Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I said this last year and it's becoming even more apparent. Nathan MacKinnon is the only player in the NHL with the pure ability to be on McDavid's level. When you combine size, speed and skill there's nobody like him.

However, with that said, I still think there is a distinct gap between the two that is not likely to ever be closed. McDavid has been historically consistent whereas MacKinnon has taken 6 years in the NHL to finally get his game up to a consistent level, and even then he's still below McDavid.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I said this last year and it's becoming even more apparent. Nathan MacKinnon is the only player in the NHL with the pure ability to be on McDavid's level. When you combine size, speed and skill there's nobody like him.

However, with that said, I still think there is a distinct gap between the two that is not likely to ever be closed. McDavid has been historically consistent whereas MacKinnon has taken 6 years in the NHL to finally get his game up to a consistent level, and even then he's still below McDavid.

Connor has played 4 seasons and Nate 6. Yes, no one can argue Connor hasn't been consistently better in points totals ONLY, but Nate is catching up. There are many more things to consider when evaluating the worth of a player. To me it does not matter if it takes longer. I am just saying that right now I prefer Mackinnon. It is very close and of course it is only my opinion. Unfortunately we cannot do a science experiment and swap them for a season to see what happens.

Everyone is free to have their own opinion. Some will say McDavid, some Mackinnon, Crosby, Kucherov, Ovechkin etc and no one can prove they are without a doubt right.

Although of course I know I am right (as always) ;)

Reactions: Ippenator

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Crosby, Kucherov, and McDavid are all eliminated so there really is no doubt in my mind that he is the best player playing right now.

Going forward, I might still take him over Kucherov and Crosby, but McDavid is still ahead of him.

Also, it’s hard for me to say that MacKinnon is more mature and a better leader than McDavid when he is on tape telling his coach to do his ****ing job and doesn’t even wear the C. McDavid I don’t really think we ever have enough information to seriously look at leadership and what it means in a discussion but that’s definitely not a good reason to take Mac over Mc.

TBF, things have gotten better since Bedsy started doing his f***ing job...and he doesn't wear a C because Landy does. Tough to criticize MacK for the team not striping Gabe of the C just to give it to him :dunno:

Reactions: MacBradley

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's the best player in the league when the officiating gives him a 5 on 3 PP in a tie playoff game for this:

PowerlessSeriousAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

2 minutes for a stick lift!!

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
If we are going based off of eye test from this post season alone I think the best player so far is Mark Stone.

Reactions: Sentinel

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
When he gets the most points or dominates in the playoffs and wins a smyth and cup, gladly will say he overthrew McDavid, tell then, no.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Mac is in the conversation since he have decent players to play with and since he start to low down the pace from time to time. hes more unpredictable than before.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Connor has played 4 seasons and Nate 6. Yes, no one can argue Connor hasn't been consistently better in points totals ONLY, but Nate is catching up. There are many more things to consider when evaluating the worth of a player. To me it does not matter if it takes longer. I am just saying that right now I prefer Mackinnon. It is very close and of course it is only my opinion. Unfortunately we cannot do a science experiment and swap them for a season to see what happens.

Everyone is free to have their own opinion. Some will say McDavid, some Mackinnon, Crosby, Kucherov, Ovechkin etc and no one can prove they are without a doubt right.

Although of course I know I am right (as always) ;)

I'm a little confused by your logic. You say Connor has been more consistent in points only? Mind elaborating what else there would be to compare the two? Also, MacK actually had a lower PPG this year than last, so not sure why you think it's fair to use a projection that he'll ever match Connor's production which has been 28 more points in the past 2 seasons. It might not matter to you if it takes longer for someone to develop but McDavid has been better than MacKs best seasons while being 2 years younger. I would say if you want to project MacK to take his game to another level (a level that would presumably put him closer to 110 points) then I can do the same with McDavid (120-130 points/50+ goals?).

I love MacK and he's one of my favourite players in the NHL but the way you're treating this debate is full of subjectivity and has no rational points to back it up on.

Reactions: Saltcreek

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I would say he is the best player in the NHL that has not been eliminated so far.
Which given that we are 3.5 games in is still quite the feat.

He has a good case for being the best player / $ who is not on an ELC and IMO he has a good case for being a top5 player and a top2/3 center in the league.
Thats good enough to be the best player on a cup winning team and therefore that is certainly good enough for me.

Mac is an amazing player that has silenced all his critics ( I remember hilarious trade board discussions the year before he broke out involving Brady Skjei..).
I think he will take winning a cup over unseating McDavid in a messageboard discussion. And so would I...

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
exactly my point. MacKinnon very well could do it before McDavid, which is why the argument becomes fact if Nathan does it.

I understand that, but it is a team game and tbh then Mackinnon has the advantage if you go by this as the Av's are probably a much better team and project to be much better moving forward with Makar, Timmins, 2019 4th overall pick etc etc. on the way.

Also the logic does not really make sense. Why does Mackinnon need to achieve these things before you will anoint him as the best when Mcdavid has not achieved any of these things himself? Just achieving that does not make it fact either, otherwise using your argument no matter who achieves these feats should be considered the best. Just like best team doesn't always win, the best player in the game does not always win the MVP, Stanley Cup, Art Ross etc.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He's the best player in the league when the officiating gives him a 5 on 3 PP in a tie playoff game for this:

Yawn. Nice editing. Video starts with the Flames player literally slashing MacKinnon on the hands, but you only see a fraction of a second of it, with the focus being on the reaction. In super slow motion.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Awh muffin. I guess it's easier to blame the refs versus admitting Calgary hasn't shown up for 7/9 periods thus far this series.

But as for OP, nah. He's amazing but McDavid is better.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I understand that, but it is a team game and tbh then Mackinnon has the advantage if you go by this as the Av's are probably a much better team and project to be much better moving forward with Makar, Timmins, 2019 4th overall pick etc etc. on the way.

Also the logic does not really make sense. Why does Mackinnon need to achieve these things before you will anoint him as the best when Mcdavid has not achieved any of these things himself? Just achieving that does not make it fact either, otherwise using your argument no matter who achieves these feats should be considered the best. Just like best team doesn't always win, the best player in the game does not always win the MVP, Stanley Cup, Art Ross etc.

To expand upon it, and you bring up very valid points. It's why I don't see Tom Brady as the G.O.A.T in football, I see MacKinnon as someone who will likely exchange harts and art ross trophies with McDavid over the next decade. Both are strikingly close in points, MacKinnon just needs a single 100 point season to be crowned a 100 point player by HFBoard standards.

I believe even despite all the points, MacKinnon would still be considered beneath McDavid given his success in the regular season thus far, so my argument is this, win the awards McDavid may never win given the circumstances in Edmonton.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

You literally started the gif with the Flames stick on his glove :laugh:Pro tip, don't make contact with the other player's glove with your stick if you don't want a penalty.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I still consider Crosby to be the best in the NHL because of Pedigree.

In sheer talent, Mcdavid without a doubt.

As an all around player that can do it all... Probably Malkin or Ovechkin. Those are rare players. Ones that can score, make players around them better, and be physical and mean at the same time. There arent any other players in the NHL that can be as complete as those two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad