Is KHL slowly becomming the european NHL?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I mean in the last couple of years it`s getting more obvious:
  1. The Draft
  2. KHL/VHL/MHL minors system
  3. All star game
  4. Improved marketing etc

Whay is your opinion? Do you think its good? Will KHL become the same as NHL in terms of influence etc. in a few years?

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I would say the KHL is the Eastern European version of the NHL since there are no Western European teams in the league.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yes, if it is not today

It's definitely not even close. There's a reason you see the top young players pouring into North America rather than playing in the KHL. Of course, there are the exceptions, but the best players still go to the NHL 9/10 times.

I love what the KHL is doing and am on board with bringing top tier hockey to KHL countries to help them retain their top talent and develop their players. However, it's not even close to the NHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's definitely not even close. There's a reason you see the top young players pouring into North America rather than playing in the KHL. Of course, there are the exceptions, but the best players still go to the NHL 9/10 times.

I love what the KHL is doing and am on board with bringing top tier hockey to KHL countries to help them retain their top talent and develop their players. However, it's not even close to the NHL.

Sure,but question was about influence. And now KHL is powerhouse in Europe, like NHL in world. If you are good in Elitserien/SM-Liiga/czech league, you are in KHL next season.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
it is a little sister of NHL. KHL must grow. But i think, i 5 years it can be realy good league.
But there are many changes in the league, sometimes without any logic. For example that "looser cup"... :shakehead
And also i have big issue to follow, who will be free agent, rfa ....

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
KHL is just a couple of years old and it is already the 2nd best league in the world. Give it some time and it will become a real competition for NHL.

European NHL? Not yet, but it's just a matter of time before some Finnish, Swedish, German etc. clubs join, it is inevitable. Maybe then.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Just to clarify i`m not trying to compare NHL and KHL directly,its just that it looks like KHL is imitating alot of things NHL does (not that that`s a bad thing)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Within 5 years, minimal salary cap increased from 3,6 mil. USD to 11 mil USD, maximum of salary cap increased from 25,5 mil. USD to 35 mil. USD. Name one euro league which did it within last 5 seasons.

ebis
forget about Swedes, not within next 10 years.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
KHL is just a couple of years old and it is already the 2nd best league in the world. Give it some time and it will become a real competition for NHL.

European NHL? Not yet, but it's just a matter of time before some Finnish, Swedish, German etc. clubs join, it is inevitable. Maybe then.

Not happening for a long time if ever.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
The level of play is at a level similar, even though its apples and oranges. KHL is the best orange and NHL is the best apple. I think when they trim the ice size it will be easier to compare the 2. One good sign is that there have been many guys to jump right into NHL from KHL with no AHL necessary. Some recent examples: Cervenka, Benoit, Zuccarello, Tarasenko etc.. This is a good sign.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
Good lord no! It's far from it. As long as most teams are from Russia there's no chance to call this competition the "european NHL".

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Good lord no! It's far from it. As long as most teams are from Russia there's no chance to call this competition the "european NHL".

Name european clubs which operate with budget over 25 millions USD, after a few years with budget over 35-40 millions USD. I would like to know them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Name european clubs which operate with budget over 25 millions USD, after a few years with budget over 35-40 millions USD. I would like to know them.

How is this even related to what he wrote? Majority of KHL clubs are from Russia, that's a fact, so it's not an European NHL. That's his opinion. What are YOU talking about though? Or does the big budgets make Russian teams look like they are in Europe in your eyes?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
How is this even related to what he wrote? Majority of KHL clubs are from Russia, that's a fact, so it's not an European NHL. That's his opinion. What are YOU talking about though? Or does the big budgets make Russian teams look like they are in Europe in your eyes?

Simple. If euro clubs want to join KHL, they must meet conditions. One of them is budget. Hemsky001 wanted more european clubs in KHL, I asked him who are these euro clubs. Simple.

VladNYC*

Huge improvements every year. Large salaries. Uses other European leagues as feeders. Made up of 7 countries and more are joining. It's def more than just a domestic league, so i would say yes. Obviously is has a lot of room for improvement, but we can all agree it's the big fish in Europe.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Simple. If euro clubs want to join KHL, they must meet conditions. One of them is budget. Hemsky001 wanted more european clubs in KHL, I asked him who are these euro clubs. Simple.

He didn't say he wants European clubs to join, he simply answered the question which was asked. In Hemsky001's opinion KHL has to meet a condition of having many European clubs participating, simple. Since the topic is "Is KHL slowly becomming the european NHL?", in his opinion the answer is no, even simpler.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

The KHL may only be a few years old in name, but its teams were already existent and established in the RSL, considered by most to be the second best league in the world. It's not like this was a startup that has boomed into a 24 or 26 team league over the past 4-5 years. This is an old league with a new name and ambitions.

In burke I trust*

The KHL is definitely becoming a competitive league but it still has a long way before it comes close to the NHL. The lockout gave us a good glance of what the KHL could become and my hope is that one day the SEL, DEL, Sm-Liiga and NLA all funnel their talents into the KHL.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
The KHL is definitely becoming a competitive league but it still has a long way before it comes close to the NHL. The lockout gave us a good glance of what the KHL could become and my hope is that one day the SEL, DEL, Sm-Liiga and NLA all funnel their talents into the KHL.

You know if that happens KHL will be a better league than NHL talent wise.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
The KHL may only be a few years old in name, but its teams were already existent and established in the RSL, considered by most to be the second best league in the world. It's not like this was a startup that has boomed into a 24 or 26 team league over the past 4-5 years. This is an old league with a new name and ambitions.

RSL and KHL cannot be compared, they are two different beasts. So much has been done in only 5 years of existance of KHL which RSL couldnt do in 20 + years for instance : KHL-VHL-MHL minors system,imrpoved marketing (Youtube KHL channel,KHL-TV,KHL on facebook,twitter etc,improved KHL website) , new plans of improving infrastructure (atleast 4-5 teams will build 15k + new arenas in next 2 years) improved broadcasting quality (as i understand most team will get HD cameras from next season)

pakovits

Apr 24, 2013

not sure what the second part of the first sentence means. as for the first part, quite a few russian clubs are below that level as well, aren't they?

of course, pretty much all of the non-russian teams don't satisfy that condition either, but they are more important from an image and point of view.

generally, if khl wants to have a higher level of hockey there shouldn't be more than 18-20 teams in it.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
not sure what the second part of the first sentence means. as for the first part, quite a few russian clubs are below that level as well, aren't they?
maybe 2 or 3, not more, and after a few years these clubs wont be in KHL.

of course, pretty much all of the non-russian teams don't satisfy that condition either, but they are more important from an image and point of view.
Yes, they are important from an image and point of view, so KHL has them, dont need more. Especially if they dont have money. Yes, now there are weak non-russian clubs in KHL, but after a few years wont be. Lev Praha had this season over 20 mil USD, Donbass had over 20 mil USD. And it will increase in future. If euro clubs can compete, they are welcomed. You can not look at weak clubs and status quo but for strong clubs and future.

generally, if khl wants to have a higher level of hockey there shouldn't be more than 18-20 teams in it.
That has make sense but it is not a solution for KHL. Ask yourself, why does not NHL have 6 or 10 clubs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad