Is Morin Top 6 worthy a Year from now?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Jeremy Morin will presumably play in our bottom six for the 2014-15 season, but with the cap crunch looming, an open spot may open in the top 6 for the 2015-16 season.

Do you feel that Morin will elevate his game enough to be in our top 6 a year from now, or do you believe he'll be kept mostly on the third/forth line.

Also, do you feel he has as much upside as a player like Saad?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
No, I don't think he'll be in the Hawks top-6 a year from now and no, he doesn't have Saad's upside.

Offensively, he could be a 25G guy in the NHL.. but he will never be able to impact the game like Saad does with his speed and two-way play.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Voted no. Think he'll be a very effective third line player for his career. And the only possible way he'd be a top 6 winger a year from now is if Sharp is traded, which isn't a guarantee.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
No, I don't think he'll be in the Hawks top-6 a year from now and no, he doesn't have Saad's upside.

Offensively, he could be a 25G guy in the NHL.. but he will never be able to impact the game like Saad does with his speed and two-way play.

A 25G winger is for sure a top 6 player. I think a lot of people here have a very distorted view of what a top 6 player looks like. There were only 50 25G scorers last year. That's less than 2 per team.

He was our best corsi players played 250 minutes and scored 5 goals with a regular sh%. Very small sample size but that extrapolates out to 30G. To me, he is on his way to be Sharps replacement that can bring 80% of what Sharp produces. His shot is phenomenal. If his skating stays where it was late last year he'll be a hell of a player.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Scoring at a thirty goal pace and potting thirty are two very different things.

He doesn't need to pot 30. He can score 20 and be a top 6 forward. I think he'll get 15-20 this year on the 3rd/4th line.

If he was put with Toews and Hossa or Kane next year, he's scoring 25-30. Too good of a shot and too good in front of the net to not.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hey I'm a big fan of Morin and wanted him playing regularly awhile ago. He certainly has second line potential but I don't see him playing that role here anytime soon.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I think the answer is "maybe", but I expect that Sharp will be gone next year as Chicago remains younger and cheaper.

Morin has the skills to play top 6 on any team.

I expect he will eventually get that chance with Chicago.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
He doesn't need to pot 30. He can score 20 and be a top 6 forward. I think he'll get 15-20 this year on the 3rd/4th line.

If he was put with Toews and Hossa or Kane next year, he's scoring 25-30. Too good of a shot and too good in front of the net to not.

Without PP time and 3rd-4th line minutes, if Morin scores 10 goals that would be nice. There is no way he is scoring 20 with that role on the team.

Kane didn't score 20 ES goals last year (granted in 69 games, but you get the point).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Morin is exactly what our PP has needed for a long time, a shoot first guy with a good shot.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Without PP time and 3rd-4th line minutes, if Morin scores 10 goals that would be nice. There is no way he is scoring 20 with that role on the team.

Kane didn't score 20 ES goals last year (granted in 69 games, but you get the point).

Ben Smith scored 14 last season and Morin has outscored him when they were on the same team. Plus a Morin Kruger Smith line will work a lot better offensively than they ever did with BOllig.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've said this before but the kid looks like a scorer. I always envisioned him (with my minuscule prospect knowledge) as a Sharp/Hossa replacement as they get older and slip into a more middle-6 role or if we ever traded one of them.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I don't think he'll be a top six player for the Hawks, but I think he will be one in the NHL in a few years.

klassic

Jul 30, 2014
He seems like a tweener. 2/3 depending on the team. I think his best fit with the Hawks is 3rd line. But with a less talented team he would likely be a 2nd line player in a year or 2.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Probably not but who knows. If Morin plays LW, thats Sharp, Saad and Bickell ahead of him.

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
To echo what many have said, I think he has 2nd line potential but not on the Hawks. I think he has the ability to be a great 3rd line guy much like Shaw and Smith. I hope he can bring some physicality to the hawks that they have been lacking. If he scores 20 goals this year I'll be more than thrilled. I don't see him on the same level as Saad.

The only way I see him as a Top 6 guy on the Hawks is if they think he meshes well with those guys ala Bickell and Saad in his rookie year.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I believe Morin can be a top-6 winger - IF he's given the opportunity. With the likelihood of Sharp being traded next summer pretty high, someone is going to need to take his place in the top-6 and I think Morin probably has as good a chance as any other player on the roster and better than most.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I like Morin and everything, but a Sharp replacement? No way. He'll be a scoring grinder type, he's got a good shot that will keep him productive, but I don't see the top end skill like a Sharp or Hossa, or even Saad. He's a solid player, but I think he gets a little overrated due to everyone's anti-Q bias.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Will have to see how his shot and goal scoring ability translate to the NHL over an extended period of time. Because he doesn't have the skating ability of a top-6er...at least not in this organization. See him as a solid 3rd liner on the Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad