Is Moen tradable?

NewHabsEra*

With the emergence of Bournival and Leblanc having a good camp, do you think Bergevin can find a taker for Travis "the gost" Moen?

Under contract for the next 3 years, 1,85M per year..

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
for sure... he can easily fetch a 3rd, a second rate prospect or a grinder. But I'd play Moen over Blunden any day of the week and Bournival and Leblanc are not at NHL level yet and they both cannot fill the kind of role that Moen has.

ScopeHockey

Mar 19, 2010
If he had one year left on his contract maybe. No wants wants a 4th liner / fringe 3rd liner with 3 years left on their deal in which they are overpaid.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Best case scenario:

He has a great season (or @very good)

Then we can either:

- trade him at deadline for a 2nd or better

Or

- cross fingers that he has a freakishly strong playoffs, and this allows us to move him for even more at/before the draft

Either way, he's a piece to move, not keep... Bournival/Leblanc/white/dumont/ give us a bottom 6 young/cheap depth, that there's just no need for what he brings at that price point.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't see where replacing Moen with Bournival or LeBlanc on a 4th line is a good move. I thin k he'll come in motivated and have a bounce back year.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
With the emergence of Bournival and Leblanc having a good camp, do you think Bergevin can find a taker for Travis "the gost" Moen?

Under contract for the next 3 years, 1,85M per year..
Bournival and Leblanc do not replace Moen.

Different role. Both have more skills but they can not take his role.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Of course, but for a mid pick, a team like the Oilers would probably like a guy like Moen.

But I'd keep him, see how he does this year. Bergevin mentioned in an interview that they spoke to Moen about his play last year, and Moen knew he needs to be better.

Bergevin also hinted that Moen wasn't ready for the season after the lock out, he camp into camp a lot lighter, so maybe that will help.

But gotta say, in the playoffs last year, he played well, him and Bourque really stood out from a physical stand point in that series.

Apr 28, 2010
I'd keep Moen. He would look good playing with Prust/Parros. Besides the guy still has a cup experience. And also, I like him and Pleks killing penalties.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Yes, Moen's value to the team isn't by scoring, its in the locker and forechecking.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Keep him and give him the chance to bounce back. I have a feeling he's going to be good this season, playing on a fourth line and using his size and strength to hit and forecheck.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Best case scenario:

He has a great season (or @very good)

Then we can either:

- trade him at deadline for a 2nd or better

Or

- cross fingers that he has a freakishly strong playoffs, and this allows us to move him for even more at/before the draft

Either way, he's a piece to move, not keep... Bournival/Leblanc/white/dumont/ give us a bottom 6 young/cheap depth, that there's just no need for what he brings at that price point.

If Moen is having a great season, the only reason I would move him is if we're at the bottom of the league.

And I think the right thing to do is have guys like Briere, Gionta and DD gone, in order to make room for guys like Eller/Gally/Galla on the top 2 lines, which would then create room for guys like Bournival and Leblanc on a 3rd line.

I don't think replacing moving Moen from 4th line when he's playing awesome so we can put Dumont there is going to accomplish much other than save 1M.

A spot should have remained available for a prospect right off camp. It shouldn't have gone to Briere. If none of the kids earn a spot, then we could have gone after guys like Morrow, Gagné, Prospal, on 1 year deals.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I doubt he's very tradeable right now when teams have already filled out their camp rosters and are focused on evaluating their internal options. His peak value is going to be around deadline time, if he's playing well. He's a good fit for our 4th line in the meantime. I want to see how he plays, and even if he's not really wowing, I'd wait until the deadline in the hopes of maximizing return.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Maybe around trade deadline but he still has 2 years after this one left on his deal. Not sure a team would bite

I still think he can be a useful 4th liner

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Moen must be an awesome guy, because I do not see him bringing what his supporters says he does.

Somehow, he does have some marquee value.

If you can get something, I say move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad