News Article: Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly?

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
Hey guys,

Not sure if this was posted already - but very interesting nonetheless. If this happens, yes!

EDIT: Here is the link:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...tire-early-to-facilitate-trade-out-of-philly/

Very interesting comment from the agent of unhappy Flyers forward Vincent Lecavalier.

“The situation hasn’t met either side’s expectations in Philadelphia,” Kent Hughes told NJ Advance Media. “If Vinny wants the opportunity to end a fantastic career on a good note, it’s not going to happen so long as Craig Berube is head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers. I’m sure if Vinny found a good environment … an opportunity to go to a new team and end on a good note, I wouldn’t be surprised if he retired before finishing the term of his deal.”

Lecavalier, 34, is signed for three more seasons at a cap hit of $4.5 million. If he were to retire early, his team would not be stuck with his cap hit.

Lecavalier has seven goals and 11 assists in 51 games this season, while averaging just 12:48 of ice time. He last played March 17 in Vancouver and has been a healthy scratch in the three games since.

A four-time All-Star, Lecavalier’s most common linemates in 2014-15 have been fourth-liners Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Chris VandeVelde.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not the first time Vinny retiring has been brought up this season.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If i was a competitive team , i could not take that risk. Vinny thinks he isn't playing because its a bad fit. It's not a bad fit, he has just regressed to the point where he is a liability everytime he is on the ice.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So he'll retire early if he goes to a team he actually wants to play for, but will fulfill his contract on a team he doesn't want to play for?

How does that make sense?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem with him is that, even if you completely ignore his contract, there's nowhere to put him. There's just nothing thy he's especially good at or useful as but there's plenty of things where he's below average.

I mean where does he really excel?

Hockey IQ? Nope.
Passing? Nope.
Shooting? Nope. (I can't remember the last time he actually ripped a nice shot even though we thought that was something that would hold up even if he slowed down)
Defense? Nope.
Skating? Nope.
PP? Nope.
PK? Nope.
Boards? Nope.
Fighting? Nope.
Hitting? Nope.

Even someone like VV is good at working the puck along the boards in the offensive zone and PKing.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
My buddy popped down at work, and he's like, just checked on my iPhone and he gave me the vinny news, I was like, if I do not win, on the lotto, this news is pretty close to winning a lotto.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Is there any Kovalchuk-type possibility out there? Vinny gets his big bonus July 1, retires, sits out a year and tries a comeback with another team to finish his career in better situation?

If keeping Berube around until July 15 lets that happen, I am all for it!

EDIT: One year might be too short and he would have to wait longer?

Last edited:

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I think you missed his point.

Yes... He missed the point. I agree with you... If we are supposed to take the agent's words at face value, then getting rid of Berube and getting a new coach means Vinny will stay for the remainder of his contract. At this point I would rather have a new coach and keep Vinny. Also, he missed the point in that if we could easily get rid of Vinny without hurting the team, like taking a worse contract, it would have already been done. Obviously, it is not that easy to move him without taking a hit.

This issue and the agent's contract have been discussed in the Vinny player thread. Not sure we need a new thread for this.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It is in line with the Town Hall meeting comments from Berube (IIRC) that Lecavalier isn't the prolific goal scorer he was a decade ago and needs to change his game.

Yes, this was said, and I agree. The tone was almost like: ..... and he hasn't sooo.... :shakehead

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yes... He missed the point. I agree with you... If we are supposed to take the agent's words at face value, then getting rid of Berube and getting a new coach means Vinny will stay for the remainder of his contract. At this point I would rather have a new coach and keep Vinny. Also, he missed the point in that if we could easily get rid of Vinny without hurting the team, like taking a worse contract, it would have already been done. Obviously, it is not that easy to move him without taking a hit.

This issue and the agent's contract have been discussed in the Vinny player thread. Not sure we need a new thread for this.

No, it doesn't mean any of this at all. Getting a new coach that is not Berube doesn't mean Vinny will be stay for the duration of his contract. He may say so, but it's not up to him.

There is no reason to believe that a new coach, assuming he is not visually impaired, will give him a playing role. I hope they would not.

Do you really think Babcock/Deboer/Keenan/Whoever comes in next year and puts Vinny in the top 6 or even top 9?

Vinny is done as a Flyer, whether that means three more years in the friggin' press box or whether he retires or whether they can trade him for something and eat salary/take on a dump.

Hexy is not going to let Vinny fester here next year.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
No, it doesn't mean any of this at all. Getting a new coach that is not Berube doesn't mean Vinny will be stay for the duration of his contract. He may say so, but it's not up to him.

There is no reason to believe that a new coach, assuming he is not visually impaired, will give him a playing role. I hope they would not.

Do you really think Babcock/Deboer/Keenan/Whoever comes in next year and puts Vinny in the top 6 or even top 9?

Vinny is done as a Flyer, whether that means three more years in the friggin' press box or whether he retires or whether they can trade him for something and eat salary/take on a dump.

Hexy is not going to let Vinny fester here next year.

Vinny has more say over his future than you think. He has an NMC and can sit in the press box while taking up needed cap space. Whether he chooses to do so , neither you or anyone else can say. If you take the article at face value, a new coach means he would play out his contract. The rest of your comments are just your own speculation.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Vinny has more say over his future than you think. He has an NMC and can sit in the press box while taking up needed cap space. Whether he chooses to do so , neither you or anyone else can say. If you take the article at face value, a new coach means he would play out his contract. The rest of your comments are just your own speculation.

Who cares about the flawed logic of an article? IF the new coach nails him to the bench or pressbox, as his play deserves, what difference does it make that Berube is gone?

Hexy will try to trade him after the Flyers pay his bonus. If it can't be done, he'll get bought out. They aren't going to have his festering corpse hanging around the room another year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I doubt the situation changes much next year even with a new coach so Vinny would need to start looking at himself & not others.

IMO he's back next year then retires after the season is over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Frank Seravalli wrote a decent article. Despite Lecavalier's troubles, and non-production, there was that stretch where he, Bellemare and Vandevelde were hitting it off after Lecavalier was scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad