Is it Weird that Tavares is Playing in the IIHF Tournament Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
This one feels strange to me, and I feel like I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere.

He’s getting old, he has a young family, he just went through a heartbreaker first round exit yet again, and yet he’s throwing on the C for a Canadian team that is mostly (with zero offence intended) B and C tier players.

What’s the deal with this?

If he’s worried about his lack of winning legacy, these types of tournaments can’t be the solution, and it doesn’t look like a group of guys he’d be super tight with based on playing history, it just all seems a bit odd.

Not necessarily bad, just odd, like I don’t understand where the drive is coming from. Interesting PLD is there as one of the few notable names, not a guy I’d expect to be playing more hockey than he’s contractually required to.

Full roster here: Rosters | 2024 IIHF World Championship

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This one feels strange to me, and I feel like I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere.

He’s getting old, he has a young family, he just went through a heartbreaker first round exit yet again, and yet he’s throwing on the C for a Canadian team that is mostly (with zero offence intended) B and C tier players.

What’s the deal with this?

If he’s worried about his lack of winning legacy, these types of tournaments can’t be the solution, and it doesn’t look like a group of guys he’d be super tight with based on playing history, it just all seems a bit odd.

Not necessarily bad, just odd, like I don’t understand where the drive is coming from. Interesting PLD is there as one of the few notable names, not a guy I’d expect to be playing more hockey than he’s contractually required to.

Full roster here: Rosters | 2024 IIHF World Championship

I think Tavares wants to be on the next Olympic team, and this is him showing Hockey Canada that he’s a good soldier. I believe the brass have actually told the players that these events will be considered when selecting best on best teams.

Also, getting out of the country when the media is going to talk about you is a bonus.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
He’s trolling all the haters from the other Tavares thread who are crying to strip the C off his Toronto jersey.

Gonna go Captain Team Canada just for them.

Seriously though…
why wouldn’t he go if invited?

Reactions: Goose and Kazparov

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
When his career is over and he looks back on this tournament i think he will be happy. Got to captain his country at the World Championships, not many can say that.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I think Tavares wants to be on the next Olympic team, and this is him showing Hockey Canada that he’s a good soldier. I believe the brass have actually told the players that these events will be considered when selecting best on best teams.

Also, getting out of the country when the media is going to talk about you is a bonus.

Ah yeah this makes sense.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't know if I would call it weird. It makes me question his intentions. I think it was already stated, but he wants to show the hockey world that he's relevant. Fine by me. I hope he does well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He’s trolling all the haters from the other Tavares thread who are crying to strip the C off his Toronto jersey.

Gonna go Captain Team Canada just for them.

Seriously though…
why wouldn’t he go if invited?
No I think he did a fine job trolling all his undying supporters with his god awful playoff performance of 2 points in 7 games. Gonna be a great day when he's off the team.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
JT never takes a day off. Not surprising he went.
He has never been fleet of foot, and it shows more as he ages. Great guy, was a very good player, captain, but at best these days he is 3rd line.
Nice for him to help out in tournament. Class guy,

Reactions: PROUD PAPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad