Is it to late?

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
I'm 15 right now and I'm wondering if its too late for me to learn how to ice skate, learn how to play hockey on ice (I.e. the techniques), and play on an actual team? I've never played on a team or ice. Is it to late for me to begin? How would I improve my skills? I guess people will host skills night or something at local rinks. Its always been my dream to play hockey.....

IkeaMonkey*

It's never too late. Even if it takes you 3 years to get the skating down, you can play in a rec league.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
I am 21. Once you get to 21 you realize how young you still are at 15 :amazed:

No WAY you are too young man. Get some skates and go to public skating as often as you can to start out. It will take time and hard work but it is worth it. Once you learn how to skate there is nothing like it.

Once you feel pretty comfortable skating then get some money together and buy all the equipment and sign up to play. At 15 you can still learn thing fairly easily - just go for it.

On a side note I talked to a guy in his late 30's or early 40's who had just learned to skate/play hockey about 3-4 years prior and he was quite a good skater. Take that as some inspiration.

IkeaMonkey*

GregB4 said:
On a side note I talked to a guy in his late 30's or early 40's who had just learned to skate/play hockey about 3-4 years prior and he was quite a good skater. Take that as some inspiration.

I played with a guy like that last summer. He picked up the game in 8 months supposedly from what his girlfriend told me. Of the 4 of us practicing, he was the best. He was I think 36.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
Drop The Gloves said:
I'm 15 right now and I'm wondering if its too late for me to learn how to ice skate, learn how to play hockey on ice (I.e. the techniques), and play on an actual team? I've never played on a team or ice. Is it to late for me to begin? How would I improve my skills? I guess people will host skills night or something at local rinks. Its always been my dream to play hockey.....
too late... for what?

if you just want to learn the game and play in a recreational league, it is not too late (i know plenty of people that pick up hockey after they are 20 and play in the lowest league.. they are no good but they can play)

if you are thinking about NCAA etc etc... it is slightly late.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
No way are you too old. I didn't start playing street hockey until i was 16, now at 23 i've been with the local team for about 6 years and been captain for about 4. Admittedly, in the english coutryside there aint as much competition as there would be for a team in north america but all the same, if its something that you want to do - go for it. It'll take time to get some of the basics down to a T, but as long as you really want to play hockey, you will find the time to work on your game and enjoy it. If its what you want, then you should be a decent player within a few years.

And if you want any drills or advice on improving technique or about equipment, just ask around on here, i'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to help you.

Now go and get some equipment and play some hockey ;)

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
I think I might take some skating lessons.

The only thing im worried about is my parents taking me seriously. They might not want to waste money on hockey equipment if I dont play. But I do want to play. Maybe when I get a job i'll have a better shot.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Drop The Gloves said:
I think I might take some skating lessons.

The only thing im worried about is my parents taking me seriously. They might not want to waste money on hockey equipment if I dont play. But I do want to play. Maybe when I get a job i'll have a better shot.

Spend your money on skates and go with cheap and/or used stuff for the rest until you prove to them that you're serious.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Buy used skates, shin pads, gloves, etc. I normally buy sticks, jock and helmets first-hand. Its still expensive though. But the best thing is to go out to shinny if there is a rink nearby. You still probably will want some protection on your front (though you may not want all the gear). You will fall alot and lesson #1 is to fall forward... you don't want to fall backward. The second thing to learn is balance... that is one of the hardest things to learn. Maybe you will want a chair or something to lean on. Once you have balence, you just need to understand that the point of skating is to use the various frictional forces to move. You will look like **** at first, but its not a big deal... its nice to see new blood play the game.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have zero athletic ability/talent and I started playing a year and a half ago at 17. I went out to as much shinny as possible and joined a beer league. I have continuously improved and I am now a solid house league quality defensman. I'm better than alot of people who have played for a long time because I work hard and have made a serious effort to learn the game, despite my complete lack of talent.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
DaveyCrockett said:
I have zero athletic ability/talent and I started playing a year and a half ago at 17. I went out to as much shinny as possible and joined a beer league. I have continuously improved and I am now a solid house league quality defensman. I'm better than alot of people who have played for a long time because I work hard and have made a serious effort to learn the game, despite my complete lack of talent.

this is a perfect example. all you have to do is work hard at it. get as much experience as you can and eventually, if you dont give up, itll become second nature for you. all it takes is a lot of hard work and patience.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I didn't start until I got to graduate school at the age of 21, and four years later I was playing ACHA collegiate hockey as a goaltender.

My story is probably a bit of an extreme one, but my last season there were two seniors on the team who started playing intramural hockey as freshmen and just kept playing. They weren't first-liners or anything, but it was still quite a feat.

The key is to play as much as you can - you've got a bit of an advantage in that, unlike kids who started when they were five, you're not burned out yet.

The other key is to play because you love to play - not because you think that you have to get to X level by the time you're age Y.

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
I'm also confused about how I'll be able to practice. Playing floor hockey and playing hockey on ice is two different things. I keep thinking it must be hard to shoot on ice and keep your balance. Will rinks hold practices or skill training sessions? Or will I have to just tryout for a team and make a fool of myself?

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Drop The Gloves said:
I'm also confused about how I'll be able to practice. Playing floor hockey and playing hockey on ice is two different things. I keep thinking it must be hard to shoot on ice and keep your balance. Will rinks hold practices or skill training sessions? Or will I have to just tryout for a team and make a fool of myself?
Drop in Shinny, Public Skating, Stick and puck sessions, Instructional sessions, Recreational league, and the list goes on.

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
Alright, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to check out what my local rink offers.

I feel really good about this. Thanks for the help and support guys.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
You're going to do just fine. Remember that, with hockey growing in a lot of American markets, there are a lot of people out there in the same boat as you. Chances are, if you show up to a drop-in (pickup) skate some day, there will be five or six others learning just as you are.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Go ahead and play.

I didn't start until I was about that age and I've always had a blast. Unless you are some phenom, it's probably too late to play professionally, but 99% of us only play because we love the game anyway.

I'm playing DIII Club right now, mostly 4th line, but I love it. Skill wise I've gotten pretty good, it's just I've never been a very good skater. Regardless, I go out and enjoy every second of it.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
I agree its never to late. I skated inline for 1 summer then started ice skating over the winter. ive been ice skating for almost 1 year now and ive goten pretty good. I joined an adult ice hockey league last month and scored my first goal in my 2nd game. Theres nothing quite like scoring a goal in a real game! Im 27 now, I wish had played in high school.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's never too late. Don't know about your area, but there are plenty of different divisions for varying skill levels.

I really only started playing when I was 20, and I like to think I'm a decent goalie now four years later.

Like most hobbies, instant gratification probably will be hard to experience, but if you stick with it, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
I started at the same age. Before that I only played street hockey on roller blades. I thought I was really good at street hockey and was really discouraged after my first few games cuz I just plain SUCKED at skating. I must have fallen like 10 times in my first game. But don't worry if the same is the case for you, you'll get much better relatively quickly. After a couple seasons you'll feel really comfortable and by the time you're my age, 20, you'll feel more comfortable on the ice than you do walking around. But unless you have some incredible untapped athletic talent, don't expect to make Junior or the NHL. But that's ok, most people never even play with someone who makes it to the NHL, even if they've been playing since they were 6.

Moon Man*

I know a few people who didn't start playing until their freshman year of university (including learning how to skate) and are playing fairly competitively now. It's never too late. You won't be an NHL player, but you can still play.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I just turned 18.. and I have skated around maybe 20-30 times.

I finally got all of my equipment in order and i'm hitting the ice for the first time (with all my gear) on Thursday for RIT's skate and shoot time. :yo:

I can't tell you how excited I am. I don't know how i'll adapt to skating with a stick, shooting, etc tho. I have never been on ice with a stick, never passed, never took a shot..

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
I too was a late bloomer.. I didn't start till I was 12 but if you work hard and love the game you'll pick it up quick. Stopping was the hardest part for me, but it comes with the whole balence thing. Once you get the skating and balance down the rest falls into place pretty easily.

The best piece of advice I can give you is never get discouraged. If you do you lose the passion for the game. When I was 16 I had an awful coach and he was so caught up on winning that my line never got any playing time. What was more disgusting is we were a small team and only had 2 lines. 3rd period in tight games we'd never see the ice. I got pissed and quit and I've regreted it every day since. Just keep on truckin and don't let people get you down. Keep us updated on how your journey into hockey comes along. Best of luck from your buds up north!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad