Is losing part of Buffalo culture?

wshahbaz

Dec 15, 2010
Just when you think a team from Buffalo finally has some hope and looks to turn the corner and get something big coming to this city, here they go and screw it up.

Are Buffalo sports teams just flat out losers? Has it almost become part of our culture. It sure looks like it.

Fans are upset and they have every right too. We don't care about the players getting butt hurtafter one game. They put us thru hell all season. Murray really needs to step in and do something before this gets out of hand and we look like the biggest joke in pro sports.

Bps21*

I honestly can not think of a second part of the culture.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I honestly can not think of a second part of the culture.

buffalo-wings-250x250.png

Bps21*

You know...it's actually not "losing" that's defines us. If it was that simple both franchises would be stacked with high picks and the bills sure as hell wouldn't be rounding out their second decade without a QB.

It's a culture of "failure". Uncompromising, heartbreaking failure. If being 30 has a positive result...they will finish 29.

It's unmatched in any other sports city.

City of failure.

An Arizona fan tried to tell me we don't compare to their heartbreak. They have a World Series, and didn't suffer even a little to get where they are in this draft. And they actually believe they have it worse.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
An Arizona fan tried to tell me we don't compare to their heartbreak. They have a World Series, and didn't suffer even a little to get where they are in this draft. And they actually believe they have it worse.

They have to look at Shane Doan every night...that's pain I don't wanna feel.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
I guess its a good thing, fans are already preparing themselves for the worst scenario. (picking 3rd). Otherwise someone might actually go crazy. :D

Situation is still in our favor,there is no need to panic. ;)

And, I guess, I'll never understand players/coaches hate around here.

They will not lose on purpose, yeah, they can, perhaps, not give their best in those meaningless games (Like ARZ and Toronto did), but that again, is a question to the management.

Why the hell are you bringing in a coach, who is know for succeeding with low-talent teams, is not an tactician, and only thing he cares about is that players give their all on the ice.

So they are doing exactly what they were thought to do all season long. When other ****** teams are playing pre-season hockey.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Buffalo = disappointment

Just imagine what scenario would be most disappointing, and it will be so.
To be a Buffalonian is to understand this and expect it. :dunno:

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
This is incredibly dumb and disrespectful.

NO "losing" is not a part of Buffalo culture. Buffalo is about loyalty, hardwork, and eternal optimism. It's about providing for our children what was not provided for us. It's about being proud of where we came from and telling the world that. It's about continually cheering our hearts out for teams that are truly "ours." It's about being a true fan and showing others what real fan hood looks like. It's about enduring the pain and heartbreak of 4 straight Super Bowl losses, a Stanley cup final that ended in a "no goal," etc, etc. True fan hood can only be molded through that fiery crucible that is gut wrenching heartbreak. No, Buffalo is not about losing, it's about molding character. It's not about being front running **** heads.

I take unbelievable amounts of flak for being a Bills and Sabres fan. I hear people trash Buffalo constantly. And yet I've never been embarrassed to say that "I'm from Buffalo."

I also was raised by a Boston family. My Mom and Dad both being from Boston, and therefore had to endure the pain that was being a Red Sox fan for much of my life. I had to hold my Grandfathers hand as he died never seeing his beloved Sox win the World Series thanks to Bill bleeping Buckner. Obviously in recent years the Sox have been incredibly successful but let me tell you, nothing, NOTHING, was sweeter than that first win in '04.

Heartbreak molds character, it engenders humilty, & it creates a true bond amongst fans.

The entire premise of this thread offends me as a diehard Buffalo sports fan. The day the Sabres or Bills win it all I guarantee that each and every one of you will feel a pure and unadulterated sports joy you've never experienced in your lives. (Obviously that excludes the birth of a child or a wedding I'm assuming)...

No. "Losing" is not a part of Buffalo culture. It's a part of life. It's what creates true fans.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Is this a serious question. Of course being a loser team/city is synonymous with each other. The Sabres/the city are huge LOSERS. We are a joke. Will always be made fun of and a complete laughingstock. It's embarrassing to be a fan/resident of this team. I knew it, in typical Buffalo fashion they finish last in then most meaningless draft year since 1996 and are going to get a non superstar after two record breaking bad consecutive seasons. And the sick thing is is imagining Darcy Regier smirking and laughing while he gets Eichel and Buffalo gets Hanifin who will almost assuredly amount to nothing more then a Bouemeester at best type player if we get him.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
yes no doubt about it. How many of you know friends who grew up in WNY but now live elsewhere? Why do people go because they better opportunities. State and local politics brought places like WNY to its knees with tons of wasted governmental led programs. Buffalo conducts politics like its the 1950's! NYS some of the highest taxes in the county. Every community wasting tons on local school districts rather than consolidating some and cutting costs, plus increasing opportunities.

However, moving away from politics, the Buffalo sports scene has always been about losing. The Sabres are yet another example. Finally the chance to land a truly great players and the loser Sabres decide, yep, now is the time to win useless games and screw the fans. I read about how players are angry at the fans, really why is Cody Hodgeson angry, because he's rich and can't make a difference when it matter, so he'll get hot late in the season when the real goal is right in front of the fans. Why shouldn't fans, many of who pay out big bucks to be season ticket holders want to see a great player brought in? Instead, these loses, and let's be honest, if they weren't losers they'd be in playoff contention, are gonna screw this up! Mike Weber is unhappy. Cry me a river, making more in your short and pathetic NHL career than most people make in a lifetime. If you had guts you would have stood up back in January and demanded your team player harder and better when they went 0-the month.

Buffalo is the ultimate loser city. 4 Super Bowl appearances, 4 losses. 2 Stanley Cup Finals appearances in 45 years and 2 Stanley cup losses. Best record during regular season a few years back yet another giant pile of disappointment for the fans. When has the sports teams actually made the people of WNY proud in the last 10/15 years?

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State

and they've been to the NFL Playoffs so far this century.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Rough night against the leafs, huh, guys?

We eyed the Arizona and Toronto games for more than a month as the big threats, they lived up to the expectation, but we still have a two point cushion with five to go. It'll be tight and actually, a close tank was always considered the best tank. We wanted to see enough growth and positive culture set in that we wouldnt be last by 14 points, and that's exactly what's happened. Now we get to hang back and watch, and it'll be a nail biter.

If it all goes to hell, then we'll reevaluate our cosmic destiny.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This is incredibly dumb and disrespectful.

NO "losing" is not a part of Buffalo culture. Buffalo is about loyalty, hardwork, and eternal optimism. It's about providing for our children what was not provided for us. It's about being proud of where we came from and telling the world that. It's about continually cheering our hearts out for teams that are truly "ours." It's about being a true fan and showing others what real fan hood looks like. It's about enduring the pain and heartbreak of 4 straight Super Bowl losses, a Stanley cup final that ended in a "no goal," etc, etc. True fan hood can only be molded through that fiery crucible that is gut wrenching heartbreak. No, Buffalo is not about losing, it's about molding character. It's not about being front running **** heads.

I take unbelievable amounts of flak for being a Bills and Sabres fan. I hear people trash Buffalo constantly. And yet I've never been embarrassed to say that "I'm from Buffalo."

I also was raised by a Boston family. My Mom and Dad both being from Boston, and therefore had to endure the pain that was being a Red Sox fan for much of my life. I had to hold my Grandfathers hand as he died never seeing his beloved Sox win the World Series thanks to Bill bleeping Buckner. Obviously in recent years the Sox have been incredibly successful but let me tell you, nothing, NOTHING, was sweeter than that first win in '04.

Heartbreak molds character, it engenders humilty, & it creates a true bond amongst fans.

The entire premise of this thread offends me as a diehard Buffalo sports fan. The day the Sabres or Bills win it all I guarantee that each and every one of you will feel a pure and unadulterated sports joy you've never experienced in your lives. (Obviously that excludes the birth of a child or a wedding I'm assuming)...

No. "Losing" is not a part of Buffalo culture. It's a part of life. It's what creates true fans.

Why is the question dumb?

When it comes to competition you are a loser until you win. If you don't like the word loser then that is too bad, unless you consider the Buffalo Bandits Championships but most people dont, then Buffalo is a losing city in major professional sports.

At the end you admit losing is a part of Buffalo culture, unless there is no life in Buffalo. :sarcasm:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Just when you think a team from Buffalo finally has some hope and looks to turn the corner and get something big coming to this city, here they go and screw it up.

Are Buffalo sports teams just flat out losers? Has it almost become part of our culture. It sure looks like it.

Fans are upset and they have every right too. We don't care about the players getting butt hurtafter one game. They put us thru hell all season. Murray really needs to step in and do something before this gets out of hand and we look like the biggest joke in pro sports.

Ok, let me make sure I understand this properly.

Buffalo has a losing culture.

You're solution is for the GM to step in and take steps to ENSURE we lose more, and that, will fix the losing culture by getting a better draft pick.

I'm going to give this question a bit more respect than it deserves and give you an actual answer.

Buffalo isn't a losing city, losing town, or anything like that.

The bills and Sabres are two sports franchises that have been run badly. For a long time.

The only real "Buffalo Curse" thing I can think of in the last 20 years is the injuries on the 2006 team. And even then, the lightning in the bottle was created by general organizational incompetence that would later tear that team apart

There is no Buffalo curse. There never was. There's organizational incompetence that has plagued both franchises for the last 20 years stemming from a variety of circumstances. That's it.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Why bother with rooting for McEichel when either one would suffer a career ending injury in a Buffalo uniform on their first shift. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

You're solution is for the GM to step in and take steps to ENSURE we lose more, and that, will fix the losing culture by getting a better draft pick.

I'm going to give this question a bit more respect than it deserves and give you an actual answer.

The bills and Sabres are two sports franchises that have been run badly. For a long time.

The only real "Buffalo Curse" thing I can think of in the last 20 years is the injuries on the 2006 team. And even then, the lightning in the bottle was created by general organizational incompetence that would later tear that team apart

There is no Buffalo curse. There never was. There's organizational incompetence that has plagued both franchises for the last 20 years stemming from a variety of circumstances. That's it.

The OP never said Buffalo is a losing culture. He asked if is losing a part of Buffalo culture? There is a big difference.

I think the OP is using the wrong words. Culture can be offensive to residents of Buffalo.

A better question is...

Do Buffalo sports fans have a loser mentality?

Yes

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I don't think the foot in the crease blown call was due to organizational incompetence.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I think the better term is heartbreak, because really that's what it comes down to. Fans are afraid to get their hopes up under any scenario because they expect their teams to inevitably fall short.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
True.

But, I do think Buffalo fans shoulder some blame for this.

Forever, Ralph Wilson could hire the cheapest staff and yes men that wouldn't threaten him. He never NEEDED to win. Because the fans would always show up. The fans and corrupt Statesmen would always ensure Ralph got the $$$ he wanted to keep him happy.

Not all areas are like this. Maybe the next time Buffalo fans immediately jump on cities like Phoenix for 'not caring' (which is bollocks), maybe we should think about this. And I don't want to hear excuses like there's nothing else to do.

Hopefully, Terry Pegula stays the spender he is for a long time, and Buffalo lucks out. But even with Pegula, we may have someone forcing moves to please these irrational fans.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
Hopefully, Terry Pegula stays the spender he is for a long time, and Buffalo lucks out. But even with Pegula, we may have someone forcing moves to please these irrational fans.

True, I'd rather an owner like T-Pegs than a cheapskate owner. However, there's spending smartly, and spending just to spend. You need to have a long-term plan for success - and actually implement that plan, not just say that you have one.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
No, but we've got a pretty solid victim's mentality.

In a way yeah. Just stopped to think about it (okay I'm slow) so not only do people expect Arizona to finish in 30th but people also expect both Buffalo and Arizona won't win the lotto. Yeah odds aren't perfectly in Buffalo's favour there but close to 35% one of the two would win it.

But yeah, perfect storm, Sabres fans EXPECT both of those things to come to pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad