Is management assigning the "C" hurting teams?

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
It used to be, in general at least, that the players themselves voted for their own captain, meaning there was little doubt the player chosen was usually the one most respected by the players themselves.

Nowadays the captain - if the team even has one - is usually (always?) chosen by management.

Now I think there's no doubt that if they pick well, the team won't be hurt by this. The players will applaud the choice, and then it's up to the captain himself to do a good job. Picking well this way may occur the majority of the time, I honestly don't know.

My premise is that sometimes at least management will not do a good job, and potentially alienate the very players the captain is supposed to lead and inspire. This can cause them to resent management, resent the captain, and/or adversely affect their play.

I mean, I know why management does things this way. It's because they can - it gives them more power over the players. It can even be used as a negotiating tactic ("re-sign with us and we'll make you captain").

But as I believe I've shown above, I don't think it's (always) a good idea, and can even be a bad one.

Thoughts? Comments?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
weren't there a couple of former Caps players that dissed Ovechkin in interviews right after leaving Washington a few years ago?

No. Some people criticized Semin, but not Ovechkin.

Ovechkin was unanimously voted captain by his teammates when Chris Clark left.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I seem to remember that Kovalev was offered captaincy in order to sign a contract at one point. You can bet the players had no say in that.

Also I doubt the players had any say in Andrew Ference or Brian Gionta (Buffalo) being named captain.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Worst Captain was Yashin. Seriously that was for his ego. He should never have been a Captain. He was a very good player in Ottawa, but he was never a leader.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
The "C" means nothing if the player can't/won't lead. The real leaders step up and lead regardless of letters on a jersey.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
As we all learned in Mighty Ducks D3, what matters is not the letter but what sits under it, ;) Management or coaches may pick, but the players follow whoever is the best leader.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The only thing a C means is you can step onto the ice during whistles and speak with refs. Players will follow whoever they want and anyone can lead. A letter stitched onto your Jersey doesn't mean anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad