Is it time for Matt Irwin to be gone??

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Irwin and Hannan together is the equivalent of Semenov and Lebda together. Blech!

Yeah, I never liked Irwin the last couple of years since he's a ****ing pylon and I still don't like him very much.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
He can aid on the PP but our PP is doing quite well without. I think he should concentrate on his defensive responsibility so he can be a fixture on the bottom pairing of our D eventually and help on our 2nd PP unit................

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
If so I would hope the Sharks would get decent value for him. Their depth at D RIGHT NOW is piss poor. Fedun is not an upgrade. Doherty and Tennyson have failed at this point and Bergman needs at least 2 more years. So if anything I would prefer them doing it to acquire a better Dman. Can't just say TRADE HIM with no plan.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
The question everyone should be asking is how good are the lefty dmen in Woostah. Let 210 pop in and give his opinion of them with the NHL depth including the Woostah righties. I think you will all find that the Sharks don't have much on left the side. I have a feeling that Irwin stays until DW can acquired TWO better lefties (he has to replace Hannan as well).

I am not bent on the lefty/righty thing on d. I know the drawbacks of a dman playing opposite his own side and how difficult it is to do it well. I do think the coaches are a little more bent about lefty/righty.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I believe his gas tank that is a bigger issue than foot speed. His speed drops off too fast as the game progresses on, and he takes longer to recover. Unless his ice time is sharply limited, by the 3rd period, he is painfully slow on the transition compared to the other 9 guys on the ice.

Gas tank is his ability to deliver oxygen. I probably forgot to make that correlation in my Irwin gas tank posts in the past.

Guys like this need a different workout than those without.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No his poor foot speed and agility is exposed from the get go. Teams always dump in his corner, they will attack his side because its an almost guaranteed clean entry. He loses position and has terrible gap control. The only NHL caliber thing about Irwin's game is his shot.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Again, this is why I was happy SJ resigned Hannan for next to nothing. He isn't amazing but he rarely makes BIG mistakes. If its a turnover it is in a low risk situation (corners) and he loses his man about as often as Braun does.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
If so I would hope the Sharks would get decent value for him. Their depth at D RIGHT NOW is piss poor. Fedun is not an upgrade. Doherty and Tennyson have failed at this point and Bergman needs at least 2 more years. So if anything I would prefer them doing it to acquire a better Dman. Can't just say TRADE HIM with no plan.

Your take on Fedun has no basis. I'll give you Doherty/Tennyson. Irwin probably plays out the year then let go. Unless you could package him with Nemo and a pick, he has little trade value.

The question everyone should be asking is how good are the lefty dmen in Woostah. Let 210 pop in and give his opinion of them with the NHL depth including the Woostah righties. I think you will all find that the Sharks don't have much on left the side. I have a feeling that Irwin stays until DW can acquired TWO better lefties (he has to replace Hannan as well).

I am not bent on the lefty/righty thing on d. I know the drawbacks of a dman playing opposite his own side and how difficult it is to do it well. I do think the coaches are a little more bent about lefty/righty.

serviceable 6/7 for 1Mil.It is what it is. Just don't re-sign him :nod:

No his poor foot speed and agility is exposed from the get go. Teams always dump in his corner, they will attack his side because its an almost guaranteed clean entry. He loses position and has terrible gap control. The only NHL caliber thing about Irwin's game is his shot.

I really want Fediun to be given a shot. Irwin blows on many levels

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Again, this is why I was happy SJ resigned Hannan for next to nothing. He isn't amazing but he rarely makes BIG mistakes. If its a turnover it is in a low risk situation (corners) and he loses his man about as often as Braun does.

Hannan gets beat only slightly less than Irwin does but he loses his man and battles and races far more than Braun does.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Hannan gets dusted on the regular and can't move the puck. He turns it over in the neutral zone constantly. He will block shots and wins battles but he's extremely limited.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Your take on Fedun has no basis. I'll give you Doherty/Tennyson. Irwin probably plays out the year then let go. Unless you could package him with Nemo and a pick, he has little trade value.

My basis is the fact that Fedun has played 0 games for the Sharks. Please explain what your basis is? He will do better because...you have a hunch? That's what people said about Derek Joslin.

rgb63

Jan 29, 2009
My basis is the fact that Fedun has played 0 games for the Sharks. Please explain what your basis is? He will do better because...you have a hunch? That's what people said about Derek Joslin.

Not that I know anything about Fedun, but when you say that, I see somebody who doesn't has ever seen Fedun play or even know what number he wears.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

So because he has played 0 games for the Sharks makes him "not an upgrade"? How about he has more skills and is a far better skater than Irwin? Did you watch any of his camp play? how about his current performance ? If you think Irwin has more game then I cant help you. Just because the coaching staff has yet to call him up doesn't mean jacksquat.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
What exactly would be the downside in atleast trying Fedun at Irwins spot? He could do fine or worst case he is a trainwreck which is still on par with Irwin :)
Take a chance and trade/waive Irwin :)

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I knew Matt Irwin would never become an above average NHL player when our first mystery puck had his signature on it.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
What exactly would be the downside in atleast trying Fedun at Irwins spot? He could do fine or worst case he is a trainwreck which is still on par with Irwin :)
Take a chance and trade/waive Irwin :)

That's how I see it... of course we can wait on that last bit for a smidgen. My only worry is that fedun does 'fine' and DW decides not to add depth. Seriously, how well does fedun need to do for him to be seen as an improvement on irwin?

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Well the short answer is the sharks are too shallow on the left side to consider parting with Irwin

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
So because he has played 0 games for the Sharks makes him "not an upgrade"? How about he has more skills and is a far better skater than Irwin? Did you watch any of his camp play? how about his current performance ? If you think Irwin has more game then I cant help you. Just because the coaching staff has yet to call him up doesn't mean jacksquat.

If the coaching staff has more confidence in Irwin then Fedun/WorcesterDManX, then it means a whole lot more than jacksquat. Doesn't mater what you or I think, Koala and DW make the calls. That should be plainly obvious by now.

If I was GM, i'd waive Irwin. No chance he gets picked up. Just like Joslin. But I'm not.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

You are still making a pretty tall bet in this let Fedun play and drop Irwin hypothetical. Does this also mean the Sharks would drop down Mueller?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad