Speculation: Is John Tavares getting exposed in Expansion Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
You mean playing only 56 games and only against 6 Canadian team, and avoiding 24 USA based ones which was a once in 100 year situation. :)

What happens when that goes away and Leafs return to the Atlantic where they've never finished higher than 3rd in their own Div even with JT?
Crazy that one of those Canadian teams beat favourites Vegas to get to the finals. Or does that not fit this narrative?

Reactions: Habz4Evr

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Would Tavares consider waiving NMC for the draft to help the team out?

Why on earth would a player "help out" a team that immediately upon helping out would be his competitor? Better still a team that feels it would be better off without him.

Sometimes before asking such questions consider for a moment the point of view of the people you're talking about. In this case I'm confident you would've realized what a completely asinine question this is.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
we also had a bunch of scoring we no longer have. Are we magically going to get Kadri, JVR, Connor Brown, Kapanen back? Our depth players are not even close to being as good

Exactly my point JT $11 mil forced JVR, Brown, Kapanen etc off the team as Leafs allocated at $11 mil towards another resource, now JT can not outscored that depth for the same cap consumption and that is why the teams performance is declining.

Have JT and 3 Amigos eat up 1/2 a teams cap has completely gutted out the middle of Leafs roster leaving only the have and have nots .

So as per this thread hypothetical situation of JT going to Seattle then Leafs would recapture $11 mil cap which could be then spent on 3 players to rebuild Leafs depth.

PS. JT isn't going anywhere and neither is the cap hell the Leafs find themselves in.

Reactions: paulhiggins

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Exactly my point JT $11 mil forced JVR, Brown, Kapanen etc off the team as Leafs allocated at $11 mil towards another resource, now JT can not outscored that depth for the same cap consumption and that is why the teams performance is declining.

Have JT and 3 Amigos eat up 1/2 a teams cap has completely gutted out the middle of Leafs roster leaving only the have and have nots .

So as per this thread hypothetical situation of JT going to Seattle then Leafs would recapture $11 mil cap which could be then spent on 3 players to rebuild Leafs depth.

PS. JT isn't going anywhere and neither is the cap hell the Leafs find themselves in.
I'm pretty sure JTs contract also caused Covid, Kahwi leaving, all the forest fires and the election of Doug Ford.

Luckily, I believe it also directly correlated to the rise of Vladdie and his ASG MVP award.

Reactions: aingefan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why on earth would a player "help out" a team that immediately upon helping out would be his competitor? Better still a team that feels it would be better off without him.

Sometimes before asking such questions consider for a moment the point of view of the people you're talking about. In this case I'm confident you would've realized what a completely asinine question this is.

Well at least from Johnny's POV at least he gets to play hockey in this case albeit in Seattle.. We have other threads where a healthy JT randomly sits out the entire seasons so Leafs can use his LTIR money to spend on other players play in his regular season spot instead.

That suggestion as far as JT is concerned is even worse. :)

Fans do not seem to be considering JT feelings at all, poor guy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

that’s a bold assumption. Last I checked, losing JVR was more of a result of the Marleau contract. We don’t sign Marleau we probably could have afforded to keep JVR. Also JVR priced his way out of Toronto. The whole league knew he was hitting the UFA market.

I’ve said this before, how could the leafs account for Covid? The salary cap was projected to be closer to 90 mill by now at the time of the signing. Based on those projections signing Tavares was a great signing.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
For future reference, this isn't what the "Speculation" tag is for.

Asked and answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad