is it worth making the playoffs?

the jpageman

Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
Simple question for you guys.

If you ask me i think not. I may not have as many posts then most of you fellows but ive been on this site for about 10 years and im just sick of watching the same old habbits by this organization.

It is time to get some changes going on. I say move players while they have value(Markov, Moen, Gionta) pile up draft picks for this years draft. Thry to move up in the draft and get a guy like Nick Ritchi, land a good ufa or 2...

I dont mean to burst your bubble but really we dont stand a chance against teams like Boston, Pitsburg or even St-Louis if we get there!

I mean what are our chances? whats our first line? Gallager,Desharnais,Pacioretty...come on:shakehead

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
When the Sharks moved Clowe and Murray last year they didn't give up on the playoffs.

Make the playoffs, keep giving the kids some extra experience going forward

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Maybe.

We have a ****** team and a ****** coaching staff.

Yet.

We have Price, Subban, Plekanec, Pacioretty and a few other guys. If they're all hot at the same time, we could go far. Especially the first one. Our core is really not any weaker than the other good teams. We have the best goalie in the world with the best Dman in the world. The only team that can come close in that field is LA. Anyway, with a coaching change in the near future (2 weeks) I'm pretty confident we can do some riding in the playoffs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
When the Sharks moved Clowe and Murray last year they didn't give up on the playoffs.

You can't include Markov in that discussion, completely different impact.

I think missing the playoffs, though we'd get a pick 5-7 spots higher would hurt the long term success of the team. It doesn't mean they can't win a cup in 2-3 years, but there is a psychological price paid, plus it makes it harder to et UFA's and resign players to home town discounts(perception is big).

Success breeds success and failure breeds failure.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
PTWTG-450x244.png

Of course it's worth it. I'm not saying the team should be buyers at the deadline. I'd even be down for them trading a few players for picks. I don't want the team to just be complacent and start losing every game though. I want to see the team win every game, even if it's a meaningless one.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who would give up on a season entirely in exchange for picking 5-8 spots higher in the draft.

I mean lets face it, even if we did miss the playoffs we wouldn't miss them by so much that we'd have a chance at a top-5 pick, so why not make the playoffs?

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
I always want us to make the playoffs. It is usually exciting, even when we lose. I think the team with which we made it to the conference finals was, in many ways, worse...so I don't write off our chances of doing damage.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Glad to see its 11-0 right now. Its worth making the playoffs every year. If anything just to give the young guys more experience

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The team has to learn how to win in the playoffs at some point. The sooner they get the chance, the better. Keep at it. Build in parallel. Make enough extra money that ownership never feels tempted to dip below the cap. Grow a winning tradition that makes free agents look more favourably on signing with your team. Etc. It's always better to make the playoffs than miss them.

Oct 22, 2012

Make the playoffs, keep giving the kids some extra experience going forward

The habs can't touch the sharks offense wise, but I agree shed some weight, promote the youth and anything can happen come playoff time.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who would give up on a season entirely in exchange for picking 5-8 spots higher in the draft.

I mean lets face it, even if we did miss the playoffs we wouldn't miss them by so much that we'd have a chance at a top-5 pick, so why not make the playoffs?

It's not really about picking higher. It's about getting rid of the dead weight so we can acquire assets that will finally help the team get over the hump.

Wouldn't you like to get something for Markov, Gionta, Murray, etc...instead of pushing for the playoffs and getting knocked out early?

We've been doing this for the last 10 years. The team has glaring holes and if we're not going to fill those holes by trading for or signing established players then we need those draft picks and prospects.

So I don't mind some short term pain for long term gain. Don't give up on the playoffs, but get rid of the UFAs you don't need to sign just like SJ did.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yes, while we arent a contender or the favourite to win the cup, we could cause surprises. Our young players like Subban, Price and Max Pac could gain some playoffs experience.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I can't believe people said no! Obviously now you can't see them winning the series let alone the cup but its anyone's game in the playoffs even the worst looking teams can win if hey ride a hot streak or a great goalie.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's not really about picking higher. It's about getting rid of the dead weight so we can acquire assets that will finally help the team get over the hump.

Wouldn't you like to get something for Markov, Gionta, Murray, etc...instead of pushing for the playoffs and getting knocked out early?

We've been doing this for the last 10 years. The team has glaring holes and if we're not going to fill those holes by trading for or signing established players then we need those draft picks and prospects.

So I don't mind some short term pain for long term gain. Don't give up on the playoffs, but get rid of the UFAs you don't need to sign just like SJ did.

How he f%%$# is Markov dead weight?

That alone makes your post terrible.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You play to win, you abdicate only when you have to.

It's ludicrous to even think that a team should play like turds just to land a better draft pick -- no management team works that way. Ownership has a responsibility to season-ticket holders and corporate sponsors-- they're not interested in a watered-down product.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
We have the same thread every year, and every year I give the same answer. Yes it is worth making the playoffs.

It gives are younger players a chance to play on the biggest stage.

And how do you even know that Reinhart Ekblad or Bennet will pan out to be as good as they are advertised. This is one of the weakest drafts in the past 5 years.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

Agree totally about trading Markov, Gionta, Murray now...but it doesn't mean we will miss the playoff also. The way Price has played this year will keep us in the playoff pictures until the end of the year.

But we need to make moves for the near future also. Markov alone with get us a good young player in return plus picks so to me we need to make this move. We all love the playoffs but even better is having the Montreal Canadiens as a real contender ever year is so much sweeter.

So if we miss the playoff this year and are a better team next year because of our great trades... I have no problem with that.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
This is a horrendous thread.

Yes, it is worth making the playoffs when you have an Olympic Gold Medal goalie and a Norris winning defenseman and a decent crop of young forwards with a couple potential future perennial all stars (Galchenyuk and Pacioretty).

The worst part of our team is our coaching.

This thread is a joke.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I have zero interest in the playoffs if Habs lose Markov and Gionta for nothing and trade a 1st round pick+ Leblanc for Moulson and the Habs are out of the playoffs by round 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad