Is June-July is way better then the trade deadline?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Every year around deadline time there is so much hype and commercials with still shots of the panels. Reading down deals, saying happen like stay home from work, anything can happen, etc.

And seemingly every year especially in the past four or five years the tab panel and sports net break down deals like korpikosi getting moved....and then the five or six names on tradebait list end up not getting moved and those names are all lacking Creibuliry to begin with.

I always tell people the draft to July first few days is the best time for trades and signings and that noise.

But was it always that way?

Do you agree?

I mean this year more then usual cause of the expansion draft but good god I went to get my phone fixed I come back to learn, derek Stepan, Ryan strome, Jordan eberle, Raanta, hjamarlsson (sp?) and he like have been Moved and the draft hasn't even started.

This should be the time of year that has those hype commercials and panels that last all day breaking down deals happen rather then the march deadline, Which has shown us in recent history just how boring and uneventful, and contrived it can be.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah it is. The trade deadline is badly over hyped. This time of year it's fun to see who gets drafted where, who signs the most free agents, what trades are made. Which teams fire their coaches and whom they hire.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Hell yeah! The trade deadline is only for rentals and nothing else since the salary cap is in full swing

Look at the trades that have happened in the past week and then look at the trades that have happened on the all important "Trade Deadline"

I mean most people overlooked the Schenn deal but if that happened on the trade deadline James Duthie and the boys would be dissecting it for two hours

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
the trade deadline itself is getting too much coverage. It seems like teams are starting to make the big moves prior to the deadline day. The deadline day itself also seems to be trending in a direction where deals don't really begin to roll in at a meaningful rate until the last couple of hours prior to the deadline.

That leaves hours of deadline coverage where nothing is really happening.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It depends on the year. Sometimes the deadline is crazy and sometimes it's the before the draft and sometimes it is before FA period starts.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Hands down. Most of the big deadline moves now happen in the days leading up to the deadline anyway.

Last year's deadline was by far the worst I think I've ever seen as long as I've been a hockey fan. I don't see it getting better any time soon.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, but with the downside of not actually being able to watch the changes come into effect. That's why the TDL is better for me. You get to follow the trades, and then watch the aftermath.

The aftermath of today's moves is a lot of internet pissing contests about who won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad