Is It Wrong To Be A Penguins Fan Impressed By Ovechkin?

RockTheRedDC

Apr 26, 2013
I don't care if Pens fans are not impressed by Ovechkin winning the Cup. I love the fact that they are feeling sadness and sorrow.
+1/
Honestly, I actually didn't care if we win or not SC. I was happy kicking fly-less birds but. :D

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It’s absolutely ok to like rival players. It’s your life, do whatever the f*** you want. Ovechkin’s awesome, and choosing to fly your team’s banner over recognizing and appreciating that is a disservice to yourself.

From a Stars fan who loves Subban.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I've always liked Ovi ok, and I've always enjoyed seeing him suffer, lose, etc. How can you not be entertained by his celebration thus far, or be upset that he finally got to win? Who cares. Had the Penguins not enjoyed THREE Cups in Ovi's time, all at his expense no less, perhaps it'd be tougher to watch. But after that, including 2 in a row, how Caps fans could think they're sticking it in Pens fans' faces is beyond me :lol:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lmao asking if it is wrong to be impressed by arguably the greatest goal scorer to ever live is so hilarious.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Is one even a hockey fan if he is not impressed by both these guys?

Example, I hate the Leafs with a passion and love to hate them, but I've always appreciate great Leafs players. Off the top of my head, I loved to watch Gilmour, Clark, Sundin, Potvin, CuJo, Belfour, Kessel, and even the current stars.

The hockey is entertaining and exciting and at the end of the day, isn't it why we are fans of the sport?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Just read all the ******** in your board. LMAO.

Unlike all the other hivemind goofballs that make up sports fandom, I don't just hang around people parroting what I prefer to hear because it makes me feel good. Soooo I don't hang out in there.

Anyway, for each of those types you get the pure hockey fan who appreciates all just as well.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Why do you,

Type in,

Short sentences,

Like this?

It is very fragmented,

And difficult to read.

Please use paragraphs,

For the sake of the English language.

Thank you.

And no. It is not wrong to enjoy watching OV. I am a Leafs fan but have loved OV, the Washington Capitals and to a lesser extent Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins since the lockout. If you're a hockey fan you enjoy watching good players. It's that simple.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
this playoffs was not different. he's been playing the same way for years and years -- and by the way, he's always only done exactly what his coaches have asked him to do.

Pens fans and to a lesser extent Canadians in general have been completely absurdly irrationally unfair to him his entire career. now that he's hoisting a cup, you're prepared to say he finally started playing the right way? pfff get out of here with that.
The original poster isn't entirely inaccurate. He was a pretty lazy player defensively early in his career but his overall game has improved immensely last past few years. He has been a more responsible player since Trotz got there.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
This is a silly thread. There are hockey fans (i.e., people who love the game) and there are fanboys (people who adore that special player, use LOL a lot, and get hard reading other teams boards). How can hockey fans (as opposed to silly fanboys) not be impressed with Ovi (or Sid)? If you didn't appreciate that moment for a very special player, you're not only not a hockey fan, you're probably not human.

Reactions: Captain And Coke

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
No there is nothing wrong with it. Now if you said he was better than Crosby there would be something wrong with it.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm not sure if this thread is just silly (asking if you're allowed to like an opposing player) or just a veiled diss at Ovechkin with every Pens fan chiming in how they were impressed with Ovechkin THIS playoffs, but implying (and not very subtly) that he was a lazy fat loser in the past.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Perhaps....

But 2007-2010 Ovechkin was a loser....and 2017-2018 Ovechkin is a winner. Thus....respect.
Ovechkin always was and is a winner. Your crazy habit of appointing team success to that of one player is amazing. By your logic every scrub that got a great seat in the pressbox, but luckily with a winning team is a winner.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As a Pens fan, I've never been a fan Ovechkin.

Also, I felt like I was watching a different player than everyone else.

Sure he scored and he hit.

But man... he was THE laziest defensive player I have ever seen.

I don't claim to watch every Ovechkin game... but I've seen him lots against my Penguins.

Watching him was like a powerplay at both ends.

And so many times he was situationally unaware.

I can remember watching a Penguins game where it was 3-1 with 2 minutes to go and Ovechkin was cherry picking for a full shift trying to make it 4-1. The Penguins held the puck for a full minute like it was a powerplay.

That kind of stuff made me despise him as a player. I've never personally been a fan of players that only play a part of the game.

But this playoffs was different...

He scored... but I expected that.

I saw him do things I had never seen.

Ovechkin was near his own goalie.

He blocked shots. He helped out on defense. He did all the little things.

And for that, I totally tip my hat to him.

It was really impressive to watch.

Is this wrong?

Yes; off to the vivisectionist with you..... :punk:

Nothing wrong with acknowledging greatness!

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Sharks fan, only watched the last game of the SCF to cheer for Ove to get his cup. Never wrong to cheer for champions.

member 157595

If you cannot put aside team fandom to be a fan of a rival player when it's warranted, I would feel bad for you.

This is Alex Ovechkin, an incredible talent that busted his ass for one and only one team for over a decade only to be a part of heartbreak after heartbreak, and he finally lead his team to the top of the mountain, getting the Penguins' proverbial monkey off his back in the process.

Ovechkin finally holding that trophy, his team's first (in a city full of clusterf*** sports teams, by the way) after everything he's gone through? This is what sports are all about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
NO! I am a Wings fan, and always liked Joe Sakic and respected him even during the bitter rivalry with the Avs! He was probably the only player on their team I was happy to see win the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad