Is It Time For A Change At The Top For The Winnipeg Jets?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'm not necessarily advocating a coaching change, but something is off with this team. Chevy has drafted and developed very well, and as the stats show, one decent playoff run in 9 years.

I mean they've had 2 years when you could realistically expect the team to do something great. One year they go to the WCF and beat the Presidents trophy winners, the other they lose a hard fought series to the eventual cup champs (IIRC they were close to going up 3-2 in the series). Could do a lot worse.

I think if you're demanding better results from a young squad you're overrating the team. I feel like that's been the case a lot in recent years around here.

It's unfortunate they couldn't keep the same team and have that natural progression, but it is what it is.

Idk.. i just feel like a coaching change does not bring any miracle results right now.

ShooTer44

Oct 6, 2012
2018 Oct.03 starting D for the Jets.....
B.Chiarot
J.Trouba
D.Byfuglien
J.Morrissey
J.Morrow
2019 Oct.04 starting D for the Jets ....
A.Bitetto
T.Poolman
N.Pionk
V.Heinola (8 gms)(replaced by Dahlstrom)
D.Kulikov
J.Morrissey
plus the Jets had the second most man-games lost in the NHL this year.
Questioning the GM and Coach after a year like this ?

Nov 24, 2006
B.Chiarot
J.Trouba
D.Byfuglien
J.Morrissey
J.Morrow
A.Bitetto
T.Poolman
N.Pionk
D.Kulikov
J.Morrissey
I'm not questioning it after "a year like this", I'm questioning it after 9 years for the GM and 6 years for the coach.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Chevaldayoff is a pretty good GM. Jets are very good at drafting, which I think for a team like them, its the most important thing.

I think his biggest fault is that he kept Maurice for too long. The Jets had some pretty good rosters and I feel like Maurice didnt get much out of them. Its going to be tough for them to win now, but they have some good young players. I think a change from Maurice would be a positive thing for the organization. That being said I think Maurice did a pretty ok job this year, dealing with everything that went on. So /shrug.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
B.Chiarot
J.Trouba
D.Byfuglien
J.Morrissey
J.Morrow
A.Bitetto
T.Poolman
N.Pionk
D.Kulikov
J.Morrissey
This. I'm surprised they didn't completely bottom out.

ShooTer44

Oct 6, 2012
I'm not questioning it after "a year like this", I'm questioning it after 9 years for the GM and 6 years for the coach.
Well then, let's go back 9 years ago and look at what they had as a team then and now let's look at the team now and see what the changes have been!! Plus more changes will be made (look at the starting lineup to this coming years (2020/21) "D"). The Jets are a draft and develop team. I think that the GM has greatly improved this team and is continuing to do so.
Coach... would a different coach done better this year, I highly doubt it. He can only coach who he has.
Winnipeg Jets 2011-12 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Nov 24, 2006
Well then, let's go back 9 years ago and look at what they had as a team then and now let's look at the team now and see what the changes have been!! Plus more changes will be made (look at the starting lineup to this coming years (2020/21) "D"). The Jets are a draft and develop team. I think that the GM has greatly improved this team and is continuing to do so.
Coach... would a different coach done better this year, I highly doubt it. He can only coach who he has.
Winnipeg Jets 2011-12 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com
Did you actually read the OP?

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Chevy has done a great job but Maurice is past his expiration date, at least with this group of players. I don't even blame him for this season as much as 2018-19 where there was no reason for the roster to perform that poorly.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
One of the toughest jobs in the NHL in that it’s hard to get players to come to Winnipeg. They seem to want to follow the Nashville model, so I expect Chevy will be here as long as he wants to be. I’d probably be fine with a coaching change but they are incredibly loyal to people who are willing to come and stay. Really need to rebuild the defence though.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Time for Maurice to go, but he'll get another year at least, Covid and Buff really gave em some quality excuses. Chevy gets this offseason where we have a bit of cap-space (and the flat cap to take advantage of) to make some moves to improve this team outside of rentals. If he doesn't have an impressive offseason either can them both after 20/21.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Cheveldayoff should be head of scouting, I don't think he's cut out for GM and he's certainly too close to his roster at this point to make the tough calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad