Is Komarov now a 4th liner?

3rd or 4th liner?

• 3rd liner

• 4th liner

Results are only viewable after voting.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Labeling someone a 3rd or 4th liner is too simplistic of a view in my opinion. In my best estimation of your criteria of a 3rd line player I would see he is a prototypical 3rd line winger. He would be slotted differently depending on each coach and team, for some teams he may fit best on the 1st line depending on his line mates and others on the 4th. A 3rd liner is kind of a generic term I personally prefer discussing the line mates he would fit best with and the attributes/flaws he brings.

Hyman has 1st line puck retrieving skills, 4th line offensive ability and franchise player level work ethic so i always get confused with generic labels.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I think most people who aren't Leo fans just haven't seen him live enough. He can really swing momentum with the way he plays.

Babs, and most coaches in the league now, worry about pairs more than lines. Kadri and Marleau are the two guys responsible for the scoring on that line. Leo brings great defense, forechecking and energy. He gets in lanes really well in our end.

Mostly, that is a line you want out their against the other teams top line or when you want to regain momentum. I was a little surprised Babs didn't put that line out right after Freddie made that huge glove save off Hanifin. The place was still electric and although their line was out for the previous shift, they were well rested coming back from a TV time out. Instead, Bozak lost the draw and Lindholm got the tip for a 3 - 1 lead.

The pairs thing makes sense to me but I don’t think it would really hurt to break some of them up if they aren’t working and to try some other options out. It amazes me how little Babcock tinkered with the lines in the preseason and even all of last year. IMO he is a little too fixated on maintaining the pairs he has had, some of which go back over 2 years now. I think there are obviously some benefits to line mates having chemistry. However, I think guys playing together all the time can also lead to them reverting into making the “usual” play, even if it isn’t all that effective. Not to mention all the video scouting being done nowadays, other teams probably have a really good idea of what the Leafs pairs are going to try to do with the puck in certain situations. It’s early in the year and with all the forward depth there are many interesting line combinations possible, why not try some stuff and see if it makes the team better. If it doesn’t work I’m sure those pairs that have been together for 2 years can get back on the same page in a hurry.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
We have use for Leo this season on that line, especially down the stretch. I'd rather him play somewhere else than take up a roster spot on the fourth line next year with Grundstrum taking his spot on Kadri's wing.

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
he's been a 4th liner ever since Ovi cheap shotted him a couple years ago.

it's amazing that marner gets bumped to the fourth while useless Leo (who used to be my favorite leaf) and others continue to get more minutes and better line mates.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Um.....you can't really wait till the 2nd half of the season to find out if a guy is gonna show up or contribute offensively or not. In the past it was fine because the team didn't expect playoffs but now you need 9 guys going offensively on the three lines and each line has an offensive black hole handicapping it.

Oh I agree but Babcock loves him

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Komarov is a guy that can play on any line from top to bottom and be effective, I like him with Naz, ideally he's our 4th line centre next season with Soshnikov and Martin on his wings.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he's more suited for the 4th line. imo the 4th line should be komarov-moore-kapanen and they should get 12-15 min/night

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is the beginning of the end for Komarov I'm afraid. Players who play his style never last long. He might have a few stretches to bring faith back but there's no way in hell we should re-sign him.

Reactions: BM14 and weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad