Is it possible to cancel Olympic Games?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The virus outbreak in China could spread to all close countries. What if they dont have it under control to summer games? What will they Olympic government do?
Unless the virus becomes completely out of control, nothing short of a war breaking out either globally or involving Japan will stop the games. I did read that they are postponing some of the qualifying events to see what kind of preventive measures Japan will institute.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Going ahead with the Olympics is a joke. Most countries are cancelling their Olympic trials so how in the heck can they get ready to for the games? This is all about money for a greedy corrupt IOC.

Oct 18, 2006
Going ahead with the Olympics is a joke. Most countries are cancelling their Olympic trials so how in the heck can they get ready to for the games? This is all about money for a greedy corrupt IOC.
The Olympics is my favourite thing. I hope it goes ahead, but yeah it’s looking unlikely. Postpone. They’ve invested millions into it, built all these stadiums, do it later this year or 2021. Don’t cancel it altogether.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Hey, Abe said he's going ahead with it, so he's pretty much a joke. No sarcasm there.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Olympics is my favourite thing. I hope it goes ahead, but yeah it’s looking unlikely. Postpone. They’ve invested millions into it, built all these stadiums, do it later this year or 2021. Don’t cancel it altogether.
Well put it off for 6 months then.

member 305909

I'm sure a lot of people this summer must have thought that something was missing as there wasn't the Euro soccer-tournament but did anybody actually miss the Olympics which would have ended a week ago had it happened?

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
I'm sure a lot of people this summer must have thought that something was missing as there wasn't the Euro soccer-tournament but did anybody actually miss the Olympics which would have ended a week ago had it happened?

I am totally missing it. Covid-19 is still wreaking havoc, with almost every event reshuffled. The mere fact that e.g. hockey and Champions League are being played shifts everybody's attention.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

I did. I planned my vacation for the olympic time period. That is somehow a tradition already in our family.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes and no. I definitely am disappointed about the lack of Olympics but this just feels like an off year now, with the added benefit of other sports being back and so there was something to fill the gap. NHL/NBA/MLB/UCL/MLS/etc. all being back has made the last ~6 weeks seem a lot more exciting compared to the months prior.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m still not sold they happen in 2021 either. The pandemic will likely be over and the vaccine will be out but I’m not sure that many countries won’t claim there wasn’t enough time for athletes to train and that it’ll get pushed to 2022

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I’m still not sold they happen in 2021 either. The pandemic will likely be over and the vaccine will be out but I’m not sure that many countries won’t claim there wasn’t enough time for athletes to train and that it’ll get pushed to 2022
it'll be 2021..... they will not postpone it again....IOC won't allow it, and the winter games are now 2025 or 26, and those get delayed

Reactions: Soul Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad