Is Manny Malholtra the longest-ago ex-Ranger still active?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I was bored this morning, so I started digging around to find out who is currently the longest-ago ex-Ranger that is still active. Niklas Sundstrom, who played on the 1995-96 Rangers squad, retired from professional hockey last year. So does Manny Malholtra, who played on the 1998-99 squad, currently hold the "title"?

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Kovalev and Nedved are both playing in Europe.

Ah, Hockey Reference didn't have any info on their 2013-2014 seasons, so I wrongfully assumed they were no longer active.

That means Malholtra is at least third behind Kovalev (1992-93) and Nedved (1994-95). I was surprised to see how long Peter Ferraro toiled in the minors after his NHL career. He retired only four years ago.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
As for active NHL players, Marc Savard has Malhotra beat by a season, even though he hasn't played for a while and won't play again.

I glossed over him because of the LTIR thing. But you're right.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Ah, Hockey Reference didn't have any info on their 2013-2014 seasons, so I wrongfully assumed they were no longer active.

That means Malholtra is at least third behind Kovalev (1992-93) and Nedved (1994-95). I was surprised to see how long Peter Ferraro toiled in the minors after his NHL career. He retired only four years ago.

I think the only reason I knew about Nedved was because of the Olympics. Hadn't heard that name since he had that tryout with the Rangers in 2009.

Punxrocknyc19*

He's had a nice long career for himself in the Swiss league. Sorry it never worked out in the NHL, but he did well for himself playing hockey and supposedly has carved out a nice life over there.

well he should have stayed in the minors instead of bolting for europe.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
well he should have stayed in the minors instead of bolting for europe.
Not sure here, are you being sarcastic? As I recall, he was being bounced around by the Rangers (first he was too small, then when he put on weight, he lost his mobility), and he was offered top-line minutes and a great salary to play in Switzerland, where he lived as a kid. Believe me, if you have money, Switzerland is a very, very nice place to live -- certainly more attractive a proposition (with all due respect) than Binghamton or Hartford.

I think Dubé could have made it in today's NHL, but he wasn't suited at all to the clutch-and-grab era. A similar story to Petteri Nummelin or Pavel Patera, just a guy who was better off in Europe.

Punxrocknyc19*

In 1990, we drafted some guy named Lubos Rob in the fifth round. He never came to the States, but amazingly, he's still playing semi-professionally in the Czech fourth division.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67590

Is there anyone else with ties to our organization that's still active?

Alexei Vasiliev is still playing.. only 36 years old. only played 1 game in the NHL.. i thought he would have been a solid 3-4 dman.. former 5th round pick 1995...

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
He's had a nice long career for himself in the Swiss league. Sorry it never worked out in the NHL, but he did well for himself playing hockey and supposedly has carved out a nice life over there.

better horsemeat options in Switzerland

Christian Dube will always be the case study in putting on too much weight/muscle in one offseason (went from 170 to 190).

AHB*

Does anyone remember Daniel Goneau? He tore it up for like half a season then just disappeared. What the heck happened to that guy.

Man I used to like Dube. Is Fata still playing?

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Does anyone remember Daniel Goneau? He tore it up for like half a season then just disappeared. What the heck happened to that guy.

Man I used to like Dube. Is Fata still playing?

Goneau's contract with the Rangers ran out and no one else gave him a shot. He toiled between the AHL and ECHL for a few years before playing in some obscure lower level leagues. Even spent a year in France. He's been retired since 2008.

Fata is actually relatively young at 34. Made a nice career for himself in the Swiss league. Like someone else said, if you're making money in Switzerland the quality of life is tremendous.

AHB*

Goneau's contract with the Rangers ran out and no one else gave him a shot. He toiled between the AHL and ECHL for a few years before playing in some obscure lower level leagues. Even spent a year in France. He's been retired since 2008.

Fata is actually relatively young at 34. Made a nice career for himself in the Swiss league. Like someone else said, if you're making money in Switzerland the quality of life is tremendous.

Thanks. Goneau was fresh air that season he played a little with us. Seemed like he was scoring every other game, then whoosh, gone.

The swiss league is really cool. They also enjoy their hockey there a lot. The winter classic they had this year was pretty awesome. It was a small, homey, arena, I think like 20,000 seats or so. I watched some of it online, very cool.

Punxrocknyc19*

Boyd Kane was a Rangers draft pick... always thought he would be a 4th line tough guy.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Thanks. Goneau was fresh air that season he played a little with us. Seemed like he was scoring every other game, then whoosh, gone.

The swiss league is really cool. They also enjoy their hockey there a lot. The winter classic they had this year was pretty awesome. It was a small, homey, arena, I think like 20,000 seats or so. I watched some of it online, very cool.

I've been to a couple of Bern Bears games. Gorgeous, brand new arena and the atmosphere is fantastic - like a soccer crowd at a hockey game, singing, waving flags, doing call-and-responses cheers that make "Potvin Sucks" look like amateur hour. And in Bern in perticular, there's a section they call "the wall" where the fans stand all game long. And Dube was a fan favorite and one of their best players back when I visited (a few years back), which was pretty cool as well.

Also tried horse meat while I was there. Not so cool.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
I've been to a couple of Bern Bears games. Gorgeous, brand new arena and the atmosphere is fantastic - like a soccer crowd at a hockey game, singing, waving flags, doing call-and-responses cheers that make "Potvin Sucks" look like amateur hour. And in Bern in perticular, there's a section they call "the wall" where the fans stand all game long. And Dube was a fan favorite and one of their best players back when I visited (a few years back), which was pretty cool as well.

Also tried horse meat while I was there. Not so cool.

Was that during the Rangers European tour during the 2008 preseason?

Dube was on the roster but I don't recall if he played in that game. That would have been trippy. 18-year-old Roman Josi was also on that Bears team, as well as former NHL mainstays Martin Gelinas, Keith Carney, and Travis Roche. The Swiss league is a popular destination for North American ex-NHLers.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Was that during the Rangers European tour during the 2008 preseason?

Dube was on the roster but I don't recall if he played in that game. That would have been trippy. 18-year-old Roman Josi was also on that Bears team, as well as former NHL mainstays Martin Gelinas, Keith Carney, and Travis Roche. The Swiss league is a popular destination for North American ex-NHLers.

I went in '08, but it was to a league game, not against the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad