Is it possible for Malkin to surpass Crosby's legacy

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Add in playoffs and Crosby has more points than OV. That plus a clearly superior PPG puts him clearly ahead; ahead as any other all-time great not named Wayne or Mario over a decade worth of hockey.

Crosby's dominance is about as clear as mud. I don't think OV is currently a better player. But he sure as hell is leaving a greater "legacy".

Visually Crosby is the best player of this era, but he isn't dominating statistically, and he's too injured.

Points during an era matter more than actual PPG.

Which is why actual wins matter more than win%.

Crosby is cementing a legacy similar to Forsberg. Arguably the best player when he's healthy, but even when healthy isn't necessarily a lock to win the scoring title.

Last edited:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Malkin could pass Crosby. He is so hot and cold though and Crosby had been pretty consistent. If this is what new Crosby is and Malkin stays the same, he definitely could pass him.

I think Crosby will go back to normal and stay the better player though

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Topic has switched to OV. OV has better hardware by quite a bit. His legacy is better at the moment but he has slowed down, I think he could eventually be passed by Crosby and Malkin if the stars align correctly

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby's dominance is about as clear as mud. I don't think OV is currently a better player. But he sure as hell is leaving a greater "legacy".

Visually Crosby is the best player of this era, but he isn't dominating statistically, and he's too injured.

Points during an era matter more than actual PPG.

Which is why actual wins matter more than win%.

Crosby is cementing a legacy similar to Forsberg. Arguably the best player when he's healthy, but even when healthy isn't necessarily a lock to win the scoring title.

The only mud is over your eyes if you think its been close between Crosby and OV for the past four or five years, let alone OV being better.

Crosby's legacy at age 27 matches up pretty well against other Top Ten all-time players other than the Big Four. The only thing holding him back was injures. He likely would be ahead of everyone else except the Big Four if not for injuries.

Arguably the best player? The only player close right now is Malkin who if you need reminding is clearly behind in points and/or PPG over any significant period of time.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Topic has switched to OV. OV has better hardware by quite a bit. His legacy is better at the moment but he has slowed down, I think he could eventually be passed by Crosby and Malkin if the stars align correctly

Start a new thread or search for the poll that indicated people think Crosby has the better career/legacy so far.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Start a new thread or search for the poll that indicated people think Crosby has the better career/legacy so far.

Basically it goes like this:

Bigger Trophy Case: Ovechkin
Better player through their careers: Crosby
Going down as the better player: Crosby

As much as I would like Ovechkin to do well, there is no denying on which one of these two (three) will go down as the best player from their generation.

For first 5 years, Ovechkin was doing better, all things considered. But Crosby was breathing down on his neck. The difference, albeit was undeniable for most years, it was marginal. The next 5 years, Crosby even with injuries is looking much, much better.

It's a true testament for Crosby too. He can be injured in three different seasons and be measured against a guy who wins two rockets and one Hart in 5 years and still be considered unanimously better.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
No, he doesn't.

When talking about major hardware (the Richard is a secondary trophy that only rewards one aspect of the game), OV has 3 Harts, 3 Pearson/Lindsays, and 1 Art Ross. Crosby has 2 Harts, 3 Lindsays, and 2 Art Ross trophies. They both have a total of 7 major awards.

On top of all that, Crosby has 2 Gold Medals and a Stanley Cup and was instrumental in winning all of them. When you also factor in that the reason Crosby hasn't won more hardware is a result of injuries and not a steady drop-off in play/ability (like OV), it's easy to see who's going to leave the greater legacy.

And, personally, I don't see OV winning another major trophy ever again. His last Hart was controversial and the only time he ever won an Art Ross was when Crosby was injured. I just don't think he's got another Hart or Lindsay in him, sad to say.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
The only mud is over your eyes if you think its been close between Crosby and OV for the past four or five years, let alone OV being better.

Crosby's legacy at age 27 matches up pretty well against other Top Ten all-time players other than the Big Four. The only thing holding him back was injures. He likely would be ahead of everyone else except the Big Four if not for injuries.

Arguably the best player? The only player close right now is Malkin who if you need reminding is clearly behind in points and/or PPG over any significant period of time.

From the start of the 2011/12 season to present:

Malkin 255 points (1.28 PPG), 38 PO points (1.12)
Crosby 234 points (1.38 PPG), 32 PO points (0.97)
Totals: Malkin 293 points (1.25), Crosby 266 points (1.32)

That's 3 full seasons' worth of games ('12, 48 GP in '13, '14, 34 GP in '15), which seems fairly significant. Malkin has more points, more playoff points, and a higher PPG in playoffs (more easily comparable in POs, since they are teammates). Crosby has a higher PPG during the regular season.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No, he doesn't.

When talking about major hardware (the Richard is a secondary trophy that only rewards one aspect of the game), OV has 3 Harts, 3 Pearson/Lindsays, and 1 Art Ross. Crosby has 2 Harts, 3 Lindsays, and 2 Art Ross trophies. They both have a total of 7 major awards.

On top of all that, Crosby has 2 Gold Medals and a Stanley Cup and was instrumental in winning all of them. When you also factor in that the reason Crosby hasn't won more hardware is a result of injuries and not a steady drop-off in play/ability (like OV), it's easy to see who's going to leave the greater legacy.

And, personally, I don't see OV winning another major trophy ever again. His last Hart was controversial and the only time he ever won an Art Ross was when Crosby was injured. I just don't think he's got another Hart or Lindsay in him, sad to say.

Yeah, the HARDEST part.

And do you really think if Crosby wasn't on the Olympic teams in 2010 and '14 the Canadians don't still win (or get to the Gold medal games)? Seriously? Anyone but Crosby scores that goal in 2010 and Crosby doesn't even have an Olympic 'legacy'. He was a complete non-factor.

Malkin is a game changer, I would take him every time over Crosby if I have to win a game.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Yeah, the HARDEST part.

And do you really think if Crosby wasn't on the Olympic teams in 2010 and '14 the Canadians don't still win (or get to the Gold medal games)? Seriously? Anyone but Crosby scores that goal in 2010 and Crosby doesn't even have an Olympic 'legacy'. He was a complete non-factor.

Malkin is a game changer, I would take him every time over Crosby if I have to win a game.

I am guessing you did not watch the Olympics in 2010 or 2014.

Calling him a "non-factor" is revisionist history. History perpetrated by people with an agenda.
He played solid both tournaments, did what he had to, and faced checking lines.

Sure a lot of players "could have" scored in OT or on a breakaway in 2014 to seal the gold medals. Thing is, they didn't.

Larry Murphy could have gotten the pass from Gretz instead of Mario in 1987. Maybe Henderson doesn't score that goal in '72, someone else does.

Fact is, what happens happens. No what ifs matter.

Crosby's legacy is intact with people that matter and true hockey fans in Canada, which is all that really matters to me anyway, quite frankly.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
From the start of the 2011/12 season to present:

Malkin 255 points (1.28 PPG), 38 PO points (1.12)
Crosby 234 points (1.38 PPG), 32 PO points (0.97)
Totals: Malkin 293 points (1.25), Crosby 266 points (1.32)

That's 3 full seasons' worth of games ('12, 48 GP in '13, '14, 34 GP in '15), which seems fairly significant. Malkin has more points, more playoff points, and a higher PPG in playoffs (more easily comparable in POs, since they are teammates). Crosby has a higher PPG during the regular season.

Nothing screams legacy like a cherry-picked period of time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Nothing screams legacy like a cherry-picked period of time.

The worst cherry-picking of all? The fact that these comments happen because Crosby has had an off three weeks or so.

He could literally be leading league scoring again by this time next week and we are arguing because people are talking about his "diminished skills" after a less than stellar three week span.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Lol apparently leading the league in goals only earns a minor trophy.You gguys are desperate, it's sad. OV has the better trophy case and in 20 years when people are discussing the players, the trophy case will be the primary indicator. I agree Crosby is the best player now but OV was better for a while and has a better legacy in the case.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It will be hard but it could happen.

- Pittsburgh wins the cup again and Malkin is overwhelmingly better than Crosby and wins the Conn Smythe.

- The stars align and Malkin wins 2-to-4 Art Rosses while Crosby wins 1 or less.This would also probably means Makin wins some Harts in those seasons.

I think that's the only two scenarios where Malkin could pass Crosby.But there will always be some people to mention the "what-ifs" with Crosby given his per-game statistical dominance.

This will all happen in the next 5 years so let's watch.If Crosby and Malkin haven't won another Art Ross in the next 5 years, their legacy won't be as good as it could have been as they both had talents to win more than that.

Crosby will be 32/33 and Malkin 33/34, the decline will start.It's not impossible to win a Art Ross after 33 years old but you need to get lucky, and if there's a mega-superstar sitting at 25 years old you can forget it unless he's injured.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I am guessing you did not watch the Olympics in 2010 or 2014.

Calling him a "non-factor" is revisionist history. History perpetrated by people with an agenda.
He played solid both tournaments, did what he had to, and faced checking lines.

Sure a lot of players "could have" scored in OT or on a breakaway in 2014 to seal the gold medals. Thing is, they didn't.

Larry Murphy could have gotten the pass from Gretz instead of Mario in 1987. Maybe Henderson doesn't score that goal in '72, someone else does.

Fact is, what happens happens. No what ifs matter.

Crosby's legacy is intact with people that matter and true hockey fans in Canada, which is all that really matters to me anyway, quite frankly.

The Canadians were a juggernaut and with or without Crosby they probably win in 2010 and obviously win in 2014. Watched the games and wasn't impressed by Crosby at all, he played like a third line grinder on that team and generated very little. To each his own I guess.

He is a great player, first ballot HOF for sure but I contend that Malkin is the player the Pens absolutely can't afford to lose.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The Canadians were a juggernaut and with or without Crosby they probably win in 2010 and obviously win in 2014. Watched the games and wasn't impressed by Crosby at all, he played like a third line grinder on that team and generated very little. To each his own I guess.

This must be the new anti-Crosby narrative.

He owns the signature goals from the past two Olympic and one of the biggest in hockey history; his legacy is cemented.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Yeah, the HARDEST part.

GWG career:

Ovechkin: 73
Crosby: 35
Malkin: 42

OT GWG:

Ovechkin: 12
Crosby: 6
Malkin: 7

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
This must be the new anti-Crosby narrative.

He owns the signature goals from the past two Olympic and one of the biggest in hockey history; his legacy is cemented.

His PPG legacy is likely cemented.

nwaZ*

This thread has made it clear that Crosby maybe isn't the undisputed best player in the world after all. He has nothing to show for it, and he's still pretty much a joke in the playoffs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Crosby is maybe the best points-producer currently, but we all intelligent people know, that there's so much more in hockey than just points producing, to be the best player.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
This thread has made it clear that Crosby maybe isn't the undisputed best player in the world after all. He has nothing to show for it, and he's still pretty much a joke in the playoffs.

Speaking of jokes...congrats! It take special skills to this clueless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad