News Article: Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
There was some mild interest by teams looking for secondary scoring and Veteran leadership last off-season but they all wanted the Flyers to retain salary which they refused.

Maybe that will change drastically now. Anything up to 2M retained could be worth getting rid of him and lets not forget that his contract could be of value for teams struggling to get to the cap floor. That should be the preferred route to go and those statements by his agent can certainly only help...

A buyout next season makes little sense.

Cap hit in case of buyout:
2015-16: $2,888,889
2016-17: $2,888,889
2017-18: $2,388,889
2018-19: $888,889
2019-20: $888,889
2020-21: $888,889

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There was some mild interest by teams looking for secondary scoring and Veteran leadership last off-season but they all wanted the Flyers to retain salary which they refused.

Maybe that will change drastically now. Anything up to 2M retained could be worth getting rid of him and lets not forget that his contract could be of value for teams struggling to get to the cap floor. That should be the preferred route to go and those statements by his agent can certainly only help...

A buyout next season makes little sense.

Cap hit in case of buyout:
2015-16: $2,888,889
2016-17: $2,888,889
2017-18: $2,388,889
2018-19: $888,889
2019-20: $888,889
2020-21: $888,889

If he can't be dealt, even with 50% retained, then it's worth the buyout. Cousins/Leier/Straka/cheapUFA + Vinny's buyout is still cheaper than Vinny in the pressbox.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You'd have to think Hextall is willing to retain salary this summer to move him. I wish he did it last summer.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Frank Seravalli wrote a decent article. Despite Lecavalier's troubles, and non-production, there was that stretch where he, Bellemare and Vandevelde were hitting it off after Lecavalier was scratched.

I think the Flyers should be able to find a player to fit with those 2. Really tired of Lecavalier. both on the ice and off it. for me it doesn't matter if there is a new HC or not. It would be best for everyone if Lecavalier isn't on this team next season.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If he can't be dealt, even with 50% retained, then it's worth the buyout. Cousins/Leier/Straka/cheapUFA + Vinny's buyout is still cheaper than Vinny in the pressbox.

why do we need vinny's money next year? Chances are likely we are not a playoff team next year. Its the year after where we may need his capspace. If so then you buy him out then not next year.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
why do we need vinny's money next year? Chances are likely we are not a playoff team next year. Its the year after where we may need his capspace. If so then you buy him out then not next year.

We don't need his money next year, except for flexibility reasons. He needs to go because you don't want a rotting corpse around smelling up the dressing room.

Vinny launched this recent PR offensive in the hopes of making it look, to other teams, like it's all Berube's fault for not giving him a chance. Good luck with that, I hope it works. He did look good for a few games this year.

To make room for MDZ, Grossmann, who I love, probably needs to go too, unless Hexy decides to deal both Schenns as a package.

Umberger is untradeable, so he can come back. He's decent on the PK, he tries and he might be able to skate after his surgery.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Just think out loud but one way we might be able to entice a team in the off season to take him on is by pairing him with that Chicago conditional pick and retaining salary. Maybe in a straight trade for Stalberg from Nashville is probably the best bet...

The deal with Nashville rumored to have a few players in it though. I wonder who the other names were...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We don't need his money next year, except for flexibility reasons. He needs to go because you don't want a rotting corpse around smelling up the dressing room.

Vinny launched this recent PR offensive in the hopes of making it look, to other teams, like it's all Berube's fault for not giving him a chance. Good luck with that, I hope it works. He did look good for a few games this year.

To make room for MDZ, Grossmann, who I love, probably needs to go too, unless Hexy decides to deal both Schenns as a package.

Umberger is untradeable, so he can come back. He's decent on the PK, he tries and he might be able to skate after his surgery.

But why?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Because I'm a goalie and unless you've been a goalie, you can never really appreciate the value of a huge, moose Dman who clears the crease, blocks shots, takes the other team heavily into the boards and is just plain reliable.

Mason has been frequently quoted about his love of Grossmann and he might know a bit about it. Doesn't handle the puck that well but he's a warrior who plays hurt, gives everything he has, and is a big part of the team.

Brad Marsh was a similar type, and Ed Van Impe. Big, slow, handled it like a hand grenade, score 3 highlight reel goals a year...

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I know we have discussed it before but I can't remember the answer. If we trade a player and retain salary and the player retires before the contract ends are we still responsible for the retained portion or not?

I'm pretty sure we aren't respobdible for it but I just want to make sure

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, great for him, but Mason isn't the one streaking up the ice wondering why the big guy who looks like he's skating for the first time is fumbling the puck all over instead of getting it to the forwards.

Luckily for us we have a guy coming who can move people out of the way AND skate AND pass named Morin. Grossmann isn't suited for the current NHL where you must be able to skate and handle the puck

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It isn't even Grossmann's slow skating that's really the problem. The problem is how often he makes poor plays withe puck. He actually has a decent wrist shot, but he's a horrible passer and an icing machine. Which leads to more zone time, more shots and eventually more goals for the opposition.

The best defense is getting the puck out of the zone without icing it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Because I'm a goalie and unless you've been a goalie, you can never really appreciate the value of a huge, moose Dman who clears the crease, blocks shots, takes the other team heavily into the boards and is just plain reliable.

Mason has been frequently quoted about his love of Grossmann and he might know a bit about it. Doesn't handle the puck that well but he's a warrior who plays hurt, gives everything he has, and is a big part of the team.

Brad Marsh was a similar type, and Ed Van Impe. Big, slow, handled it like a hand grenade, score 3 highlight reel goals a year...

I'm sure goalies like it even better when the defensemen in front of them don't turn the puck over like crazy. That's something that Grossmann does frequently.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Yep. Problem is you have to pair these guys with a mobile D guy who can take care of clearing the puck by either skating it out or hitting someone with an outlet pass, so your physical D guy just has to get the puck to him instead of trying to clear the zone.

Hockey isn't baseball, for many players it matters who they're playing with and whether their skills mesh.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm sure goalies like it even better when the defensemen in front of them don't turn the puck over like crazy. That's something that Grossmann does frequently.

Braydon Coburn could skate like the wind, pass the puck pretty well, but turned the puck over more than anybody else, even right in front of his own net... but he is someone else's problem now:)

Being forced to play a role he can't play is Grossmann's biggest issue. He is a #6 asked to play like a #4. And paid like #4 but that's a different story.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I think we should keep Vinny for another year with a new coach. Remember when he first came here he was good! I believe in him still.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Williams
White-Bellemare-Cousins

Laughton start the year off in the AHL. Eventually move Lecavalier or buy him out at the end of the year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Grossmann doesnt clear the crease though. Ask 150 lb Patrick Kane how good Grossmann clears the crease. He also doesnt hit often. Hes also the worst puck-handler maybe ever, which as others have since mentioned, leads to bad passes, icings, more zone time and ultimately more goals against.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think we should keep Vinny for another year with a new coach. Remember when he first came here he was good! I believe in him still.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Williams
White-Bellemare-Cousins

Laughton start the year off in the AHL. Eventually move Lecavalier or buy him out at the end of the year.

Not sure if serious..

:amazed:

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Williams
White-Bellemare-Cousins

"We're a capstraped team who needs to resign a star forward and 2 young guns. I know! Let's trade for Justin Williams! He's 33, slowing down, will want about 4 million and plays right wing to boot. He doesn't fit at all it's perfect."

"Brilliant Ron, go get him. But offer him 6 million for 5 years just to be sure he comes here."

"Thanks Ed, will do."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad