is it worth making the playoffs?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I dont see how the return for those guys would put us over the top...

I dont see how you could trade those guys they all have NTC...

I dont see how you will 'get a good UFA or 2' if your team suck and miss the playoffs...

Good point, but Montreal doesn't typically land big UFAs anyways which is why I think building through the draft and trading for prospects is the way to go. We need a top pairing dman. A scoring winger (can be had via trade) and a couple top 2 line forwards. We have a better chance landing that through the draft instead of overpaying in trades or overpaying mediocre UFAs.

I say make the playoffs. Sure. But the focus should be the future.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Simple question for you guys.

If you ask me i think not. I may not have as many posts then most of you fellows but ive been on this site for about 10 years and im just sick of watching the same old habbits by this organization.

It is time to get some changes going on. I say move players while they have value(Markov, Moen, Gionta) pile up draft picks for this years draft. Thry to move up in the draft and get a guy like Nick Ritchi, land a good ufa or 2...

I dont mean to burst your bubble but really we dont stand a chance against teams like Boston, Pitsburg or even St-Louis if we get there!

I mean what are our chances? whats our first line? Gallager,Desharnais,Pacioretty...come on:shakehead

Here's an idea. Go to the Edmonton Oilers website and look at what they have been doing the last several years. And then look at this season's record.

You will discover your answer without needing a poll.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
"any team can win".

Not bad teams. Name me a bad team that has won a cup.

Bad teams don't make the playoffs. Nor do bad teams make the Cup finals.

That said, the New Jersey Devils in 95 were by no means a "great" team. They were certainly weaker on paper than who could have been either of their opponents in the Cup finals: Chicago was an excellent team that lost three overtime heartbreakers to the Red Wings and Detroit was pound for pound the best put together team in the league. The Devils sweeping them was the height of the "Yzerman Choker" label. The fact he couldn't even be top 10 in playoff scoring on that team led to him almost getting traded to Ottawa or Montreal.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
Yes because you never know what can happen in the playoffs

It puts extra money in the bank for the team. All playoffs games are bonuses.

And it is considered a really weak draft so no point in tanking.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Simple question for you guys.

If you ask me i think not. I may not have as many posts then most of you fellows but ive been on this site for about 10 years and im just sick of watching the same old habbits by this organization.

It is time to get some changes going on. I say move players while they have value(Markov, Moen, Gionta) pile up draft picks for this years draft. Thry to move up in the draft and get a guy like Nick Ritchi, land a good ufa or 2...

I dont mean to burst your bubble but really we dont stand a chance against teams like Boston, Pitsburg or even St-Louis if we get there!

I mean what are our chances? whats our first line? Gallager,Desharnais,Pacioretty...come on:shakehead
I disagree with ya...I think we can beat Boston. Rask don't play us well and Price is having career year.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Bad teams don't make the playoffs. Nor do bad teams make the Cup finals.

That said, the New Jersey Devils in 95 were by no means a "great" team. They were certainly weaker on paper than who could have been either of their opponents in the Cup finals: Chicago was an excellent team that lost three overtime heartbreakers to the Red Wings and Detroit was pound for pound the best put together team in the league. The Devils sweeping them was the height of the "Yzerman Choker" label. The fact he couldn't even be top 10 in playoff scoring on that team led to him almost getting traded to Ottawa or Montreal.

Bad teams luck out and make the playoffs a lot of times. Habs have had some poor teams make the playoffs.

That Devils team was still pretty good as they had a budding superstar goalie, had a HOF coach and HOF players.

Richer, Andreychuck, Housley, Neidermeyer, MaClean, Thomas, Holik, Guerin, Daneyko... Were they a powerhouse? No. But they were a good team that had the main ingredients to winning a cup. Good coaching, elite goaltending, good defense and leadership.

Good teams lose in the playoffs all the time. I never said they didn't. however, bad teams get exposed in the playoffs soon enough.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
It is worth making the playoffs yes, however if a guy like Markov doesn't want to sign a reasonable contract, then you deal him and try and make the playoffs with who u have

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
If you answered no, just go be a Leafs fan. You'll be right at home.

Always strive to make it, I'd rather a miniscule chance at a championship than no chance.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Voted yes. This draft isn't promising enough to just give up on making at least 1 round in the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Im for trading some of our possible UFA at the end of the season but I still say we should go for it. Most fans have been asking for more ice time and bigger roles for some of the kids. It would be a beneficial experience for the them and the team.

Once, you`re in you never know. Im not saying that we have the team to win but I dont think anyone had us as contenders in 86 and 93. Playoff success is highly influenced by match ups.
Even if you put Price = to Roy... those teams were night and day better.

Even Patrick Roy couldn't win a cup with the roster we have playing the way it is. No chance.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Bad teams luck out and make the playoffs a lot of times. Habs have had some poor teams make the playoffs.

That Devils team was still pretty good as they had a budding superstar goalie, had a HOF coach and HOF players.

Richer, Andreychuck, Housley, Neidermeyer, MaClean, Thomas, Holik, Guerin, Daneyko... Were they a powerhouse? No. But they were a good team that had the main ingredients to winning a cup. Good coaching, elite goaltending, good defense and leadership.

Good teams lose in the playoffs all the time. I never said they didn't. however, bad teams get exposed in the playoffs soon enough.

He was still a Leaf in 95.

I really don't believe you guys could fall enough to make it worth it. Plus as many have said, the experience for the children is worth it

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Ask the Kings if it was worth making the playoffs as the 8th seed in 2012.

Kings were and still are a playoff team. They also did a ridiculous win streak to get to that 8th spot.

Montreal isn't a playoff team.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Seriously guys... its maybe just me after 20 years of supporting the club. I cant stand it anymore.. whenever its the "new" revuilduing process I just dont care anymore... I have given too much of myself to this club time, money and emotions. Now I want to be comoensated... until this team is a team I feel is 1. Good enough to challenge for a cup... or the moment I feel a gm in place will do everything to get to the nedt level ill take some distance from the habs... yeah I dont think its worth to make the playoffs since we clearly arent looking to win a cup right now.

mrcontractor*

I voted no. Crap team booted out in 4 just to give Molson more $$$ ? No thanks. If we don't make it at least maybe there will be changes.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Seriously guys... its maybe just me after 20 years of supporting the club. I cant stand it anymore.. whenever its the "new" revuilduing process I just dont care anymore... I have given too much of myself to this club time, money and emotions. Now I want to be comoensated... until this team is a team I feel is 1. Good enough to challenge for a cup... or the moment I feel a gm in place will do everything to get to the nedt level ill take some distance from the habs... yeah I dont think its worth to make the playoffs since we clearly arent looking to win a cup right now.

Go follow another team. Or follow no team. Look at my username.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Is it worth making the playoffs? Yes. Always is.

Will we win anything in the playoffs this year playing this way? Not a freakin' chance. We'll be dusted in five games (six if Price stands on his head).

If we had a competent coach I'd feel better about a playoff run. We ought to be able to win a round and possibly two with this roster given how weak the east is this year.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'm a Habs fan, I've been a Habs fan my entire life. I've seen them win championships and I've lived through the dry spell lately.

There comes a time when the good of the organization and it's long term needs have to be put in front of the "here and now," crowd. At some point somebody with a set of balls has to make those tough moves that may hurt some people's feelings, but will ultimately benefit the long term winning chances of this franchise.

We haven't had a guy that's been able or willing to do that for a very long time.

Anyone who has watched this years version of the Habs knows that they aren't going anywhere. They might win ONE playoff round, but they would be dispatched quickly after that and are not true contenders for the cup. Why? Because they are far too small up front, there is no enough talent up front, and their Blue Line isn't deep enough.

I don't advise packing it in at all, but I do think that if you have some players that can be converted into assets for the long term benefit of the franchise, in a year where there is no chance to come out on top, than you have to convert those players into assets. Andrei Markov is a guy the Habs stuck with when he was injured, and he could bring back a first round pick and a prospect. We have young players like Tinordi and Beaulieu who are ready to play in the lineup and deserve a chance to develop. Travis Moen is another piece that could fetch a draft pick. The bottom six is crowded and he can be replaced by a younger cheaper option.

Marc Bergevin has tried his best to help with the size issue, and has helped in that regard... He made a bold move in trading Erik Cole which was great, only to ruin it with the acquisition of Briere. He picked up Dale Weise who has added some grit and speed to the bottom six.

It's time to make a couple larger deals that will help this team. Markov is the guy that will bring back the largest return. I hope that he will move him, as I truly thing that it's in our organization's best long term plans to do so...

Just my 0.02$

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad