Is it time to develop Kulemin as a Center?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Why? What's the point. You already have a centre in Holland who can play that 3rd line role, and is comfortable in playing that position. Doesn't make sense to get Kulemin to play centre and have him adapt to a whole set of responsibilities when he wouldn't fair any better than Holland would, and then wait it out until Bolland returns.

I'd think get Kulemin playing center because it increases his value around the league. Holland doesn't need to be on this team for the rest of the year.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I'd think get Kulemin playing center because it increases his value around the league. Holland doesn't need to be on this team for the rest of the year.

I don't think his value is going to increase much in the span of a week. GMs and scouts know who this player is. Playing center, even if he plays well, will not change that one iota. If anything, it'll speak volumes about the leafs lack of depth at centre and not Kulemin's keen ability to play the position.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why shouldn't he or maybe he won't make any demands and just go the ufa route and see if someone offers him a ridiculous contract like Clarkson got.

The Oilers at a minimum will give Bolland 5 x 7.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think his value is going to increase much in the span of a week. GMs and scouts know who this player is. Playing center, even if he plays well, will not change that one iota. If anything, it'll speak volumes about the leafs lack of depth at centre and not Kulemin's keen ability to play the position.

I mean in the lng term. If we hypothetically move him there and let Bolland walk. Centers are always more valuable than wingers.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Kulemin's got more reasons to re-sign than Bolland, hopefully he'll take a longterm contract at a lower AAV, maybe 5-6 years at 3.5-4 mil. Guy's got a young family here, I'm sure that'll weigh in on his contract demands. Stick Holland and one of Clarkson/Bodie/Ashton/D'Amigo/Broll/Komarov on his wing and that becomes a solid defensive/energy line that can put up some points. Only problem is that if we keep him at center, we'd have to spend another 4+ mil on a winger for the Kadri line unless someone steps up big.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Why? What's the point. You already have a centre in Holland who can play that 3rd line role, and is comfortable in playing that position. Doesn't make sense to get Kulemin to play centre and have him adapt to a whole set of responsibilities when he wouldn't fair any better than Holland would, and then wait it out until Bolland returns.

Holland is an AHL prospect brought in as an emergency measure when Bozak was injured. We are not about to cement him on the 3rd line. Kulemin is no guarantee either but worth a look for the game he brings.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Holland is an AHL prospect brought in as an emergency measure when Bozak was injured. We are not about to cement him on the 3rd line. Kulemin is no guarantee either but worth a look for the game he brings.

So, instead of putting a natural centre on the 3rd line, you would rather role the dice on a player who's never played the position and might not even any improvement if he plays to his potential? It reeks of desperation and the team doesn't need to be. Holland is capable of playing 3rd line until Bolland is ready, and he's played more than decent while he's been here.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Why?

Are you one of those people that have a fetish for second round draft picks?

I think it's because he might be making contract demands that are more than he is worth, and that might make Nonis either trade him for whatever assets he can get or let him walk at free agency.

Maybe he isn't one those people that has fetish for 2nd round picks, maybe he's just afraid that Nonis might come March 5th. :dunno:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Keep Bolland, dump Kulemin

Holland Bolland Clarkson
or
Bolland Holland Clarkson

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Nonis better not let all our glue guys go.

I know he didn't have a choice with Komarov, he had to buy out Grabo (I guess), Frattin was moved in a good deal, and I wish he had kept MacA but it wasn't a huge loss.

But all these little things are adding up, and the bottom six guys who fill out the roster are slowly fading. If we lose Bolland and Kulie are team will be a lot worse.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nonis better not let all our glue guys go.

I know he didn't have a choice with Komarov, he had to buy out Grabo (I guess), Frattin was moved in a good deal, and I wish he had kept MacA but it wasn't a huge loss.

But all these little things are adding up, and the bottom six guys who fill out the roster are slowly fading. If we lose Bolland and Kulie are team will be a lot worse.

He really isn't left with much choice but to let someone walk if they're looking to score a big money long term contract like Clarkson did .

If the cap is 71 mil like it's being projected to be then it only leaves us with about 21 mil to sign 9 players to fill out a 22 man roster .

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They need to move cheaper young players into their bottom 6 rather than stacking more long term deals to restrict their future decisions. Kulemin AND Bolland back is a mistake to me. I am not sure if they are serious about NK as a center or are just tinkering, but watching him in that spot has me now thinking I would like to see him resigned.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't see him being in the top 6 and I think they'll want a cheaper option in the bottom 6.

Are you one of those people that have a fetish for second round draft picks?

No.
I don't expect him to be moved at the deadline. They'll part ways in the off season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds ominous what Dreger said yesterday, Kulemin will be dealt before the trade deadline.

Think it depends on Bolland coming back, the sooner he does, the more likely it will happen.

Kule is in great demand. Making it Hard for Nonis to say no.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yeah, the writing is starting to be written pretty clearly on the wall for Kulemin. Breaks my heart, it does.

I hope he gets traded to a contender at least then.

Kyle Doobas*

Id rather have Kulemin than Dave 'I only play 15 games but can demand 8 years' Bolland
Do you understand how negotiations work?

Bozak was asking for $5M over seven years or something along those lines as well.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it's because he might be making contract demands that are more than he is worth, and that might make Nonis either trade him for whatever assets he can get or let him walk at free agency.

Maybe he isn't one those people that has fetish for 2nd round picks, maybe he's just afraid that Nonis might come March 5th. :dunno:

Out of curiosity, do you know something the rest of us dont?

He has a young family here, longest serving leaf, has expressed his interest in staying with toronto and low interest of leaving this city even saying that Grabo leaving has no bearing on his personal preference (all well documented in the press).

Does this sound like a guy getting ready to demand top $?

If Nonis makes a hockey decision not to keep him, thats one thing, but we need to admit that and i want to know who we are replacing him with. Whatever he is worth doesn't mean you will find a replacement to eat those minutes elsewhere. If fact, i doubt you find them at all.

Also, based on Komarov's interest to come back and play for Leafs it wouldn't be such a bad idea to factor that in while thinking about Kulemin (always nice to have one guy on the team that speaks the same language!

To me, Kulemin & Komarov for $5mil/3 years together is worth more to leafs than Bolland @ $5mil/8 years.

Don't get me wrong i love Bolland but 7-8 year deals for a guy coming off a VERY serious injury is pretty risky!

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Out of curiosity, do you know something the rest of us dont?

He has a young family here, longest serving leaf, has expressed his interest in staying with toronto and low interest of leaving this city even saying that Grabo leaving has no bearing on his personal preference (all well documented in the press).

Does this sound like a guy getting ready to demand top $?

If Nonis makes a hockey decision not to keep him, thats one thing, but we need to admit that and i want to know who we are replacing him with. Whatever he is worth doesn't mean you will find a replacement to eat those minutes elsewhere. If fact, i doubt you find them at all.

Also, based on Komarov's interest to come back and play for Leafs it wouldn't be such a bad idea to factor that in while thinking about Kulemin (always nice to have one guy on the team that speaks the same language!

To me, Kulemin & Komarov for $5mil/3 years together is worth more to leafs than Bolland @ $5mil/8 years.

Don't get me wrong i love Bolland but 7-8 year deals for a guy coming off a VERY serious injury is pretty risky!

I do not know anything about the situation that the rest doesn't, I am speculating on the subject as much as you are. I must say, however, that him having family here, playing here all his career, and expressing interest in resigning doesn't necessarily have any bearing on contract demands and his future with the team. In the end, none of us know Kuli or his agent, and we're just conjecturing.

I agree with you on Bolland, $5 mill is bad enough but a 7 or 8 year term is just insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad