Is it time to call up Dustin Wolf and see what he can do?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly, right now I have zero confidence in either Markstrom or Vladar. Markstrom has played in 14 games and out of those 14 he's had one outstanding one (vs Pittsburgh on Oct 25 where he had a .970 Sv% on 33 SOG)... maybe two if you count the Carolina game on Oct 22 (.926 Sv% on 27 SOG). The rest of the games he's struggled and his current Sv% is .887. Vladar has played in 4 games and his Sv% isn't any better at .881. With either of those two in net the Flames have to play an error free game just to win these days. Gone are the days when we were in the top 5 in the league in Goals For. Frankly it just seems like almost every game the Flames have the 2nd best goalie on the ice.

On the other hand Dustin Wolf, after getting off to a slow start has .948 Sv% in his last 6 games.. and has a .922 Sv% overall in 11 GP. Time to see what we have in Wolf. How much worse can it be if he shits the bed? If he does... send him back down to the Wranglers for more seasoning.

I say its time for Treliving to make a decision at the end of this current road trip.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He is elite. I truly believe that.

But I think you gotta let Markstrom get back into form so he’s tradeable in the off-season. Vladar needs more playing time too.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
No.
Markstrom has let in a softie a game, but he has also bailed out the defence time and time again.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Championship seasons have been built upon the back of goalie callups. Matt Murray in 2016, and Jordan Binnington in 2019 come to mind.

But Flames are gonna Flame so it's a moot point.

Reactions: flames23

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not until the Flames can start being more in control of their defensive end. Otherwise such a move would have a negative impact on the psyche of all three goalies.

• Haha
Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not until the Flames can start being more in control of their defensive end. Otherwise such a move would have a negative impact on the psyche of all three goalies.

I agree. Until we allow less than 20 shots a game all from the blue line it would be silly to contemplate this.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we climb comfortably into a top 2 divisional spot, I'm certain he'll get a 1-2 game stint with the team after the deadline

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
When one goalie’s numbers suffer but the others stay consistent, it’s a sign of a goalie problem. When both goalie’s number plummet, it’s the sign of a team problem. Markstroms been having some bad mental lapses this year, but we also have been playing pretty disjointed in our system so far resulting in a lot more dangerous chances being allowed. With how much voodoo goalies are, do you really want to risk ruining Wolf’s confidence by risking him also getting lit up with chances like our goalies have been so far?

Markstrom was a vezina candidate last year, and whether people thought it was deserved or not he was still a top goalie in the league. Considering how shaky he has looked at times this year, imagine what could happen to a young kid.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree. Until we allow less than 20 shots a game all from the blue line it would be silly to contemplate this.
Number of shots is completely beside the point. If you allow 3-4 chances each game where the goalie has very little chance, plus another 4-5 where you are asking for a very good save, then it doesn't matter how many other shots you allow.

People keep bringing up shot count as though all shots are the same. Is that your belief? Do you really think the Flames are getting to the dangerous areas as effectively as their opponents, and are just getting robbed? It doesn't look that way to me.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He needs to come in in dramatic fashion game 3 of round 1 of the playoffs after Markstrom and Vladar get hurt colliding in warmups.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Number of shots is completely beside the point. If you allow 3-4 chances each game where the goalie has very little chance, plus another 4-5 where you are asking for a very good save, then it doesn't matter how many other shots you allow.

People keep bringing up shot count as though all shots are the same. Is that your belief? Do you really think the Flames are getting to the dangerous areas as effectively as their opponents, and are just getting robbed? It doesn't look that way to me.
We're both going to see what we want to see. I could point out that Calgary has been one of the best teams in the league at preventing high-danger chances, have one of the lowest xGA in the league, and are virtually identical to last year's team in that regard, but then you are going to counter that those stats are flawed. My comment was thinly veiled sarcasm, we just fundamentally disagree and that is that.

Reactions: 23Monahan

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
We're both going to see what we want to see. I could point out that Calgary has been one of the best teams in the league at preventing high-danger chances, have one of the lowest xGA in the league, and are virtually identical to last year's team in that regard, but then you are going to counter that those stats are flawed. My comment was thinly veiled sarcasm, we just fundamentally disagree and that is that.
I think you just haven't watched the games If all you want to do is point to stats.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
No. Wolf shouldn't even be considered for the backup spot until next season at the earliest, and even then I expect him to start next season in the AHL as well.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He is elite. I truly believe that.

But I think you gotta let Markstrom get back into form so he’s tradeable in the off-season. Vladar needs more playing time too.
You can't trade Markstrom unless you know you have a #1 NHL goalie to replace him. That's not Vladar I think we can all agree upon that. And right now we have no idea if Wolf can handle NHL shooters. Wolf needs to get the chance to prove himself in the NHL before the Flames can even consider trading Markstrom. I say give him a chance to prove himself as Markstrom's backup this year. This team needs to stop being so chickenshit and give our youngsters a chance. Plus if he plays poorly the Flames can send him back to the Wranglers. Its not like once he's here we are stuck with him here. He doesn't have to go through waivers to be sent back down.
Honestly, I really believe the Flames have the real deal in Wolf and leaving him on the Wranglers is just a waste of talent and right now the Flames can really use a goalie who can steal a game for them because right now we don't have one on the current roster.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
When one goalie’s numbers suffer but the others stay consistent, it’s a sign of a goalie problem. When both goalie’s number plummet, it’s the sign of a team problem. Markstroms been having some bad mental lapses this year, but we also have been playing pretty disjointed in our system so far resulting in a lot more dangerous chances being allowed. With how much voodoo goalies are, do you really want to risk ruining Wolf’s confidence by risking him also getting lit up with chances like our goalies have been so far?

Markstrom was a vezina candidate last year, and whether people thought it was deserved or not he was still a top goalie in the league. Considering how shaky he has looked at times this year, imagine what could happen to a young kid.

Vladar has started just three games. That's not a big enough sample size to say his numbers are a relfection of the teams defensive play. He's had one great start against the best team in the league, a decent start against our biggest rival on the road, and a poor start at home. The fact he's only started three games this year with the way Markstrom has played is quite frankly a joke especially with the way he played in pre-season.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I have to agree Markstrom just doesn't seem to have it , No all shots aren't the same and no all chances aren't high danger but it does matter what sort of goal he gives up and when . How many times have opponents just come right down and scored immediately after we score ? how many goals has he given up in the last 90 seconds of what was a otherwise good period for the team ? and how many of these dagger goals have been wide open unscreened wristers ? Did anybody watch Allen against the Sabres last night ? that was exactly what I have been seeing from Markstrom , unscreened , in position puck goes in straight through him like he's not even there . Maybe his sore body needs a conditioning stint in the AHL , it often seems to work out that the fear of a young AHL replacement motivates everybody to be better instead of being complacent with the veteran guarding the fort .

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
You can't trade Markstrom unless you know you have a #1 NHL goalie to replace him. That's not Vladar I think we can all agree upon that. And right now we have no idea if Wolf can handle NHL shooters. Wolf needs to get the chance to prove himself in the NHL before the Flames can even consider trading Markstrom. I say give him a chance to prove himself as Markstrom's backup this year. This team needs to stop being so chickenshit and give our youngsters a chance. Plus if he plays poorly the Flames can send him back to the Wranglers. Its not like once he's here we are stuck with him here. He doesn't have to go through waivers to be sent back down.
Honestly, I really believe the Flames have the real deal in Wolf and leaving him on the Wranglers is just a waste of talent and right now the Flames can really use a goalie who can steal a game for them because right now we don't have one on the current roster.
We just re-signed Vladar to a 2 yr extension. Wolf isn't getting game action anytime soon without an injury occuring. Plain and simple fact.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
We just re-signed Vladar to a 2 yr extension. Wolf isn't getting game action anytime soon without an injury occuring. Plain and simple fact.
And at $2.2M he becomes much more difficult to trade. Lots of teams can afford his $750,000 salary. At $2.2M... not so many can for a backup. Also last I looked Vladar doesn't have a NMC or NTC so just because he signed a contract extension doesn't
mean squat.
Also, it wouldn't be the first time the Flames had three healthy goalies on the roster for a limited time. There comes a point where you have to find out exactly what you have at an NHL level with Wolf. Honestly, this season where Vladar is only making $750,000 is much better for that than next year where he's being paid $2.2M. I truly believe that Wolf, right now, is ready to take that next big step.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
And at $2.2M he becomes much more difficult to trade. Lots of teams can afford his $750,000 salary. At $2.2M... not so many can for a backup. Also last I looked Vladar doesn't have a NMC or NTC so just because he signed a contract extension doesn't
mean squat.
Also, it wouldn't be the first time the Flames had three healthy goalies on the roster for a limited time. There comes a point where you have to find out exactly what you have at an NHL level with Wolf. Honestly, this season where Vladar is only making $750,000 is much better for that than next year where he's being paid $2.2M. I truly believe that Wolf, right now, is ready to take that next big step.
I don't think you're wrong w where he could be. I'm a wolf'er myself. I'm just confident the organization wouldn't have signed Vladar to that extension if there was even a chance of Wolf being used this season outside emergency injury needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad