Is Jiri Hudler EVER going to make the NHL?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I mean come on now... He has all the potential to become a #1/#2 centerman, and has been a very good AHL player. I mean now he arrives late for the Detroit camp, and he could of made the team out of camp. What is wrong with Hudler, does he really not care about making the NHL? I honestly believe his offensive game is ready for the NHL game, but his defensive game I really don't know.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
he had a visa problem and has missed 2 days of training camp but is expected to arrive today or yesterday early to start today or tomorrow. they are hoping he was training hard back in the czech rep. i think he will come into camp, and either completely impress the pants off of babcock or he will be such a bust that detroit wont even bother worrying about him. thats my impressions...

digitalmonkey*

Has Detroit EVER rushed a talented prospect?

He'll be with Detroit this season.

Fugu

Sure, he'll be with Detroit this year, but will he see more than 6 minutes of ice time per game? It's pretty well known Babcock didn't think much of his work ethic, so he has that hurdle to overcome. If he does not impress at camp, then the question is how long before Holland can swing a deal for him.

A Good Flying Bird*

Sure, he'll be with Detroit this year, but will he see more than 6 minutes of ice time per game? It's pretty well known Babcock didn't think much of his work ethic, so he has that hurdle to overcome. If he does not impress at camp, then the question is how long before Holland can swing a deal for him.

Maybe. In fact, that's my guess.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hudler wants out. He seems like the type who could be a bit on the petulant side. And, in his defense, the Wings franchise hasn't shown much faith in the kid.

IMO, even if he makes the team, he won't get scoring line minutes.

However it should also be noted that Babock said Hudler is a better hockey player than he was this time last year.

Fugu

Maybe. In fact, that's my guess.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hudler wants out. He seems like the type who could be a bit on the petulant side. And, in his defense, the Wings franchise hasn't shown much faith in the kid.

IMO, even if he makes the team, he won't get scoring line minutes.

However it should also be noted that Babock said Hudler is a better hockey player than he was this time last year.

I admit he has that going for him. Babcock does not dole out praise easily, so anything....anything... that sounds positive has got to be worth a lot. I want to believe Babs is a fair guy though and he will play the kid if he deserves it. I doubt he holds anything from the past over his head if he believes the kid is making an honest and complete effort. He has the skills, but he has to realize he's gotta work really, really hard. If he learns to keep an eye on Zetterberg as an example of what the coach is looking for effort-wise, he should have no problem. [Other than being on the small side. :p: ]

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Well he is/was supposed to be on a line with Z and Sammy in camp, so that could be a potential permanent spot for him. If the Wings go with Lang, Dats, and Z at center then he should be on an offensive line even if he gets put on the third line. He has shown a bit of chemistry with Lang before and its hard not to score if put with Dats or Z so he should get a shot if he makes the team. He'll either make the team or be traded before the season starts me thinks.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
There are any number of reasons why he'll never be an NHL centerman. He can't win faceoffs, he doesn't skate well enough to cover the ground that centers cover, he doesn't have the ability or interest in playing the amount of defense that centers have to play.

Maybe he'll be an NHL winger, but he won't be a center.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
imo he will make the top 6 this season. he has proven he can put up points at every level he has got the chanse to do it. and the red wings aren't exactly packed with offensive talent these days. they have datsyuk, zetterberg, lang and maybe homstrom and willimas. but they have enough defensive minded players to fill in thw holes that hudler has in this area. i think this top 6 could work out.

zetterberg-datsyuk-holmstrom
hudler-lang-samuelsson/williams

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
imo he will make the top 6 this season. he has proven he can put up points at every level he has got the chanse to do it. and the red wings aren't exactly packed with offensive talent these days. they have datsyuk, zetterberg, lang and maybe homstrom and willimas. but they have enough defensive minded players to fill in thw holes that hudler has in this area. i think this top 6 could work out.

zetterberg-datsyuk-holmstrom
hudler-lang-samuelsson/williams

actually i heard they are testing him a little with zetterberg and samuelsson, maybe someone else can elaborate on that

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
The Wings were never planning on him being a number one center. He also is very small, he seems even smaller than what he is listed as. He is very skilled, but for a small player without great skating ability, the odds have always been against him. He'll definately get his chance this year, probably on the wing, and if he ever becomes a good second liner then I'll be ecstatic.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
second that

hes basically pencilled in as the 1st or 2nd line left winger. thats where he played last year in the ahl, and its likely he'll play wing this year. the wings have alot of centers, and hudler will only be effective on a scoring line, so 3rd or 4th line center is out of the question. this is what im assuming.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Umm... Hudler since Z's is the first line.

i said who will play lw on the first line:teach: because the line he talked about looked more like a second line because it did not include datsyuk. it had hudler, samuelsson and zetterberg and that wont be there first line. you should be more consentraded when you read.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i said who will play lw on the first line:teach: because the line he talked about looked more like a second line because it did not include datsyuk. it had hudler, samuelsson and zetterberg and that wont be there first line. you should be more consentraded when you read.

i believe he was and i think that that line might indeed be our first line... detroit tho doesnt run a first, second and a third, forth line, we run 3 scoring lines, equally and then 1 checking line

like: 1a 1b 1c 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad