Is Jagr the Greatest Right Wing of All Time?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1. Howe

2. Richard
3-7. Makarov, Jagr, Bossy, Lafleur, Kurri
8. Geoffrion

the rest

3-7 spots are close enough to be debatable, with Rocket edging the group.

Interestingly Howe dominated in an era with elite RW competition - M. Richard, Geoffrion, Bathgate, Litzenberger.

Lafleur, Bossy, Kurri, Makarov, saw careers overlap significantly.

Jagr..........well there was Iginla in spurts, St.Louis a few times, Alfredsson, Hossa.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Not only is Jagr the greatest right wing of all time, he's the greatest winger of all time. Jagr would have dominated every single era of hockey... hell his career spanned 3 eras and he thrived in each. He thrived in the KHL.
Jagr, in my opinion, is second only to Gretzky in greatness.

Reactions: Phil68

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Interestingly Howe dominated in an era with elite RW competition - M. Richard, Geoffrion, Bathgate, Litzenberger.

Jagr..........well there was Iginla in spurts, St.Louis a few times, Alfredsson, Hossa.

Selänne and Bure.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Not only is Jagr the greatest right wing of all time, he's the greatest winger of all time. Jagr would have dominated every single era of hockey... hell his career spanned 3 eras and he thrived in each. He thrived in the KHL.
Jagr, in my opinion, is second only to Gretzky in greatness.
Weird considering him and Lemieux overlapped and Lemieux was by far the superior player

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
Weird considering him and Lemieux overlapped and Lemieux was by far the superior player
I have an unpopular opinion on this issue and im okay with that. Its really difficult to compare the legends. Lemieux far and away had the higher peak, but for me what separated jagr from lemieux is the 'what could have been' factor. If mario had never had cancer or the second retirement, hed be above jagr in my book. And im not discrediting his comebacks by any means.
Jagr also skipped out on 200 nhl points by going to the khl but he still played hockey.
2 illustrious careers, jagrs is better.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have an unpopular opinion on this issue and im okay with that. Its really difficult to compare the legends. Lemieux far and away had the higher peak, but for me what separated jagr from lemieux is the 'what could have been' factor. If mario had never had cancer or the second retirement, hed be above jagr in my book. And im not discrediting his comebacks by any means.
Jagr also skipped out on 200 nhl points by going to the khl but he still played hockey.
2 illustrious careers, jagrs is better.

Even if you put so much emphasis on career value to have Jagr over Lemieux (which I think is a pretty fringe opinion), he's still behind Howe.

Reactions: Sentinel

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
Even if you put so much emphasis on career value to have Jagr over Lemieux (which I think is a pretty fringe opinion), he's still behind Howe.
Close call. Id still take Jagr.

Those early 90s pittsburgh teams were crazy. 8 HOFers. They should have won more cups.
I never saw howe play, but my grandpa who did swore on his life that richard was better.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
1. Howe

2. Richard
3-7. Makarov, Jagr, Bossy, Lafleur, Kurri
8. Geoffrion

the rest

3-7 spots are close enough to be debatable, with Rocket edging the group.

Richard is so overrated, if anything he is the odd man out of the group- which Jagr is edging. A joke that people rank somebody with 0 Art Ross above someone like Jagr.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

Interestingly all early Habs players on mega stacked teams, in a weak league, seems to belong in top 10 of all time :)

Harvey and Richard are like the pre-modern Doughty and Toews.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Interestingly all early Habs players on mega stacked teams, in a weak league, seems to belong in top 10 of all time :)

Interestingly, upthread, Pittsburgh with 8 future HHOFers in an expansion era - TB, SJ, OTT, FLA, is lamented as underperforming. Some number of future HHOFers as the 1959,60 Canadiens.Toronto had more.

Winning with talent, keeping everyone focused, is a skill that is conveniently overlooked.

Doughty and Toews? Says a lot about the players and teams that could not beat the Kings and Hawks.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
LMAO at the comparison of Rocket Richard to Toews.

You might have a point with Henri Richard.... though Henri was more of a skater/playmaker... in addition to being quite a bit better

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Close call. Id still take Jagr.

Those early 90s pittsburgh teams were crazy. 8 HOFers. They should have won more cups.
I never saw howe play, but my grandpa who did swore on his life that richard was better.

So how does this help your argument for Jagr?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
A truly unanswerable question ! How about ...Jagr was the 'greatest' (greatest is open to interpretation ) winger of his time period.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Toews was a heck of an all around player and Doughty is nothing less then a fantastic d-man. Not surprising they were impact players on the best teams in the world both in the n.h.l. and internationally.

I won't bother getting into Richard and Harvey, 2 legendary all timers, with Harvey being one of the absolute best.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Jagr/Lafleur thing is interesting. I rank them pretty close to one another. I can see the argument either way. I would tend to rank Jagr slightly higher than Lafleur because he played at an elite level longer and for more seasons, and also in more diverse team situations. I'm not quite sure that Lafleur could have dominated League scoring if he wasn't on a top team, whereas I know Jagr could have because he did. (Not that I want to 'punish' Lafleur for leading a great team!) But I can see the argument the other way. Anyway, they're close.

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
Right? Lol. Jagr won his cups on the strength of arguably the best player of all time having all time playoffs
Same can be said of lemieux...
Remember when kasparaitis made lemieux his bitch in 93?

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
The Jagr/Lafleur thing is interesting. I rank them pretty close to one another. I can see the argument either way. I would tend to rank Jagr slightly higher than Lafleur because he played at an elite level longer and for more seasons, and also in more diverse team situations. I'm not quite sure that Lafleur could have dominated League scoring if he wasn't on a top team, whereas I know Jagr could have because he did. (Not that I want to 'punish' Lafleur for leading a great team!) But I can see the argument the other way. Anyway, they're close.
Currently I have Jagr at 14 and Lafleur at 16 :)

But, Lafleur did, in fact, lead his team. With all due respect to Shutt and Lemaire, they were nowhere near his level of offensive genius. At least Jagr had Lemieux, Francis, and Kovalev... at times.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Currently I have Jagr at 14 and Lafleur at 16 :)

But, Lafleur did, in fact, lead his team. With all due respect to Shutt and Lemaire, they were nowhere near his level of offensive genius. At least Jagr had Lemieux, Francis, and Kovalev... at times.

wait, are you suggesting that kovalev is any closer to jagr's offensive genius than shutt and lemaire were to lafleur's?

i do, however, think that having mario, coffey, and trottier there at the beginning really helped him maximize his genius. francis and recchi had all-time vision too.

it's like when you have a smart kid and they put him in gifted class so the other prodigies push him, instead of just leaving him to be the smartest guy in a normal class.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Regardless of the reasons, both had roller coaster careers

And Litzenberger basically had three good seasons, the rest of it was meh.

Bure and Selänne were much better players. Ed Litzenberger isn't worth mentioning as 'elite competition'.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad