Is it time to develop Kulemin as a Center?

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Simple question. If there is a shred of truth to Bolland's demands, coupled with the fact that he looked pretty darn good there before the Olympic break, could Kulemin be the perfect 3rd line center?

He plays physical
He is superb defensively
Solid offense
(Hopefully) wouldn't be too expensive
Established in the team, existing chemistry

Needs remain a top-9 winger and defenseman to play with Gardiner but this just makes so much sense to me.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Solid offense? He's ok offensively, but wouldn't say solid. Keep him on the wing, and let Holland take over the 3C spot.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I think we'll get a better indication soon with bolland remaining on the LITR. Would be a shame to see kulimen take bolland's spot at #3 C but with his contract demands, i can see why we might choose to go this route

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lacks determination and ability to drive a line. He needs a spark to play with because he does not have the tendency to step it up to often. If he could fix that about himself he could be a very reliable 2nd line PF in the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think Kulemin's days as a Leaf are almost over.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Develop him as a Center if Holland doesn't work out. He's already versitile as a winger and center but to keep him as a center for an extended period of time would likely be for a permanent shift in position.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
minus Kulemin and Bolland, Leafs are a worse team....simple as that.

Obviously Bolland's contract demands (if true) are out of whack, but loosing both of these guys will be a massive loss to our Defence, PK and counter attack situations, in the least.

I just don't see any UFA's replacing what these guys bring to the table and am still convinced that Kule can be had at a significant discount on a 3-4 year deal. Limited no-trade, $2.75-$3mil/per....get er done Nonis.

Bolland, hopefully agrees to take on a 2 year deal in the $4 - $4.5 range. Alternatively, we hold onto him past the deadline and try to resign him after the season (once we can gauge his post-injury performance).

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Absolutely. He's actually gotten better defensively since being moved to centre and has generated two assists in two games as a centre. He covers the middle of the ice beautifully and limits offensive chances, he also has a very good breakout. His fault is his vision and faceoffs (which can be worked on).

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Must be looking for more than Clarkson right?

Why shouldn't he or maybe he won't make any demands and just go the ufa route and see if someone offers him a ridiculous contract like Clarkson got.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Lacks determination and ability to drive a line. He needs a spark to play with because he does not have the tendency to step it up to often. If he could fix that about himself he could be a very reliable 2nd line PF in the NHL.

I just don't see his goals/assists getting to 2nd line levels. His best season came when he had much more pressure to provide offense so a transition to a 3rd line that is responsible for providing a fair amount of offense as well as being defensively responsible I would hope would be a role he would embrace.

Ace88*

If Kulemin ends up being a good 3C then i have no issues with letting Bolland walk, move Kulemin to that centre spot, and bring Komarov back to round out that 3rd line.

It just seems to good to be true though.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think Kulemin's days as a Leaf are almost over.

i think it depends on how the bolland situation plays out. i suspect that kulemin will be looking for less then bolland. i would rather keep kulemin and slot holland in the #3 spot then blow my load overpaying for bolland

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
If he's back, which he should be; I'd keep him on the wing. Whether it's with Bolland or Holland or whomever, he's an integral part to our success.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think it could work. However, I don't see the need for it with Holland.

I think Holland will work out... the kid looks great! However if for whatever reason he doesn't work out, I would rather go out and get a more talented center rather than developing kulemin who is never gonna be a superstar center. So if we ever do get that elusive #1 center, I would put him on the second line with Lupul and Clarkson and then have Kadri as our #3 center because Kadri seems like the type of guy that can make the most out of his wingers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If Kulemin is the center he's shown in a very, very small sample size, and improved his abilities on the dot, there's no question I go with Kulemin. Same age,less money,power forward type,our best defensive forward and isn't on the IR every year. Issue being, we have no freakin' clue whether he can play center long-term.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'd think he'd get less than Bolland because he wasn't won a cup. Cups entitle you to 300 year/$6 trillion dollar contract extension apparently.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Simple question. If there is a shred of truth to Bolland's demands, coupled with the fact that he looked pretty darn good there before the Olympic break, could Kulemin be the perfect 3rd line center?

He plays physical
He is superb defensively
Solid offense
(Hopefully) wouldn't be too expensive
Established in the team, existing chemistry

Needs remain a top-9 winger and defenseman to play with Gardiner but this just makes so much sense to me.

:laugh:

If this is the case, Bolland must be considered "elite" offensively....we better re-ink him.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Why? What's the point. You already have a centre in Holland who can play that 3rd line role, and is comfortable in playing that position. Doesn't make sense to get Kulemin to play centre and have him adapt to a whole set of responsibilities when he wouldn't fair any better than Holland would, and then wait it out until Bolland returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad