Jason Robertson: future superstar?

• Yes

Votes: 124 51.7%
  • No, just a good player

Votes: 116 48.3%

• Total voters

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews needs to get to Kucherov+Draisaitl level, arguably McDavid needs to get to Kucherov level(in playoffs for sure and so far lower peak in regular season, granted career regular season is not close). Robertson FWIW is a star, doubt he is ever a top 5 player in the game for any extended period of time(1 year+).
Good joke. Matthew already is far beyond Kucherov and Draisaitl.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
He's already a star player. If to be classified as a superstar he needs to hit the level of McDavid or Matthews then no. He will be one of the best wingers in the game for the next decade but doubtful he's ever a top 5 player in the league.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I love Robertson but people are throwing around comps like Hosea and Zetterberg and Kucherov way too casually. I don’t think he ends up sniffing that level. Those are Hall of Famers. I think Robertson can be a slightly better Voracek. People with short memories or are too young to remember Jake in his prime will think that’s some kind of knock on him. It’s not. It makes him one of the top forwards and playmakers in the league.

Development isn’t linear and just because he’s 22 doesn’t mean every year is going to get incrementally better than this one. He IS already a star. He should absolutely continue to be one.

Voracek isn't a very good comparison, Robertson is putting up a goal pace that is twice as good as any of Voracek's top goal-scoring seasons.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Top 5 player in the league? Probably not. He more than likely won't be a top 5 player in the league, but he's a Star player and will certainly be one of the best LW's in the game for a while I'd imagine.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There are A LOT more than just 5 superstars in the league, what is this??

He will be a superstar, but he will not be a top 5 player in the league. Most people definitely didn't read the question inside the thread before voting. Very bad poll.

toothlessgoon

Apr 18, 2020
There are A LOT more than just 5 superstars in the league, what is this??

He will be a superstar, but he will not be a top 5 player in the league. Most people definitely didn't read the question inside the thread before voting. Very bad poll.

How many superstars do you believe are currently in the league?

toothlessgoon

Apr 18, 2020
An elite player, or a generational player.

TSN ranked David Pastrnak, Mitch Marner, Alex Ovechkin and Jonathan Huberdeau as the 15th-18th best players in the league coming into the season. Of those players, I'd only consider Ovechkin a superstar (although TSN tends to underrate him). The others are good players. Looking at their list, they have Leon Draisaitl 5th, and I think that would be a good cutoff, although maybe you could extend it by 2 more players at most.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well he already is better than "just a good player".

I voted yes but top 5 in the league is better than "superstar".

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Everyone has their own defintion, so using wording like "Superstar" is subjective. I don't think he will be a superstar personally, but I think he can become a top 10 winger.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I don't see Superstar, but he's a Star. Similar to Marner.

For example, I think Panarin is a Superstar winger because of his consistent point production, challenging for a Hart etc. Kaprizov reached Superstar levels this year.

Rants is another guy on the "edge".

Obviously this is all subjective, but I don't think you can have more than 10-15 "Superstars" in the League at once and I don't see top 10-15 player. Yet. He's only 22 and the guys I listed above are > 24

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I love Robertson but people are throwing around comps like Hosea and Zetterberg and Kucherov way too casually. I don’t think he ends up sniffing that level. Those are Hall of Famers. I think Robertson can be a slightly better Voracek. People with short memories or are too young to remember Jake in his prime will think that’s some kind of knock on him. It’s not. It makes him one of the top forwards and playmakers in the league.

Development isn’t linear and just because he’s 22 doesn’t mean every year is going to get incrementally better than this one. He IS already a star. He should absolutely continue to be one.
That was me with those comps. I'm not predicting Robertson matching careers but those are guys who were fantastic players without ever becoming superstars.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad