Is MacT getting too much of the blame?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
A rule I have and this is not just my rule--but when GM blatantly starts lying to the fan base it is time for him to go

He's not lying, he's just straight up that stupid.

Remember Eakins? 10 year coach. Horcoff? Better option for team Canada than Stamkos

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
If you don't remember the turbulent end of the 2007 season, Lowe was all aboard the rebuild train before being derailed by EIG's attempt to save face. Hyping up draft picks, claiming it was going to be a long haul retool, the whole shebang. The rhetoric that was present 2007 was nearly identical what Katz/Tambo presented in 2010 when things went sour, and is again very similar to what's going on with Mact and his focus on rebuilding from within with draft picks speech today.

I must have blocked some of that out of my mind. I don't think Lowe was calling the shots, although he may have been willing to stand by while Tambo crashed and burned trying to carry out a strategy passed down from above.

If I were in charge, I'd give MacT at least 6 months (if not the rest of 2015). If it doesn't look like he is able to put together a lineup that complements the young core (and is unwilling to move 1 or 2 of them to improve the overall team), he gets sacked. If you cannot win with that young core, you have to be willing to move them to win. Somebody will eventually have to do it. I know he has had a good bit of time already, but I figure he can have that much more rope at this point.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I just can't believe this situation with our management. It's almost hard to believe these people are running an NHL franchise. The consistent excuses, the ridiculous comments in the media.. our owner is the only person in hockey who doesn't realize these guys are absolutely not suited for their jobs.

I can't take anymore of this BS.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I must have blocked some of that out of my mind. I don't think Lowe was calling the shots, although he may have been willing to stand by while Tambo crashed and burned trying to carry out a strategy passed down from above.

If I were in charge, I'd give MacT at least 6 months (if not the rest of 2015). If it doesn't look like he is able to put together a lineup that complements the young core (and is unwilling to move 1 or 2 of them to improve the overall team), he gets sacked. If you cannot win with that young core, you have to be willing to move them to win. Somebody will eventually have to do it. I know he has had a good bit of time already, but I figure he can have that much more rope at this point.

Tambo didn't really crash and burn though. He was mandated to lose games, cut the budget, and draft 1st overall picks. He did his job perfectly while putting the franchise is a better position for the next guy than what Lowe left him with when he took over the franchise himself.

Not sure why you would give Mact 6 months. The 9 years of crushing inability to assess talent when he was coach has become a crippling problem in his 2 years as GM. He's not going to start digging himself out of a hole that was created out of his own fundamental inability.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Not sure why you would give Mact 6 months. The 9 years of crushing inability to assess talent when he was coach has become a crippling problem in his 2 years as GM. He's not going to start digging himself out of a hole that was created out of his own fundamental inability.

What bad talent evaluations did he make as a coach? I'm not disputing your claim, necessarily, just asking for examples. He was right about Schremp and Rita, that I recall for sure. He didn't think much of them and they washed out of the league despite getting additional chances.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I just can't believe this situation with our management. It's almost hard to believe these people are running an NHL franchise. The consistent excuses, the ridiculous comments in the media.. our owner is the only person in hockey who doesn't realize these guys are absolutely not suited for their jobs.

I can't take anymore of this BS.

Yea, it's well into Raiders/Browns mismanagement territory. We are the Raiders of the NHL

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What bad talent evaluations did he make as a coach? I'm not disputing your claim, necessarily, just asking for examples. He was right about Schremp and Rita, that I recall for sure. He didn't think much of them and they washed out of the league despite getting additional chances.

He let Jan Hedja sit for half a year while complaining that he had a terrible defense, ran Chimera out of town(good bottom sixer, and still hates the Oilers to this day as a result of how things went down), recommended Brodziak be punted out of town for lacking "jam"(2009's buzzword), just a few off the top of my head. There were also rumors he didn't get along with Glencross, and probably was a major factor in the entire Comrie fiasco.

His worst offenses are with the players he personally likes though. From the baffling big statements like Justin "Norris Trophy" Shultz, Shawn "should be on the Olympic team" Horcoff, Marty "Sakic without speed" Reasoner, right down to the minor guys Mact loved but couldn't turn into regular contributers(Reddox on the top line, Stortini as a checker out against guys like Crosby, MAP and his endless undeserved chances etc.)

You discount Shremp and Rita as well, but those guys were nothing more than talented players that needed a strong coach to guide/develop them and give them a shot at the NHL level. Mact didn't have the time of day for either of them despite the high cost the organization paid to get them though, and actually seemed to resent having them in the organization, even going to the point of publically ridiculing Shremp in a press conference after reporters had the gall to be interested in why a talented former first round pick gets a 2 minute shift for an entire game on a talent starved team.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
You discount Shremp and Rita as well, but those guys were nothing more than talented players that needed a strong coach to guide/develop them and give them a shot at the NHL level.

I used to believe that about washouts, but over time I've come to realize that these guys end up playing out their careers in Europe for real reasons and not because nobody gives them a chance. These guys weren't willing to work for their chances.

You do make some valid points with the other players, though.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I used to believe that about washouts, but over time I've come to realize that these guys end up playing out their careers in Europe for real reasons and not because nobody gives them a chance. These guys weren't willing to work for their chances.

You do make some valid points with the other players, though.

That might be true of other teams, but when it comes to Mact and his snap judgements on players, it puts everything in doubt.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
SOmewhere in the world the following guys are looking at the Oilers failures and chuckling inside at Lowe and MacT:

Steve Tambellini
Ralph Krueger
Tom Renney
Jason Chimera
Dustin Penner
Bobby Ryan
Brian Burke
Jay Feaster
Lindy Ruff/Darcy Regier
Mike Comrie

MacT hiring Eakins because he felt Eakins was more in line with how he thought the game goes to show you how out of tune our GM is. If MacT thinks like Eakins I don't want any part of MacT as GM.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
We went from having a terrible GM in Tambo to an even worst one in MacT

He deserves every bit of criticism he gets and should be fired immediately.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
MacT is a GM failure in terms of his past, present, and future. He only got the job because he's friends with Lowe (poor qualifications), he has failed both subjectively (trades, signings, dealing with the media) and objectively (wins), and there's nothing to indicate that he has any plan for the future. He needs to be fired immediately, along with the rest of the OBC.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think if he didnt hire Eakins he wouldnt look nearly as bad.

But fact that (at least from what we have heard is) he didnt even interview anyone else, is pretty meh.

That coaching decision alone, cost the development of the Team 2 years...

It set the team back 2 years and unless we walk out of this draft with McEichel or Hanifin and he's a legit 1D in the near future it's a very bad thing.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
It set the team back 2 years and unless we walk out of this draft with McEichel or Hanifin and he's a legit 1D in the near future it's a very bad thing.

No worries. MacT will trade these picks before the draft for a bunch of 5th round picks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
and he's selling hope.... AGAIN!!!!! Draisaitl, Nurse, our many draft picks.\

He deserves to be roasted

I think he's trying to convince himself as much as he's trying to convince us that everything will work out at this point.

This team is basically all his creation now except for the high end pieces he inherited (top 4 forwards, and D he says will be his 1st pairing, Schultz and Klef). He has to own whatever this team does next season, no more excuses about only being here 40 months (that would be how long he's been here in management by mid-next season). He's just praying everything just magically works out for him and hopes if he keeps saying it will, some higher power will make it so.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No worries. MacT will trade these picks before the draft for a bunch of 5th round picks.

I would personally keep our 1st and 2nd and Pitt's 1st. This ship won't be turned around over night and we already have Draisaitl and Nurse in the fold as soon to be impact players. Unless we can get a high end RD or goalie our 2nd and Pitt's 1st should be off the table. Perhaps we use Montreal's 2nd in combination with our 2nd and walk out with 3 1st round picks? This is a franchise altering draft IMO, I wouldn't deal off high picks for anything short of an impact player entering their prime.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don't know why people bring up Petry . He is not that Good . Hence why other GM went for other right handed D first . If he was that good other GM,s would have been knocking down our doors , as it been known around the league for months he was being moved .

2) Mac T is still learning on the Job he has made his share of mistakes . I am sure if Katz offer any of us that job we would take it even if we are not qualified . Mac T is smart and will learn . Katz on the other hand is a fans boy and wants all his 80s Oilers around him to talk about the good old days . Katz will not learn until people of Edmonton stop going to games . Once it affects his pocket book he will make chances . But be careful of what you wish Oilers fans . A New GM may gut this team and start over , no more Hall , RNH , Eberle , Yak and who knows who else goes . I thing we have guys we can win with but we need better pieces everywhere else . With all our picks in this deep draft lets see what Mac T can do . See if he has learned from pass mistakes . Our needs PF , a #1 NHL goalie not cast offs . a couple of quality defence men like them to both be righties . Someone with a clue to run our PP . Not sure if he can turn some of these picks into NHL player or trade them to move up and draft for need .

Edit ; forgot we still need another good Centre

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I don't know why people bring up Petry . He is not that Good . Hence why other GM went for other right handed D first . If he was that good other GM,s would have been knocking down our doors , as it been known around the league for months he was being moved .

2) Mac T is still learning on the Job he has made his share of mistakes . I am sure if Katz offer any of us that job we would take it even if we are not qualified . Mac T is smart and will learn . Katz on the other hand is a fans boy and wants all his 80s Oilers around him to talk about the good old days . Katz will not learn until people of Edmonton stop going to games . Once it affects his pocket book he will make chances . But be careful of what you wish Oilers fans . A New GM may gut this team and start over , no more Hall , RNH , Eberle , Yak and who knows who else goes . I thing we have guys we can win with but we need better pieces everywhere else . With all our picks in this deep draft lets see what Mac T can do . See if he has learned from pass mistakes . Our needs PF , a #1 NHL goalie not cast offs . a couple of quality defence men like them to both be righties . Someone with a clue to run our PP . Not sure if he can turn some of these picks into NHL player or trade them to move up and draft for need .

Is this a serious post? I disagree with everything except for the Katz part.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

No offense this is the worst post filled with homerism I have ever read.

A new G.M is going to assess all players and members of the team i.e. asset management. People will be under review and at that time he will see who is valuable and worth keeping. The fact that wit h Eakins he almost ran Yakupov out of town tells you which moron would lose guys to either save his job or paint someone as a bad sheep.

They also devalue players by over paying others in the organization (usualy UFA's) = horrible asset management
- inability to develop players.
- average to below average drafting beyond first round

i don't put it all on MacT who have they drafted beyond the second round who has become an NHL regular in the last decade - they used to get the Horcoffs, Chimera, Brodziak picks not so much anymore

- inability to attract free agents - still an image problem
- complete arrogance to value people on liking or disliking them back to his days as a coach if he liked you as a person you got more chances. I learned one thing in business don't promote or evaluate people if you like them - base it on merit. Replacement and older guys can come on here and defend Mact but he's a moron. I don't care if he played in the NHL so many years, coached under this system or that system. He got the benefit of a lot of friends in the NHL including Lowe himself.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The bolded part is totally false. All evidence points it to be totally false. He has made mistakes that your average fan thrust into the job would not make. It's as simple as that. He is either not smart at all or he is a monumental liar. Take your pick.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
The bolded part is totally false. All evidence points it to be totally false. He has made mistakes that your average fan thrust into the job would not make. It's as simple as that. He is either not smart at all or he is a monumental liar. Take your pick.

Yea there classic face palms you can like or hate Tambo but he never would talk about the potential of trading or getting rid of players in the media (Dubnyk, Horcoff, Hemsky) Tambo would say when your losing everyone is under assessment and to get better no one is free from assessment including myself. Just that quote itself showed what a better person and hockey mind Tambo was vs MacT - MacT shouldn't have got the job for the fact of his public remarks on players alone.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The way I see it, the GM is responsible for 5 major things:

1) Drafting - Oversee's the draft and does their best job to ensure they have competent scouts

2) Trading - Assess's the players on the roster and tries to improve the team based on trading

3) Free Agency - Picks up players from free agency that can help the team

4) Cap Management - Signing/Not signing current players, cap management

5) Coaching Management - Selecting the Head Coach for the team

Based on these five points

1) Drafting for Edmonton for been very bad from the second round onwards for a very long time. Sure MacT hasnt been the GM for that long time, but I think he hasnt done enough to change the drafting. Since hes been the GM, nothing beyond the second round has seemed to amount to much. Granted it is still early ...

2) Trading. Honestly I cant be too hard on him when it comes to trading. Hes won some trades, hes lost some trades. Hes still tried to improve the team though and I think his intentions are genuine. Maybe he could be criticized for sticking with his core but I think its very complicated to do and the fact that the Oilers have been so bad, puts him in a bad situation to not get maximum worth. Looking at the Seguin trade and the way Boston is going now, sometimes making a trade doesnt work out. Being patient like Chevy in Winnipeg can pay off I think.

3) Free Agency. Similarly I cant be too hard on him when it comes to Free Agency. I think Fayne and Pouillot were good pick ups. Ference I think was worth the gamble. Nikitin hasnt worked out. But you win and loose some. He hasnt signed a Clarkson or anything to really hurt the team in the long run so thats good. I also think you have to consider that Edmonton is at a major disadvantage when it comes to Free Agency, so I give him a bit of a leeway. That being said I dont think the team in the past has insulated their prospects well, but I think its hard to totally blame him.

4) I think he signed the young players to too big of a contract too early. That being said its nice to have them locked up too. They dont have any really bad contracts on the books that stretch over a long time, so I think it could be better but its not brutal.

5) Like I said early, I feel that this is his biggest mistake. Choosing Eakins without interviewing anyone else has set this teams development back 2 years ... which is beyond awful. When your team hasnt developed properly in 2 years ... its hard to do points 1-4 properly.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Until the pressor yesterday, I felt perhaps things were getting out of hand, as far as blame, but no he deserves all he can get.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton

I pick both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad