Player Discussion Is Markström being Cloutiered?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Markström faces an awful lots of shots in almost every game and does a heckuva job (2nd in the NHL at Shots at). Quite a few of the shots he faces are quality shots from mid- to high danger shooting spots.

Is there a chance that he will be too fatigued to even look representable in the playoffs should the Nucks make it? I remember this happening to Cloutier, he played too many games and if one of Öhlund or Salo was out the shot totals would be staggering. Once the playoffs started he looked like a shadow of his regular season self.

Is Markström facing the same treatment? He is a bit younger so his body should maybe be better adjusted to take the beating, but is there a solid backup to take over should he be too fatigued?

Also, was the trade of Gudbrandson addition by subtraction defensively?

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Markström faces an awful lots of shots in almost every game and does a heckuva job (2nd in the NHL at Shots at). Quite a few of the shots he faces are quality shots from mid- to high danger shooting spots.

Is there a chance that he will be too fatigued to even look representable in the playoffs should the Nucks make it? I remember this happening to Cloutier, he played too many games and if one of Öhlund or Salo was out the shot totals would be staggering. Once the playoffs started he looked like a shadow of his regular season self.

Is Markström facing the same treatment? He is a bit younger so his body should maybe be better adjusted to take the beating, but is there a solid backup to take over should he be too fatigued?

Also, was the trade of Gudbrandson addition by subtraction defensively?

You still think the Canucks have a shot at the playoffs this year?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Cloutier wasn't as horrible (at least in the regular season) than general popular opinion of him is though. Not great but fairly solid (again, at least for the regular season).

He also had to play goalie for a team that were generally "offense first".

A good enough 'placeholder' until somebody better came along. Problem was, Burke achilles heel was getting goalies (the only Cup winning team he managed - he inherited that goalie).

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Markstrom is way better positionally than Cloutier ever was. Most of Cloutier's highlight reel saves were because he overcommitted and had to rely on his athleticism to recover. Unless you're Hasek, this style just isn't sustainable in the NHL, and this shows in Cloutier's record in both the regular season and playoffs.

I don't think Markstrom would have the same issues if he maintains his level of play for that reason. That being said, he is going to need a much better team in front of him to even think about the playoffs.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Demko will play more next year, should get around 25 starts.
So you’re expecting to tank another season?
Markstrom should be rested and allow Captain Tanko the rest of the way so Canucks can secure 29th place and 5th overall again. Also he’s probably gonna have to play 72 starts just for Vancouver to sniff the 2nd wildcard race.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thats insanity.

Cloutier is the main reason that team never went anywhere.

I'll always defend Cloutier. He wasn't great but he was basically a regular season Chris Osgood who gave us serviceable goaltending - something we'd been lacking for a good 6-7 years, in the regular season, but playing 60 games got burnt out and collapsed in the playoffs. And with hindsight I'd note that even much better Canuck goalies have a history of failing spectacularly in the post season.

To further hurt his rep he also didn't get very many kicks at the can. Only 3 seasons as a starter, and basically 2 post seasons, before injuries derailed his career. In his final post season with the Canucks in 2004 he was actually off to a really good start against Calgary but then in game 3 he hit a bad patch of ice and injured his ankle. There was a lot going on that season with the whole Bertuzzi/Moore fiasco but Auld replaced him in net, just wasn't as good and of course we lost in game 7 OT. He lost his chance to redeem himself there and with the injuries piling up just never got another.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I phrased myself badly. Cloutier was played too much pretty much every year. What I meant mostly was going forward.
I expect them to see what they have in their investment in Demko. Contract decision is coming up and they need to know what their options are.

Being 8 points out with 16 games left, looking at going 13-3 to reach 89 points which is about what the pace of the WC teams are currently on.

This has been an odd year for their goaltending. Plan was never to have one guy start this much. Expected Nilsson to play better. Then their plan to bring Demko up and he gets hurt in warm up. Costs him 4 starts during this past stretch.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I expect them to see what they have in their investment in Demko. Contract decision is coming up and they need to know what their options are.

Being 8 points out with 16 games left, looking at going 13-3 to reach 89 points which is about what the pace of the WC teams are currently on.

This has been an odd year for their goaltending. Plan was never to have one guy start this much. Expected Nilsson to play. Then their plan to bring Demko up and he gets hurt in warm up. Costs him 4 starts during this past stretch.

Fixed that for you...

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Markström - the most consistent goalie ever.

15-16: 0.915 / 2.73
16-17: 0.910 / 2.63
17-18: 0.912 / 2.71
18-19: 0.914 / 2.71

So pretty sure what we are going to get......

But obviously he is playing too much. Not that it matters.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad