Is Jimmy Howard Capable of A Long Playoff Run

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Why not? Niemi won a cup. The wings haven't had a -real- shot since the took the Hawks to game 7 and if we're being honest they overachieved that year.

So why couldn't he win the cup? If the wings falter this year I'd bet money now on the fault lying on the defense rather than Howard.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
We'll give this another try, but be respectful. Make a post and move on; don't make the same post 50 times. If it gets heated, it gets shut down again.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
depending on how the team in front of him plays. he doesnt impress me as a goalie to steal you a ton of games in the playoffs.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Article states that Howard doesn't necessarily needs to be "elite". But considering our defensive flaws and struggles to keep up a good PK it's nothing than essential that he steals the one or the other game in the playoffs. Hell, we instantly rely on him to stand on his head and help us out, when our defense ****s it up again. And I've no doubt that he'll do that.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Article states that Howard doesn't necessarily needs to be "elite". But considering our defensive flaws and struggles to keep up a good PK it's nothing than essential that he steals the one or the other game in the playoffs. Hell, we instantly rely on him to stand on his head and help us out, when our defense ****s it up again. And I've no doubt that he'll do that.

He's certainly capable of showing up to big games. The Rangers game is a recent, obvious example. I don't understand the "arguments" against Howard. Sure every now and again he lets in a softy but more often than not he makes great reads on cross crease passes and makes pretty difficult saves looks easy. Sometimes the defense just utterly fails him and Howard is no Rinne, Lundqvist, or Quick. He can't bail us out all the time, and he does bail us out occasionallym

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Don't feel that comfortable with Howard right now, but I also have goalie trust issues.. So who knows.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Wings and goaltending have been a long sorry tale. How many more Cups could the Wings have won over the last 25 years with elite goaltending? From Tim Cheveldae to Jimmy Howard, it's a story of sub-optimal solutions.

The thing is that the team is now not good enough to go deep with "above average" OK goaltending. There's little point in saying so and so won the Cup recently with that when those rosters were better and deeper defensively.

Is Howard good enough to win the Cup? Maybe, if he has a Norris caliber D-man and a top 4 D in front of him that's elite. With the current D? Nope.

Hunting Bow*

The Wings and goaltending have been a long sorry tale. How many more Cups could the Wings have won over the last 25 years with elite goaltending? From Tim Cheveldae to Jimmy Howard, it's a story of sub-optimal solutions.

The thing is that the team is now not good enough to go deep with "above average" OK goaltending. There's little point in saying so and so won the Cup recently with that when those rosters were better and deeper defensively.

Is Howard good enough to win the Cup? Maybe, if he has a Norris caliber D-man and a top 4 D in front of him that's elite. With the current D? Nope.

He had Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski and Stuart in front of him and turned in horrible numbers.

When does it stop being others faults?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
He had Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski and Stuart in front of him and turned in horrible numbers.

Show me a person on here that doesn't acknowledge that Howard has benn sub-par since his return?

Then I ask you the same thing but in reverse. When does it stop being Howards fault when he turns in a solid performance and the team loses a game 3-2, 2-1, 1-0???

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

He had bad numbers in 2010-2011. In the surrounding years, he had some pretty damn good numbers.

.924 sv%, 2.26 GAA 09-10
.920 sv%, 2.12 GAA 11-12
.923 sv%, 2.13 GAA 12-13

So what is this about bad numbers? Three out of four years when he had a good to decent D core, he posted ~.920 sv% and low 2.00 GAA.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He had bad numbers in 2010-2011. In the surrounding years, he had some pretty damn good numbers.

.924 sv%, 2.26 GAA 09-10
.920 sv%, 2.12 GAA 11-12
.923 sv%, 2.13 GAA 12-13

So what is this about bad numbers? Three out of four years when he had a good to decent D core, he posted ~.920 sv% and low 2.00 GAA.

Good numbers like in SOs. Why are his numbers so terrible in the SOs? When there is no those terrible Dmen, Kronwall who screens him, Ericsson who always makes mistakes, Smith, Kindl and so on?
When Howard has no this bad in front of him, his numbers turn real ugly. His SV% in SOs is by far the worst in the nhl. It is a halv of the worst goalie in the entire league.

Howard has no mental fortitude to keep playing strog in the playoffs.
I have seen Howard enough, this will be his last chance. If he fails to play well in the playoffs this year, we have to give up on him.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Howard is like Quick. He can look great all locked down or it can be a 6 goal night. I have no faith in our bipolar goalie.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He is capable, but I think you go with the hot hand. Which is Mrazek (right now)

When it comes to the playoffs, Mrazek has to prove he can hack it consistently. A rookie goaltender in the playoffs against a team like Tampa (or worse, Montreal)? That could spell disaster if he hasn't completely won the starting job.

Essentially, Mrazek has to be lights out for the rest of the season and Howard has to remain inconsistent for him to get the nod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad