Is it safe to say that last summer's (2012) deals...

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Brunner and Tootoo signings were good still. When Tootoo was on the ice he was a factor. Unfortunately for him he wasn't good enough defensively to play more than 7 minutes a night. Brunner scored at a higher pace than I think Tatar or Nyquist would of if given the same role. Sammy and Colaiacovo signings were stupid.

RedWingsNow*

Last season's signings were brutal. The one guy who produced anything is gone /:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Colaiacovo did a solid job in the playoffs. He wasn't flashy, but he was good enough. Without him, Lashoff would have been the #6. This would have been very bad.

I agree that the Samuelsson signing was bad, but that was one of four. Tootoo served his role in the regular season; Colaiacovo contributed as noted above; and Brunner did well.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
What happens if Samuelsson comes to camp with a vengeance, trying to prove himself in what I think may be a contract year for him, and honestly potentially his final year in the NHL if he can't stay healthy / doesn't produce. If Sammy works hard enough to be productive, and he actually produces points, will his contract look a bit better? I doubt this actually happens, but ****, he could be a much better addition to the powerplay than Brunner or Cleary were last season. I'm not saying he's that good of a player, or even worth anywhere near the money he was paid last season, but I feel like if he's healthy he could potentially at least earn some of that money back and be helpful to Detroit.

The problem is wondering where does he fit in? He would probably be best suited for a third line role, and will that make him unhappy, having to settle for the bottom six again in Detroit? He made comments years ago stating that he felt like he deserved a bigger role than Detroit gave to him, so who knows...

I think that while he's old, injury prone, and overall not worth the contract he's getting- he could actually be at least a little bit helpful in making Detroit better in some ways in 2013 if he can stay on the ice. People may disagree, but that's how I feel. He was a very solid part of the team in both '08 and '09, and he played well in Vancouver... he's been pretty unlucky with injuries the past few years. Hopefully that's behind him.

Cola was a pointless signing. Tootoo was never worth the money, and never will be worth that kind of money, even if he played for another organization that would make use of what he brings to the table. But Tootoo brought energy to the lineup and liked to play physical, which made Detroit a bit less "soft". He knows how to stick up for his teammates, and there IS a place on just about any team for a guy like him. His contract sucks, but he's not a terrible player to have on your team, even as just a rotating in and out guy like Eaves/Miller have been for the past few years. Brunner was a fantastic signing last season, and he really played well on that third line in the playoffs. His signing was the best of the entire offseason and he really probably would bring similar value to Detroit this year that Alfie will bring.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
They were essentially hit or miss.

-The Gustavsson signing so far hasn't been a good one yet mainly because he was injured alot last season, he did have a few games where he played good though. This is definately his chance to prove himself this season if he can stay healthy.

-The Tootoo signing was a good one, he definately impacted the game in a good way during the regular season and is a very good 4th liner. The length of the deal is a giant headscratcher though considering the crazy mess that is our foward core now.

-The Brunner signing could have been hit or miss, but it worked out well for us. Especially during the beginning of the season when we weren't scoring goals.

-The Samuelsson signing.... :laugh: It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it was just a one year deal and they didn't give him an unneccesary NTC. It's definately bad now though considering what he contributed (nothing) and the nature of the deal.

-The Colaiacovo signing actually wasn't all that bad considering. When he played he was very serviceable especially as a 5th/6th defensman, played very well with Kindl too. I wouldn't have minded if we kept him this season as well for depth, especially considering Lashoff is our extra guy.

So essentially, IMO, the Brunner, Tootoo and to a lesser extent the Colaiacovo signings were good, Monster is 50/50 and Sammy was just bad.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
How was monster's signing any good? Howard played all but 4 games in the season? Monster looked very shaky when he was in granted that could have been due to not playing much. Granted cola got hurt early in the year but I think he did well in the playoffs. Wish we could have keep him around as a 6 or 7 but lets be honest no one wants lashoff.

Brunner did well. Played 90+ games last year. Hit the wall but recovered and got it done in the playoffs. Tootoo was good just wish he would get 10+ minutes a game. Might not be a bad idea to put him with 2 of the griffins this year to keep the fly's away from the kids if one of them warrants top 6 time. He is the one player outta the bottom 6 I hope we don't cut. He ain't a heavyweight but he will take them on if need be. That and I don't want to see the slaughter that would be abby against a east coast heavy. We would be lucky to see abby throw 3 punches before he got knocked the **** out.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
-The Samuelsson signing.... :laugh: It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it was just a one year deal and they didn't give him an unneccesary NTC. It's definately bad now though considering what he contributed (nothing) and the nature of the deal.

Why? You expected Holland to trade him?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Tootoo would have been a good signing if the term hadn't been so long, and he brought any other skills to the team other than running around annoying people.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Meh. Brunner and Tootoo were fine. As was CC when he wasn't hurt. Gus was hurt and has another year to prove he wasn't a bad signing.

Sammy shoulda never been signed to begin with.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Kenny went with quantity over quality...wanted to add depth but didn't add a truly impactful player. Brunner was the best free agent and now he's gone. At least this summer, he's made some impactful moves...Weiss is an upgrade over Flip and I'm fine with Alfredsson as a one year option. The depth in the organization needs to be utilized eventually...either trade some of these guys or play them.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Colaiacovo wasn't a bad signing, but there were plenty of better options for defensemen and Kenny sat on his hands. He went all in for Suter/Parise and had no backup plan.

Tootoo is still useful. This team is still incredibly soft. Even if he doesn't play in the playoffs, the regular season is still 82 games.

Gustavsson... I expect Howard to be the workhorse he normally is, and I don't see Gus doing anything to change that.

Samuelsson was a terrible signing ever since it said "Confirmed by link"

Brunner was a no risk signing, and it paid off.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Busts. But I don't think they have screwed us over -- we have a better team this season.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
?Were a COMPLETE bust? Did we do anything to become better last year? I feel we are paying for it now. Thoughts?

It was a happy accident that guys like Andersson, Lashoff, Tatar and Nyquist got to play a lot last season. That was the one bright spot from last year and we nearly knocked off the eventual Stanley Cup champs. So when I push for prospects to get playing time a) I started that crusade at the start of last season and b) feel justified in continuing to make that call. Both Chicago and Boston played younger players and both teams had great playoff runs and are poised to be good for the foreseeable future. Over-ripeness may make some sense when your NHL roster is loaded with quality NHL talent. That is clearly not the case in Detroit. Relying on older players where PT stands for physical therapy and not playing time doesn't do anything for a team that has always claimed that winning championships is the goal.

Here's hoping that Holland has his hand forced by mediocre results over the past few seasons as a GM (I do like Weiss as a good long-term addition) and as a result is forced to start playing prospects so we can find out which guys are Mules, Ericssons and Kronwalls and which guys are McGraths, Meechs and McCollums.

No offense intended to any of those last three guys, I just want to see our top prospects get coached by the best coach in the world against the best competition in the world and see how they perform. Not every prospect is going to maximize his development by playing in the ECHL and the AHL. You can make the case that Tomas Tatar having success in the NHL propelled him to an MVP performance in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Over-ripeness isn't a luxury we can afford any longer, IMO. We've got a very good prospect pool, it's time to see if the guys at the top of the food chain can become quality NHL players.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I never had a problem with the moves we made last summer, as all of them fit areas of need the Wings openly talked about heading into last summer (right handed shots, size, toughness, etc). My problem has been the moves they didn't make. They wanted to bring in depth, they should have moved some depth out (Eaves, Miller, Emmerton, etc.) so that guys who had earned a shot (Nyquist, tatar) would have had roster spots.

Instead, it was just sign and hoard.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wouldn't have been so bad if Suter didn't screw with our expectations.

:(

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Someone on here said that Gus signing may not be that bad, but rather just unlucky... what's the difference between the Gus signing and the Samuelsson signing, then? The cap hit? Both are two year deals signing players that were injured for the majority of last season. I think the key difference between the deals is that Samuelsson proved for the majority of the post-lockout NHL that he is an NHL caliber forward with an ability to rack up 40+ points in a healthy season and contribute to a winning hockey club whereas Gus has really only proven that he is a big body in the net who has never really been able to maintain a starting gig even on a mediocre team. He's never proven a whole lot at the NHL level. Sure, he could still improve, and ****, he's in the perfect years of his career to start improving... his contract could look a lot better than Samuelsson's at the end of 2014, but at the same time, Samuelsson could resurrect his career in 2013/14 and get 30-45 points like he was expected to do. The problem with Samuelsson that Gustavsson doesn't really have right now is that he just doesn't have a real role... Gus at least has the backup goaltender spot down. Is Samuelsson going to skate on the third line? The fourth line? If he's not on a scoring line, is he even going to be useful to the Red Wings in 2014? Is he going to be basically a 4th liner who plays the PP like Holmstrom was?

I keep talking about the case of Samuelsson, and I seem like a guy defending him, but I just am trying to say that he has the potential to be a decent player in Detroit if he is given the correct role. A lot of people want to dismiss him because he's old and not worth the money, but he may be a solid piece if used correctly. The negative is that if he's used where he probably can excel best, he's going to probably keep the young guys off the ice a bit longer.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
It would be very safe and accurate to say that Ken Holland completely screwed up last offseason. He was completely incompetent and made so many poor choices.

crashman

Yes, they were a complete bust. Every single one, including Gustavsson. The team would have been better off had none of them happened. But hindsight is 20/20 and no one expected Sammy, Cola and Monster to miss as many games as they did.

Yeah because he signed for real close to 4.9 million. :laugh:

The Wings were far from the cap ceiling last year. Holland could have paid Semin 7.5m and still been fine if he never signed Sammy & Tootoo. But it's silly to talk about now I suppose.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Why? You expected Holland to trade him?

Worded that badly, I meant if he didn't give him the NTC with the two year deal. We might have been able to trade him (though I highly doubt it) Now we are stuck with him with no way to move him this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad