. Kessel
2. Frolik
3. Mueller
4. Josenau
5. Vasyunov

BOOK IT..... I have inside sources.

:eek: You must have alot of sources. What would that be, 30 NHL GMs and 30 NHL head scouts? They would all have to agree on that exact order, seeing as how no one knows who will pick where. Unless of course your magic eightball told you that, too. ;) Could you please do us all a favor and ask your eightball which '06 eligable prospects will be drafted by which teams, and where? :bow:

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Toews will go ahead of Jonseuu........thats for sure. Heck, he could go number 1 by the time the draft comes around.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
1.Frolik
2.Kessel
3.Little
4.Mueller
5.Vasuynov

Look for C Ryan McDonough to sneak into the top ten. He had a good year with the Wolwes(15 goals, 22 assists in 58 games)as a 16-year old in the OHL this year. Look for him to be up in the top 15 in OHL scoring next season on a strong Sudbury team. Maybe he'll play on the frist line with Pouliot and with Staal and McQuaid as D's.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
1. M. Frolik
2. P. Kessel
3. P. Mueller
4. J. Staal
5. J. Joensuu
6. B. Little
7. A. Vasyunov
8. J. Sheppard
9. N. Backstrom
10. D. Kveton
11. J. Toews
12. K. Okposo
13. N. Foligno
14. B. Maxwell
15. D. Brassard

Mentions: T. Marcinko, J. Tlusty, J. Bernier, B. Brault, J. Armstrong, E.Johnson, R. White, R.McDonough, B. Hughes, J. Hughes, J.Legault, J. Azevedo.

These lists are bound to change dramatically by the end of next years seasons though.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not that it couldn't happen, but I'd like to hear the rationale for putting Frolik ahead of Kessel. Kessel (at least according to the IIHF) is bigger, more skilled, and has out produced Frolik at the last two tournaments they were both a part of. In fact, he had four times the number of points Frolik did at the u18s. I guess Frolik could go gangbusters this year, but enough to surpass Kessel? I don't see it.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The only thing I question re: Mueller in the original poster's description is 'very good skater'. I have had very limited viewing of him, but he seemed to me to be a step slower than the other players at the World U-18 tournament. It didn't hurt him too much at that level, and his hand/eye coordination is phenomenal, but I would be a little worried about that skating ability right now. He does have some Dave Andreychuk in him, skating wise, and as we all know that isn't a career-killer but is something to monitor.

The way the NHL wants to open things up, it may be hard for Mueller to get noticed more than Kessel or Frolik before next year's draft.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I like the list but I think Brian Strait or Chris Summers could sneak in there. Kyle Okposo, E. Johnson, and Jon Toews are all sure fire top 10 picks IMO.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Pipeandin said:
I like the list but I think Brian Strait or Chris Summers could sneak in there. Kyle Okposo, E. Johnson, and Jon Toews are all sure fire top 10 picks IMO.

i think your right about toews, okposo, and e johnson. and i also think nick foligno, nigel williams, mark mitera, and bobby sanguinetti have the potential to be top 15-20 picks from the usa.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Mueller is a bit slow. He is big for his age. He should be a high school junior next year. Is excelerating his studies to go to college a year early. And at 6 feet+ and 200+ he is doing just fine. His speed is good, his agility is sub par compared to faster devolpers. Once he fills out and gets used to his body he could be a great player. All around game with size and a great attitude.

And just because i like this stat. Kessel, Mueller, E.Johnson, and Okoposo all future gophers and all should go top 20 in the 06 year.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
MN_Gopher said:
Mueller is a bit slow. He is big for his age. He should be a high school junior next year. Is excelerating his studies to go to college a year early. And at 6 feet+ and 200+ he is doing just fine. His speed is good, his agility is sub par compared to faster devolpers. Once he fills out and gets used to his body he could be a great player. All around game with size and a great attitude.

And just because i like this stat. Kessel, Mueller, E.Johnson, and Okoposo all future gophers and all should go top 20 in the 06 year.

Those Gophers are going to have hell of a team in two years!

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Not that it couldn't happen, but I'd like to hear the rationale for putting Frolik ahead of Kessel. Kessel (at least according to the IIHF) is bigger, more skilled, and has out produced Frolik at the last two tournaments they were both a part of. In fact, he had four times the number of points Frolik did at the u18s. I guess Frolik could go gangbusters this year, but enough to surpass Kessel? I don't see it.

I see Frolik as a much more complete hockey player, thats all. Kessel is quite a player, no doubt but he's not as invincible as Crosby or someone like that. (I'll leave it at that just to not start any problems) Kessel is very light and not too strong on his skates. Like that Swedish defender manhandled him on a play and threw him to the ice, I'm not sure if he can hold up like that in the NHL. Of course, he has time to put on weight, grow, and mature. He is quite a gamebreaker, I even watched his Sweden game about three times since and he still amazes me. But Frolik is something else as well. He has a very good offensive game, obviously Kessel's is more eyecatching, is strong like a bull on the puck and off the puck, Im not too sure how Kessel's dances and mid-air moves would go in the pro's, great all around skater, Kessel's a damn good burner but not strong on his skates, and shows a pro style game.

All that said, Kessel and Frolik are heck of players, and I could have easily put Kessel ahead of Frolik. Maybe I'm just leery of being bias and overlauding our own US product and Frolik isnt better.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
orangeandblack said:
i think your right about toews, okposo, and e johnson. and i also think nick foligno, nigel williams, mark mitera, and bobby sanguinetti have the potential to be top 15-20 picks from the usa.

I think Foligno is draft eligible in 2007. Not sure if the new CBA's gonna change that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
I see Frolik as a much more complete hockey player, thats all. Kessel is quite a player, no doubt but he's not as invincible as Crosby or someone like that. (I'll leave it at that just to not start any problems) Kessel is very light and not too strong on his skates. Like that Swedish defender manhandled him on a play and threw him to the ice, I'm not sure if he can hold up like that in the NHL. Of course, he has time to put on weight, grow, and mature. He is quite a gamebreaker, I even watched his Sweden game about three times since and he still amazes me. But Frolik is something else as well. He has a very good offensive game, obviously Kessel's is more eyecatching, is strong like a bull on the puck and off the puck, Im not too sure how Kessel's dances and mid-air moves would go in the pro's, great all around skater, Kessel's a damn good burner but not strong on his skates, and shows a pro style game.

All that said, Kessel and Frolik are heck of players, and I could have easily put Kessel ahead of Frolik. Maybe I'm just leery of being bias and overlauding our own US product and Frolik isnt better.

I would disagree that Kessel isn't strong on his skates. He's prone to getting frustrated if things don't go his way, but from my viewings of him, he's hardly thrown around like a rag doll with regularity. I'm sure Frolik is better defensively (a weakness in Kessel's game), but I'm not sure that's enough to make him a better player. I guess in this case, the results (IMO) a clear demonstration of the gap between the two. Kessel to me is much more of a game breaker.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I would disagree that Kessel isn't strong on his skates. He's prone to getting frustrated if things don't go his way, but from my viewings of him, he's hardly thrown around like a rag doll with regularity. I'm sure Frolik is better defensively (a weakness in Kessel's game), but I'm not sure that's enough to make him a better player. I guess in this case, the results (IMO) a clear demonstration of the gap between the two. Kessel to me is much more of a game breaker.

Fair enough. Really, it was the spur of the moment type of ranking where I placed Frolik ahead of Kessel. Any other day and I would have put Kessel in first as usual.

Kessel is dynamite, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad