Is it time for Matt Irwin to be gone??

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
He has been given ample time now and yet he is still a train wreck on the ice. Sharks are 5-0 when MI rides the pine so far this season. Hannan/Demers is a billion times better. I would even advocate platooning SH with Fedun. Get the kid some time now so when the POs come he could be relied upon. Trading Irwin is slim, maybe we could just waive him??:naughty:
I hope DW stays away when his contract expires this summer.

I like many thought the addition of Larry Robinson would help Irwin turn the corner.. Hasn't happened..

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Poor Irwin, he's not the reason we lost games but he's not helping himself either. My thought is that Fedun can do better. Irwin may need a change of scenery. Mueller has shown that Irwin is expendable.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think I'd be comfortable with

Vlasic - Braun
Mueller - Burns
Fedun/Hannan - Demers

Hopefully trade Hannan++ for or somehow acquire someone like Gardiner (obviously Hannan wouldn't be part of a trade for Gardiner).

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I think I'd be comfortable with

Vlasic - Braun
Mueller - Burns
Fedun/Hannan - Demers

Hopefully trade Hannan++ for or somehow acquire someone like Gardiner (obviously Hannan wouldn't be part of a trade for Gardiner).

I don't think Hannan really has any trade value at this point. Unless the team we'd be trading to is very thin from injuries. But then why would they trade back a defenseman?

Either way, I like that lineup. If Demers hits his old form and Hannan plays even marginally better we SHOULD be okay. That being said, it is still a weak third pair.

I agree with the OP though, Irwin is the new Stuart in terms of mucking things up.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
The problem with Irwin is his feet speed, or lack thereof. Unfortunately year after year he had a chance to improve upon it, as he does have a really nice shot. The problem is he can rarely use it and he gets burned on the foot speed issue. He'll be a FA after this, so it's hard to get any value for him I'd think. If he just sat in the press box I think that'd do something, as he isn't doing us any favors. Guy has been a total disappointment as I had high hopes for him. I still love watching his shots when he can get them off - they are pretty powerful and straight. IMO best shot from the blue line (slap shot) - even ahead of Burns's as he mostly has powerful wristers.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It is kind of incredible how awfully he fits with the team game. He's pretty much an anchor. Just a step slow physically and mentally.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
time-is-nigh.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad