Is it time to do this!!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The injuries have been up front and not on the blueline, so I don't know if there's an appetite to make a change back there for any other reason right now.

Reactions: stickty111

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd rather watch Sandin than Ceci on any given night
Sure you would , just like I keep reading there’s an endless supply of better players on the Marlins , until of course they come up and show they aren’t ready or crap .

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Dump Ceci and use the dough to get a legit # 2 Goalie - Sandin can play in our top 6

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Dump Ceci and use the dough to get a legit # 2 Goalie - Sandin can play in our top 6

Dubas is a big Ceci supporter. I'd be surprised if he admitted that the player he traded for is a failure. Perhaps the plan always was to bring up Sandin after 1/2 a year of seasoning in the minors. His defense core has been an utter disaster to this point.

Crows Eye

Oct 22, 2019
Unfortunately, I suspect Cici’s market value has dropped and other GMs will smell the desperation in this move and want to low ball any return. By high and sell low is never a good way to trade.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Ummm - now lets not get techincal ..haha

"There has to be a sucker out there" ( Said Pierre Dorion June 2019 ) :)

cut.jpg

You mean another one.....right?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but where do we dump him too?
If Codi Ceci was traceable do people really think Kyle Dubas a GM who gets meme'ed for his focus on advance stats in determining player worth(rightfully or wrongfully depends on the player and context) would choose to willingly keep him on the team are on crack.

Cody Ceci is a cap dump with negative value at 4.5 million. He prob is not worth a mid round pick or two at 50%. We will need to ride him out and use the cap space from going from zaitsev--> ceci to try and hopefully fix the roster defense for next year.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Taking Ceci off of Riellys pairing might not end up pretty.........

Ceci without Rielly:

TOI: 119:19
5v5 goal differential: 63.34
Goals against/60: 2.01

Ceci/Rielly pairing:

TOI: 421:54
5v5 goal differential: 49.30
Goals against/60: 2.14

Rielly without Ceci:

TOI: 120:04
5v5 goal differential: 33.16
Goals against/60: 5.01

The sample sizes are large enough to say Ceci has been carrying him pretty hard all year defensively. Kinda strange so many seem to think its the other way around though. Riellys hard numbers away from Ceci are nothing short of brutal. Taking Ceci off the team might also be catastrophic. Right now he has a solid combination of having one of the lowest 5v5 goals against/60 in the league combined with one of the hardest quality of competition numbers all while being on (paired with Muzzin) one of the best PK parings in the league.

I dont mind seeing how the experiment plays out with Muzzin Holl in the shutdown spot though. Gives Rielly a break from the hard minutes to see if he can get the scoring going and it looks like Ceci being paired with Dermott is gonna allow Dermott to get elevated QoC he needs...at least thats how it played out last game.

Reactions: hobarth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sure you would , just like I keep reading there’s an endless supply of better players on the Marlins , until of course they come up and show they aren’t ready or crap .

So what in particular about Sandin's play with the Marlies suggests he is not ready or is "crap"?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
cut.jpg

You mean another one.....right?

Kyle Dubas:

“Cody is an interesting one. I think it goes back to the war between data and subjective scouting [in that] he seems to be a very polarizing player,” Dubas said. “Even when everything underlying about him has been relatively solid, especially when you consider his usage [as a top-pairing defenceman who averages 22:19 of ice time per game], it seems to be every tiny thing that he does becomes a referendum on whether he’s good or not, which is mind-boggling to me. Every defenceman that plays that much and plays in that role is going to [make] mistakes. I think he’s been a good addition for us and has played above expectations from when we acquired him and we’re very happy with him.”

Maple Leafs GM gives interesting take on ‘polarizing’ players

It sure is mind boggling, Kyle.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Considering we will need both Sandin and Lil next year because of the cap, they should get some NHL time.

Trade Barrie and call up a kid, he’s gone anyways and a one year rental makes it a terrible Kadri trade, a return makes sense.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Kyle Dubas:

“Cody is an interesting one. I think it goes back to the war between data and subjective scouting [in that] he seems to be a very polarizing player,” Dubas said. “Even when everything underlying about him has been relatively solid, especially when you consider his usage [as a top-pairing defenceman who averages 22:19 of ice time per game], it seems to be every tiny thing that he does becomes a referendum on whether he’s good or not, which is mind-boggling to me. Every defenceman that plays that much and plays in that role is going to [make] mistakes. I think he’s been a good addition for us and has played above expectations from when we acquired him and we’re very happy with him.”

Maple Leafs GM gives interesting take on ‘polarizing’ players

It sure is mind boggling, Kyle.

It sure is. Cecis numbers are rock solid. I dont think the D is the problem on this team though. The forwards are doing double duty giving the puck away in dangerous spots while not converting on their own chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad