Is Malkin playing the best hockey of his career?

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
I know people will answer me "watch 2011-2012 season or his Conn Smythe run" but honestly, i've watched him very closely this season and i find he is playing than ever.
His stats might not be impressive at all relatively to his high standards (like for Sid actually) but he's looked a total beast in the last 20-25 games in a mostly depleted Penguins team and with generally more than average linemates.
In his last game against Tampa, for example, he made two OMG plays which didn't end in goals (his sick reverse pass to Sid which gave Sid a glorious chance to score on counter and his awesome solo effort which reminded us his sick goal against this same TB team during 2011-2012 season) but that was just wow:amazed::amazed:

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No, his best hockey was his Conn Smythe performance, 2008 season and his 50 goal season.

I'd argue he was at his best in 2008. Played solid 2 way hockey and great on the pk. Finished first in takeways as well, ahead of Datsyuk. 113 points too

Since then he's been floating a lot, and not stripping players of the puck anymore.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It is certainly debatable. Malkin is playing lights out this year, offensively and defensively, and he's probably the best player in the league right this second. When you consider that he's done it all nearly exclusively with third and fourth liners on his wings, it becomes even more remarkable.

That said, I'd still argue Malkin's best hockey was probably his 2012 run, where he scored 95 points in his final 62 games of the season, after playing injured for the first dozen or so games post knee surgery. Hart trophy would back that up, and he was much better defensively in that 2012 run, which is what was lacking back in 2008 for him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He always has stats and world class skill but he's playing with a lot more heart this year, imo. I've seen him single handedly try to will his team to victory numerous times already this season. Seems to me that coach Mike Johnston or one of the assistants is a little better at pushing the buttons with Geno than Bylsma ever was.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
He really has been amazing, especially given the wingers he's been playing with. I'd put it close to 2011-12 season.

LaughAtMyPain

'91 '92 '09 '16 '17
Oct 26, 2013
Malkin has also had to play both left and right wing. Even though the stats don't completely show it, the eye test proves that his drive to win (regardless of who is in the lineup or what position he has to play) has been half the reason we have stolen some points.

It is such a treat to watch Geno exhibit this level of play. Pens fans witnessed it last post season, and I only hope he will tap into this current form again come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad