Is it time to hang 'em up....

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
OK, so I just turned 50 in March. I've been playing hockey since I was about 5 years, skating since I could walk. Never got to a high level, just played house league, had to take about 2 or so years off as a 12 year old do to bone cancer (ribs) I had, so that was the end of super competitve aspirations I would have had. Once cleared by doctors it was back to hockey. Post high school, I was playing up to 4 times a week, and really pushed myself and took some adult clinics, and considered myself a step about good, but nowhere near junior calibre, let alone pro. Basically I loved the game, loved playing, coached, helped other guys I was playing with improve, did the whole rec league stuff, tournaments, etc.

FFWD to now....... I realize at 50 I am not going to be the same player I was in my 20s, into my 30s even......you slow down, and such is life. The group I have been playing with for probably the last 10 years (once a week), minus the 1.5 years of covid down time, are a great bunch of guys, all age groups, all skill levels. We play Wed nights at 9pm at an arena 10 minutes from my house, and sometimes get extra ice, so on the ice sometimes until 10:30. I will say 2/3 of the group love to hit the pub after, but for me that is much too late on a Wednesday, my wife and I have to get up for work the next day. I can still keep up with the play no problem, am honestly middle of the pack skating wise, playmaking (hands) is among the better, but it's my energy level that is holding me back.

I have a feeling, and I am getting this investigated, that my turn with covid a couple years ago, may have caused some of the issues. My lungs just aren't there anymore like they were. I am also having 1 minor heart related thing getting looked at (heart is fine, but something about resting heart strength is a touch below what it should be for someone my age and background), so doctor and cardiologist are saying no high intensity activity (hockey is one) until they finish all the testing. Also, I will admit that I am about 20 lbs over what my ideal weight is.

So.... playing hockey is becoming more like a chore, not a fun time on the ice with the guys anymore. It's like something I just do, more than something I get super excited about. I sometimes think it's the group I play with, but at the same time until 2 years ago I'd be looking forward to our pick up ice time starting in September - I'd still get those super excited butterflies (you all know what I mean by this), but not anymore.

Is it time to hang 'em up and just cheer on my team? What have my fellow HF boarders experienced like this? Will I feel bad for not playing....I don't know, and am not so sure. I will never just go through the motions, as that is a waste of money and my time.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
OK, so I just turned 50 in March. I've been playing hockey since I was about 5 years, skating since I could walk. Never got to a high level, just played house league, had to take about 2 or so years off as a 12 year old do to bone cancer (ribs) I had, so that was the end of super competitve aspirations I would have had. Once cleared by doctors it was back to hockey. Post high school, I was playing up to 4 times a week, and really pushed myself and took some adult clinics, and considered myself a step about good, but nowhere near junior calibre, let alone pro. Basically I loved the game, loved playing, coached, helped other guys I was playing with improve, did the whole rec league stuff, tournaments, etc.

FFWD to now....... I realize at 50 I am not going to be the same player I was in my 20s, into my 30s even......you slow down, and such is life. The group I have been playing with for probably the last 10 years (once a week), minus the 1.5 years of covid down time, are a great bunch of guys, all age groups, all skill levels. We play Wed nights at 9pm at an arena 10 minutes from my house, and sometimes get extra ice, so on the ice sometimes until 10:30. I will say 2/3 of the group love to hit the pub after, but for me that is much too late on a Wednesday, my wife and I have to get up for work the next day. I can still keep up with the play no problem, am honestly middle of the pack skating wise, playmaking (hands) is among the better, but it's my energy level that is holding me back.

I have a feeling, and I am getting this investigated, that my turn with covid a couple years ago, may have caused some of the issues. My lungs just aren't there anymore like they were. I am also having 1 minor heart related thing getting looked at (heart is fine, but something about resting heart strength is a touch below what it should be for someone my age and background), so doctor and cardiologist are saying no high intensity activity (hockey is one) until they finish all the testing. Also, I will admit that I am about 20 lbs over what my ideal weight is.

So.... playing hockey is becoming more like a chore, not a fun time on the ice with the guys anymore. It's like something I just do, more than something I get super excited about. I sometimes think it's the group I play with, but at the same time until 2 years ago I'd be looking forward to our pick up ice time starting in September - I'd still get those super excited butterflies (you all know what I mean by this), but not anymore.

Is it time to hang 'em up and just cheer on my team? What have my fellow HF boarders experienced like this? Will I feel bad for not playing....I don't know, and am not so sure. I will never just go through the motions, as that is a waste of money and my time.

I’m 48 now and stopped playing competitively about ten years ago because my back is just f***ed.

I was still able to get on the ice and mess around with my daughter and teach her the game, and even play a little shinny with her and some of her friends/parents.

But my back has taken a turn for the worse the last year and I haven’t been on skates since December, and am now starting to come to grips with never even lacing up again.

My only advice is to find maybe an easier league where you don’t have to exert yourself as much.

It’s really hard when you play this game all your life and have to give it up, even if that’s just lacing up for fun like I was doing the last few yrs.

Maybe find another way to get on the ice in some way.

Ie, I know I’m a shell of who I was in my younger days, and my competitive days are never coming back,

However if my back ever heals up, and when my daughter leaves home, I plan to coach blind players.

Just being on the ice and helping them, seeing their passion for this game - would be enjoyable as hell for me.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
First off, congrats on getting through that bone cancer as a kid, that is incredible!

I'm a couple years younger than you, 48. I started playing when I was 14, and played bantams through juniors, all house level. Then I did beer league off and on from age 20 until now. Many of those teams were forgettable and only two have stuck in my mind as unforgettable in a good way, including my current one.

This team is comprised of mainly "older" guys, I think one guy is in his early 60's, and our youngest is 38. It by far has been the best group of guys I've played with. Meaning, yeah we have won our division the last two seasons, but more importantly, its just a great group of guys. There isn't "that guy" on the team that everyone wishes wouldn't return. No one is an ice hog, everyone brings beers on their turn, etc. Sometimes people get fired up on the bench and yell at each other while out on the ice, but its not a toxic thing. No hard feelings at all. I do have a few things on my mind though that make me question if I want to continue to play.

First one, cost. Back in 2021 a season (12 games, plus 2 playoffs) was $360. That same season in 2023 now costs $525...$37.50 per game. Not the end of the world, but not cheap. There are three seasons a year, and my wife started playing two years ago. So we are looking at $3,000 a year for hockey.

Second issue, league parity. While yes, we have won the last two seasons, its because we are a well rounded team, not because we bring in ringers. Last season we lost to the two teams we faced in the playoffs during the regular season. We came from behind in both playoff games to win. Its not like we blew everyone out. I think we even finished 3rd in the regular season. I know the ringer issue is prevalent everywhere, and "it is what it is". But it is bullshit when teams bring in junior elite players and the league director doesn't give two shits. My wife plays one level above rookie, and they get blown out every game. I've watched a few games and I'd say half her team should still be in rookie, and the opponents they play, well half their team should be in the next division up. It is frustrating, and it sucks.

Last issue, potential injury. Yes, I can get pasted by an 18 wheeler in an intersection when going outside, etc. But as we know there are so many hot-heads in beer league. I play defense and try to avoid net-front battles as much as possible. Most times I will just stand next to the forward and when the puck comes his way, lift their stick. But sometimes some guys lean in hard with elbows up, etc. I give them a shove as the shot comes (not a cross-check) and then I get the "WTF BRO!?!?" from them. Also, there is the random freak of nature catch an edge and go awkward into the boards thing .

I can't tell you if you will miss it, but I did take a season off sometime last year as a way for me to kind of reset, and see if I missed it. I did miss it. Yes there are organized pick-ups I can play and I've done it once. I didnt know anyone so it just felt like "whatever". But I am also getting to the point of where I don't want to fork out $1500 a year (for myself) to play hockey. It is a conundrum for sure. I do also fish (saltwater harbor fishing) from shore and in a float tube, and I love the tranquility of it all. Part of me wants to play hockey as long as I can physically still play, but the dad in me of me wants to save money too. We are a family of 4 and live in SoCal.

Not sure if any of this helped you @Cams but its just how I am feeling about beer league.

Reactions: Cams

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
OK, so I'm 48. Played one year as a kid, didn't like it, quit. Went back to the game about 5 years ago, have really enjoyed it. I mostly suck, but feel like I'm very slowly getting better.

So I have just a few random thoughts:

1. If your doctors are saying no hockey, then you should probably pause playing hockey!

If that doesn't end the conversation...

2. OK, so it's a sport meant for fun. If you're doing it only for the physical fitness aspect, there's way cheaper ways of trying to keep fit. If you aren't having fun, then yes you should quit. That being said... I do sometimes have the feeling when I have a 10pm ice time of "damn, I don't really want to go tonight". But when I do force myself to go, I have a great time. So double check with yourself if you aren't actually having fun at the games themselves.

3. OK, so you say you play with a mix of ages and skills. Age is one thing, but skill is another. I can tell you I kind of rejuvenated my enjoyment of the game one year ago when I went out and found a different team to play with - a team with the express intention to stay at a low skill level. Nobody on my team used to play junior hockey or whatever. We have a bunch of middle-aged guys, but the guys in their 20s have generally never played. or one guy who does have experience is also 300 lb+ with bad knees. So that might be an option for you. But that being said I'd only played with my old team for 4 years (and in that time over half the original players had left), so you might be far more attached to your current team.

That being said it doesn't sound like you're a low-level skill player, rather a "good but not great" who is getting older. But still finding a team that matches your ability level is something to consider.

4. Check your local area but there are old-timers leagues. I think they usually start at 55. I think the problem there though is they usually assume you're retired and have ice-times accordingly. But something to look into.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
@beedee Thank you. It was an interesting couple years, plus dealing with moving to a new school, new house.....

This group I play with is just a pick up group - it's been a while since I played in a league, and I think I'd enjoy that more as it's more structured (lines/penalties/etc.), but that ship has sailed.
Cost isn't really an issue, as this group I play with has a corporate sponsor that the organizer works at and we get ice from Sept 6, until mid March for $245 CDN - not a bad deal, and we play on our local OHL team big bowl (not that I care about that - some do).

Ice time is never an issue, we have a ton of rinks with ice all year round. Sadly, I can't golf all year here, courses close from November until April (we have snow!). May look into indoor golf league???? There are options, and I did recently pick up model building (both kits and I have a knack/passion for building model ships (great lakes freighters to be specific).

Definitely going to do some hockey soul searching, and thanks for your comments - we have a great hockey community!

Reactions: beedee

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
It sucks getting old sometimes. I just turned 50 this year. I had my sort of hockey crisis when I was around 40. Just was not feeling it. My brain would say do this, but my body just couldn't. So, I was thinking about hanging them up. But while I was thinking about it, life decided to step in. Turns out that I had, a hyperthyroid, which was causing the lack of energy.

By the time I got diagnosed and started in on treatment, which was about a month, I'd lost a little over 20 lbs of muscle. That messed me up pretty good, especially when on the rebound, I regained 30 lbs, mostly fat. It took years for me to even come close to feeling normal again.

As part of recovery I was going to stick and puck, and I was pretty much at square one. I'd lost so much muscle I could barely skate. I've been skating since I was 6, and it was a very foreign feeling. But just goofing around on the ice working on reacquiring my modest skills, I had time to do some soul searching. I started to ask myself what I wanted out of the game. As I thought about that, I started to remember what I loved about hockey. I just like being on the ice. In some ways practise is more fun to me than actually playing sometimes.

For me, It's more about the people than the hockey now. I just decided that last year was going to be my last in men's league. Now, I'm focused on pick up and fun co-ed on the weekends, where I can hang out after the game and shoot the shit with friends.

With that said, in the last 10 years, I figured out a few things that helped me regain a little bit of my youth so to speak. First, I started to do maintenance on my body. I started to stretch. It's funny how many of my aches and pains either went away or are kept in check by simply stretching. From back pains to wrist to shoulder issues. all a nonissue now. The increased flexibility has also let me get low again, and get that stride length a bit longer.

Second, my weight, I dropped a little over 25 lbs. It's funny how much easier getting around was when I didn't have to carry the equivalent weight of three good sized babies.

And third, hockey is not enough in terms of exercise. I didn't matter how many days I played. I found out during Covid, just how not in shape I was, even though I played a lot of hockey. With no hockey during shutdown, I started running. Oh god, at first, just running a mile made me feel like I'd been hit by a Mac Truck. Buy the time everything started opening up again, I was running 3 miles, 4-5 times a week. I hate running, but I know, in addition to helping with hockey, it helps me feel good in my day to day.

Combine the weight loss with the much better cardio, I feel way better at 50 than I did at 40. On a good day, it feels like I can skate forever. I remember during an early game, a traffic accident had made it to so my team only had two subs on the bench for the first two periods, one D sub and one F sub. For the first bit, every time I wanted to change, another forward would beat me to it. I was feeling good, so I ended up staying on the ice for the whole two periods. I scored the only goal during that time, and it felt like any time I needed, I could just go. I always had my legs.

I know you have your health questions now, and hopefully you get through that all good. But while you have some down time, think about what you want out of hockey. If it's nothing. Then there's your answer. But if there's something you do want out of it, focus on that and set your expectations accordingly.

Any way, that's my story. Hopefully there's something useful there.

Stickler

Aug 30, 2023
I grew up in Montreal, skated a bit but bever played organized hockey till I moded to the US.
Starting at age 35, I played the game for 25 years until back and neck issues signaled the time to hang 'em up. That was over 5 years ago, and I miss it every day.

Here are a few articles on the subject you might appreciate:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Seems to me that you want to keep playing but maybe not on a regular basis. The 'chore' you're referring to is the commitment to your team. Why not find either some drop-in opportunities or offer yourself up as a spare, if either of those things exist where you live? At 50, who cares if your team wins or loses? Get out, chase a puck around, break a sweat and go home.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
That's the thing...if it were a league / team I have been playing on I'd likely feel the drive more than just the pick up group I've been with.

I went from playing 4X a week in winter, and twice in the summer to recently only 1 night a week in winter.

I do have to wait until I talk to my one doctor before 'strenuous activity", but I am slowly coming to terms with calling it quits unless I can find another group maybe. I'm not doing the get rid of all my gear route, but think I am going to focus on other things.

Don't get me wrong... I still love the game, and always will. Maybe this break will help.

I appreciate the comments and support.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Lol. I am exactly 48 as well and played since i was 4. I stopped last year when I got my hip replaced. There are plenty of guys who continue after that, but while the surgery was a success I can feel a little difference and don't want to risk it. My doctor at my year checkup basically said "sure, you can do whatever you feel comfortable with, I just wouldn't recommend it. You'll just wear it out faster and need another one quicker".
I also have knee replacement(s) in my future which are just a matter of when. So, it's really time to figure out what life, wellness, and exercise look like after hockey. Besides, drinking more calories than you burn doesn't take weight off your knees.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I very much dread reaching this point...but i do understand that there is a point where the mind is willing, but the body is not.

Personally i'm an imbecile and i believe i'll at least be skating in some capacity until i die. But more realistically...i'm an idiot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I very much dread reaching this point...but i do understand that there is a point where the mind is willing, but the body is not.

Personally i'm an imbecile and i believe i'll at least be skating in some capacity until i die. But more realistically...i'm an idiot.

Ya I was like that in my teens and early 20s.

I’d make the old man jokes with my friends about eating applesauce through a straw when I was in my 40s, but I figured I’d be playing this game in some capacity forever.

Before my back truly went out in December, I’d still have my moments in pickup games and whatever.

I had stopped playing competitively in my mid 30s because my back pain was getting to be agonizing.

When my daughter was born, I got back on the ice to help her and my back was always sore, even just skating around, but I pushed through it for her.

By this point my explosiveness was mostly gone, but I’d still have my moment in pickup games with parents/kids from my daughters teams.

Once in awhile if a talented parent came at me I’d go from messing around to finding my 20 year old self for a moment and do something cool.

My proudest moment is making two AA kids hit into each other, along with my daughter.

When my daughter asked how I pulled off that kind of crazy move it felt good that she could see I wasn’t always old and dad was a pretty good player in his younger days.

But that’s all that’s there, just momentary bursts. It’s a weird ass thing to explain until you actually experience it.

It blows knowing how badly my 20 year old self would dunk on my current self if I could even get back on the ice and time travel, but you slowly learn to accept it because Father Time is undefeated.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Cams

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
That's the thing...if it were a league / team I have been playing on I'd likely feel the drive more than just the pick up group I've been with.

I went from playing 4X a week in winter, and twice in the summer to recently only 1 night a week in winter.

I do have to wait until I talk to my one doctor before 'strenuous activity", but I am slowly coming to terms with calling it quits unless I can find another group maybe. I'm not doing the get rid of all my gear route, but think I am going to focus on other things.

Don't get me wrong... I still love the game, and always will. Maybe this break will help.

I appreciate the comments and support.
Here's the heresy I'll say on a hockey board: hockey's not the only thing to do.

I quit playing after college. I was involved as a coach and referee for the next 30+ years but I never had the burning passion to play, partly because my burning passion was about competing more than it was about playing.

I found other outlets for my competition. And I found other ways to keep fit and active. I'm a hockey guy, for sure, but there are so many other things to try. Fly a kite. Go for a run. Learn to knit. Buy a metal detector. If it ain't filling your cup, go do something else.

Figure out what it is that made you interested in playing hockey and find out where you can get the same thing. I've played soccer and softball and curling and football and basketball (all way, way worse than I ever was at hockey) and I currently get my competitive kicks by beating runners half my age in marathons. If it's the social aspect, find a poker group or book club. Seriously. the biggest thing hockey people forget is there is a great big world outside the arena.

And you never know. After a year off, you might find that you want to go back. That's allowed too.

Reactions: DaveG and Cams

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ya I was like that in my teens and early 20s.

I’d make the old man jokes with my friends about eating applesauce through a straw when I was in my 40s, but I figured I’d be playing this game in some capacity forever.

Before my back truly went out in December, I’d still have my moments in pickup games and whatever.

I had stopped playing competitively in my mid 30s because my back pain was getting to be agonizing.

When my daughter was born, I got back on the ice to help her and my back was always sore, even just skating around, but I pushed through it for her.

By this point my explosiveness was mostly gone, but I’d still have my moment in pickup games with parents/kids from my daughters teams.

Once in awhile if a talented parent came at me I’d go from messing around to finding my 20 year old self for a moment and do something cool.

My proudest moment is making two AA kids hit into each other, along with my daughter.

When my daughter asked how I pulled off that kind of crazy move it felt good that she could see I wasn’t always old and dad was a pretty good player in his younger days.

But that’s all that’s there, just momentary bursts. It’s a weird ass thing to explain until you actually experience it.

It blows knowing how badly my 20 year old self would dunk on my current self if I could even get back on the ice and time travel, but you slowly learn to accept it because Father Time is undefeated.

Sometimes the weather changes significantly and i'm like..."owww i can feel it in my bones".

And i feel old,.

I'm pretty sure i could score at will against my own teenager self though.

I was predominantly a goaltender at that point though. I took a break and then picked it back up as a skater...so as much as i enjoy playing the game...i kinda suck. But i could definitely score on myself.

I always think about getting back into being a goaltender...but it's insanely expensive and things have changed so much i just haven't ever taken the plunge. lol.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Here's the heresy I'll say on a hockey board: hockey's not the only thing to do.

I quit playing after college. I was involved as a coach and referee for the next 30+ years but I never had the burning passion to play, partly because my burning passion was about competing more than it was about playing.

I found other outlets for my competition. And I found other ways to keep fit and active. I'm a hockey guy, for sure, but there are so many other things to try. Fly a kite. Go for a run. Learn to knit. Buy a metal detector. If it ain't filling your cup, go do something else.

Figure out what it is that made you interested in playing hockey and find out where you can get the same thing. I've played soccer and softball and curling and football and basketball (all way, way worse than I ever was at hockey) and I currently get my competitive kicks by beating runners half my age in marathons. If it's the social aspect, find a poker group or book club. Seriously. the biggest thing hockey people forget is there is a great big world outside the arena.

And you never know. After a year off, you might find that you want to go back. That's allowed too.
For sure.....I wish I could golf all year, but from October to April the courses here are not open. I have a couple other hobbies that I enjoy as well (not sports related).

I always said to my self, and even to my wife, over the years that I'd like to keeping playing regularly until I'm at least 50, so I guess I attained that goal.

It's just that playing, while still enjoyable, became less fun over the last couple years. Once you aren't having fun with something I think you have to question why you stay involved with it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sometimes the weather changes significantly and i'm like..."owww i can feel it in my bones".

And i feel old,.

I'm pretty sure i could score at will against my own teenager self though.

I was predominantly a goaltender at that point though. I took a break and then picked it back up as a skater...so as much as i enjoy playing the game...i kinda suck. But i could definitely score on myself.

I always think about getting back into being a goaltender...but it's insanely expensive and things have changed so much i just haven't ever taken the plunge. lol.

My 13-14 year old self… if my back was feeling ok I’d probably handle him pretty easily.

My 18-22+ year old self would wreck me hard… if he felt like it.

I was a pretty nice kid at that age so I would have probably been like “just make the old guy look good so he doesn’t feel too bad about himself”.

But I’d know what I was thinking…. so I’d still feel bad… see?

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I’m 48 now and stopped playing competitively about ten years ago because my back is just f***ed.

I was still able to get on the ice and mess around with my daughter and teach her the game, and even play a little shinny with her and some of her friends/parents.

But my back has taken a turn for the worse the last year and I haven’t been on skates since December, and am now starting to come to grips with never even lacing up again.

My only advice is to find maybe an easier league where you don’t have to exert yourself as much.

It’s really hard when you play this game all your life and have to give it up, even if that’s just lacing up for fun like I was doing the last few yrs.

Maybe find another way to get on the ice in some way.

Ie, I know I’m a shell of who I was in my younger days, and my competitive days are never coming back,

However if my back ever heals up, and when my daughter leaves home, I plan to coach blind players.

Just being on the ice and helping them, seeing their passion for this game - would be enjoyable as hell for me.
same boat for me. Finally had to hang em up for good at age 50 after having back surgery #8.

Beat my body up so bad by continuing to play with a terrible back that now its gotten so bad that I can't even be on the ice as a coach except in very small doses. Tough to skate when you can't feel parts of your left foot.

Seems like you need to find a level of competition that makes you happy. That's what I kept doing as my back got worse and worse and I got older and older. By the end I was only playing with other old guys in private rat skates 3x per week usually very early in the morning. Despite being at the end of my road it was still some of the most fun I've had playing hockey.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
same boat for me. Finally had to hang em up for good at age 50 after having back surgery #8.

Beat my body up so bad by continuing to play with a terrible back that now its gotten so bad that I can't even be on the ice as a coach except in very small doses. Tough to skate when you can't feel parts of your left foot.

Seems like you need to find a level of competition that makes you happy. That's what I kept doing as my back got worse and worse and I got older and older. By the end I was only playing with other old guys in private rat skates 3x per week usually very early in the morning. Despite being at the end of my road it was still some of the most fun I've had playing hockey.

I think the group I've been playing with is fine competition wise, although at times it sucks knowing that I used to be at the level of the younger guys (30s), and I was happy with that. Getting back into league play was something I was tossing around, but at the end of the day, I think walking away for at least this season will be good for me.

I've been lucky.....I got over a knee issue that required a brace at one time, and some neck issues (thanks to being headlocked and driven headfirst into the ice in my old Sunday AM beer league like 20 years ago). Hockey injuries have been few and far between...there is the above, which resulted in a concussion...on Jan 2 of that year (Happy f'in New Year)....a couple knee sprains, and some stitches here and there. Any back issues or other knee issues were not hockey related.

It seems like after my turn with covid, the lungs aren't what they used to be, plus the downtime resulted in me not being as in shape as I was...20 extra pounds is a lot to carry around.

I don't feel bad/down for not playing this year.....so maybe that says something in itself. Life is strange sometimes!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Beat my body up so bad by continuing to play with a terrible back that now it’s gotten so bad that I can't even be on the ice as a coach except in very small doses. Tough to skate when you can't feel parts of your left foot.

Ya I feel your pain - literally.

It’s embarrassing to write, but last winter I was talking to my daughter and reached into the fridge to get a water and it felt like someone stabbed my lower back with an electric butcher knife.

The shelf was only waist high and I barely even bent down, sadly.

I screamed so loud my daughter went through every human emotion in like 3 seconds when she realized I wasn’t being funny and was in complete agony.

Haven’t stepped back on the ice since that incident.

Honestly that has to be one of the lamest reasons anyone ever had to quit hockey.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Friends, if you're having back issues, I must suggest you find yourself a yoga studio. Good core muscles make for happy backs.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
For sure.....I wish I could golf all year, but from October to April the courses here are not open. I have a couple other hobbies that I enjoy as well (not sports related).

I always said to my self, and even to my wife, over the years that I'd like to keeping playing regularly until I'm at least 50, so I guess I attained that goal.

It's just that playing, while still enjoyable, became less fun over the last couple years. Once you aren't having fun with something I think you have to question why you stay involved with it.
I know I already replied, but over the past few days I've decided I'm going to take next season off. We have 6 games left in this season. With the holidays coming up, freakin' car registration ($$$ in SoCal) and a few birthdays in the mix I can really use that $525+ for other things.

In my game last on Wednesday night I was feeling kind of whatever. The more I think about it I feel like I'm really out there for the social aspect. As I mentioned in my other post, I do go float tube fishing with friends on the weekends and have a blast. I guess I need to ask myself is the cost of the social aspect of hockey worth it to me? (yes I know its great excercise too) I know I can always come back to sub if I want throughout next season, but sub fees are $45 per game as of now.

Just getting more stuff out of my head here, thanks for reading.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am turning 55 this year. Still play, coach, referee. Still have some juice. I am going to try to hang around for at least 7 more years so I can play on a line in men's league with my son and grandson.

You have to still enjoy yourself to still play.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Ya I feel your pain - literally.

It’s embarrassing to write, but last winter I was talking to my daughter and reached into the fridge to get a water and it felt like someone stabbed my lower back with an electric butcher knife.

The shelf was only waist high and I barely even bent down, sadly.

I screamed so loud my daughter went through every human emotion in like 3 seconds when she realized I wasn’t being funny and was in complete agony.

Haven’t stepped back on the ice since that incident.

Honestly that has to be one of the lamest reasons anyone ever had to quit hockey.
lol yea that's lame, but you're talking to the idiot who waited until back surgery #8 (all sports related) to finally call it quits. And now I suffer every day and will for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Mr Jiggyfly

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So just one thing. Everyone has to make their own judgments about their own health and how they feel when they play.

But I do know guys who are playing in their 60s and even 70s. And yes we of course joke with them about being "too old", but that's just hockey.

If you can still move around there's no such thing as too old to play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad