News Article: Is Jake Muzzin a Norris Trophy-Caliber Defenseman?

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
It's actually an engaging read if people decided not to judge a book by its cover...

Thank you for this! It's been an ongoing battle trying to shake off my predecessor among other things. Hockeybuzz has some tremendous writers these days if people would give it a chance. Travis Yost has since gone on to TSN but he was fantastic. Bill Meltzer, Carol Schram, Eric Engels are equally as good. Plenty of others but I digress.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It is much appreciated.

Ron*

It's one of the best defense pairings in the league. Maybe the best.

Having said that, he is not Norris-worthy, simply because he plays on a team west of the Mississippi. The Norris trophy is only given out to those who play in the Eastern Conference and Chicago.

Never Nashville and never in the West. Period. End of sentence.

Oh! It's 10:30 EST! Time for Leastern hockey writers to go beddy-bye!
XEyK2M.gif

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I knew Muzzin had improved every year, but by THAT much each season? Makes you wonder if that contract could turn out a as bargain down the line.

Captain Mittens*

Matthew Barry had his own, unique, style of writing. While engaging, it also turned a lot of people off to hockeybuzz and the Kings content on there.

Agreed

He was more of a rumor monger and "hard copy" style of writer where you are more of a "traditional" writer

I like your style much better

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Agreed

He was more of a rumor monger and "hard copy" style of writer where you are more of a "traditional" writer

I like your style much better

Thank you!

I knew Muzzin had improved every year, but by THAT much each season? Makes you wonder if that contract could turn out a as bargain down the line.

Yea digging into it has definitely been a surprise when seeing how his numbers, minutes, and analytic stuff have all been trending so steadily upwards. The jump in TOI and points/60 from last year to this year is pretty awesome.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I always enjoy your articles and posts Jason. Great read as usual.

Who cares about the website it's on if the inherent content is solid?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ziggy's head just exploded.

I have always liked Muzzin. Once the game slowed down a bit in his head he started making a lot more plays. Doughty is playing a touch better recently, but most of this season he hasn't held up his end IMO.

I don't think Muzzin is Norris-caliber, but he is underrated by most people on this board. I would put him in the top 20% of NHL defensemen though.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
At the game last night, wearing my Preds MUZZIN jersey... (that's obscure) and honestly, he was pretty horrible for much of the game, but that being said, he was so much better than Greene and McNabb that he could apply to have his name changed to Norris, and I wouldn't be upset.

Martinez and Voynov = huge piece of this defensive puzzle...

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Matthew Barry had his own, unique, style of writing. While engaging, it also turned a lot of people off to hockeybuzz and the Kings content on there.

Not trying to knock you at all, just not a fan of him or Eklund. Genuinely want to read your article though.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
What do you guys think Muzzin's value is at. If Buffalo wanted him, what would you ask for (players, picks, prospects)?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
What do you guys think Muzzin's value is at. If Buffalo wanted him, what would you ask for (players, picks, prospects)?

I doubt the Kings would move Muzzin. It would take a massive overpayment on the Sabres part(Not worth it).

Doughty/Muzzin is a very good paring.

Captain Mittens*

It wouldtake a major overpayment to get Muzzin at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

How about Fasching, Grigorenko and the Sabres 1st overall in 2015? Sound good? What I'm trying to say is, a team would have to overpay to get Muzzin.

No, I was not serious with that proposal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad