Is Laine Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icanconfirm

Oct 18, 2015
Antarctica
I've always considered Laine to be overrated but he made me eat my words during his first 2 seasons. However, I never watched any of his games but rather his highlights and stat lines. This year I told myself I'd watch Laine and the Jets more and it's hard for me to believe that this player was able to hit 70 points. After 11 games (I know it's early) this season I have come to the conclusion that Laine is an AHL player at best with the shot of a NHL superstar. Below average skating, no puck control, can't win any board battles, and probably one of the most laziest players in the league. I predict Laine will finish this season in the 40-50 point range. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm going to feel bad for the Jets if they pay him a lot money this off season.

Last edited:
Reactions: aessi

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He's been pretty weak this year - I'm not really sure what's up, maybe his summer conditioning?
He was definitely a great player last year though and I expect him to return to those levels

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
lpCaSHO.jpg

Not even trying OP.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
All the players you like are overrated and all the players I like are underrated.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Not an AHL player but it's amazing how much money he will be making with only one attribute that's above average in NHL(though that attribute is one of the best in the NHL).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Laine has a wrist shot that makes skaters regret blocking his shot for days afterwards. He's a damn good player and is rated how he should be rated.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Indeed those with a discerning eye saw the truth about Laine already 2 years ago. The reality is that Laine is a good goalscorer with very limited skillset otherwise, he's almost a textbook example of "one-dimensional scorer" (at NHL level). However, he can be quite effective if used correctly due to his great shot. The Jets did this during his first 1,5 seasons, when they had Laine play low minutes against weak lines. Now that he's pitted to play high minutes against top defensemen his game just doesn't cut it. He needs a sheltered role and a little motivational boost to bounce back to ~25-30 goals level.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
idk about overrated, but he didn't live up to super high expectations. I think when he came into the league, people saw an excellent goal scorer with huge flaws in his game who could reach incredible heights if he fixed them. The problem is, he hasn't really made improvements yet

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Incredible solo wrist shot, incredible one timer, but that's pretty much it that impresses me when I watch him. Everything else is sub par. He's not an "AHL player with an NHL superstar" shot though hahaha come on now

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Was hoping he would have a monster season to give Winnipeg more budget issues to be honest.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
He played almost a dozen Fortnite matches before the game today. And was held pointless (yet again) for the 7th time in only 11 games. Ouch indeed

Reactions: aessi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad