Is it out of the question for Norris to outscore Debrincat?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Now that we have a multple 40 goal scorer on our roster, are we as a fanbase underestimating the scoring impact of Norris for the upcoming season?

Norris scored at a 0.53 GPG last season whereas Debrincat scored basically at the same rate of 0.50 GPG this season.
The previous year he scored at a 0.61 rate being in which he would have been the same age of Norris was last year.

Assuming Norris is still paired with Batherson and Cat now with Stu (as exiciting as his career will be, he's still a tier below Kane)

Is it really out of the question that Norris outscores Debrincat this year? (Not trying to take anything away from Debrincat here)

**This is like my 3rd thread since 2003, flame away**

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Now that we have a multple 40 goal scorer on our roster, are we as a fanbase underestimating the scoring impact of Norris for the upcoming season?

Norris scored at a 0.53 GPG last season whereas Debrincat scored basically at the same rate of 0.50 GPG this season.
The previous year he scored at a 0.61 rate being in which he would have been the same age of Norris was last year.

Assuming Norris is still paired with Batherson and Cat now with Stu (as exiciting as his career will be, he's still a tier below Kane)

Is it really out of the question that Norris outscores Debrincat this year? (Not trying to take anything away from Debrincat here)

**This is like my 3rd thread since 2003, flame away**
No, it isn't, though it will depend on which line draws the tougher match-up. Opposing teams cannot afford to let Brady have free reign infront of their net, so it may be that Brady-Norris-Bath draw more defensive minded opponents. That could leave Stu's line more room to wheel.

On the road - Debrincat out scores Norris.

At home - Norris out scores Debrincat.

That's my guess.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not at all. I think Norris is generally underrated here so many may not think it's possible but Norris is as natural a scorer as Le Chat.

PP deployment probably ends up being the X factor here but I don't see any reason they both don't score 40.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I always like throwing this fact out:

In terms of G/GP, Norris and DeBrincat are two of the top three players out of all the players drafted since Matthews (the third guy is Robertson).

I think it's very posssible that Norris scores more. And they both have support in Bath, Giroux and Stu. Both could be deadly this year.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Power Play time is definitely going to go a long way in deciding this one.

It is a good question because as we all know, the big Cat played with Kaner in Chi.

If things go to plan and he is on a line with Stutz & Giro, that should not be much of a drop off for him in terms of talent level on his line.

Hopefully both will score 40+ this year and maybe one or both flirt with 50.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Power Play time is definitely going to go a long way in deciding this one.

It is a good question because as we all know, the big Cat played with Kaner in Chi.

If things go to plan and he is on a line with Stutz & Giro, that should not be much of a drop off for him in terms of talent level on his line.

Hopefully both will score 40+ this year and maybe one or both flirt with 50.

i agree with the bolded and it depends on if one of them gets bumped to the second unit (most likely norris)

right now the only 3 locks for unit 1 imo are brady, debrincat and chabot. We have two spots open for Stutzle/Batherson/Norris/Giroux. Depending on how that shakes out it could heavily impact norris' goal scoring. Additionally Norris was the primary shooting option last year for Ottawa (16 ppg) and now with Debrincat and a better second unit you have to figure that number goes down a bit at least

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I think Cat played stutzle's spot on the PP most of the year for chicago so it's possible they will be on the same unit.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's absolutely possible and may be dictated by injury more than anything else.

It's an awesome problem to have.

Every shift of every game, one of those top lines is going up against less than top D. We're going to score a lot of goals this year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I can't even remember the last time we had two 40g guys, I reckon Alfie and Heatley back in the day.

So nice to have legit top 6 forwards

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
40 goals just isn't the milestone it once was. Even coming out of the 2005 lockout, you'd top out at less than a dozen league wide, you have to go back to the mid 90s to hit the same number of 40 g scores as we had last year.

The league has changed, 40 is the new 30... (A bit hyperbolic but still)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
40 goals just isn't the milestone it once was. Even coming out of the 2005 lockout, you'd top out at less than a dozen league wide, you have to go back to the mid 90s to hit the same number of 40 g scores as we had last year.

The league has changed, 40 is the new 30... (A bit hyperbolic but still)
Will be interesting to see if that trend continues this season.

Going back to the last full season there were 13 who scored 40 or more and it went down from there as you go back. Pandemic hockey seemed a lot more free flowing.

I think the top goal scorers will still stand out and I think both Norris and DeBrincat will still light it up relative to their peers but perhaps 40 will be a little tougher this year as teams transition back to, "normal" operation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Will be interesting to see if that trend continues this season.

Going back to the last full season there were 13 who scored 40 or more and it went down from there as you go back. Pandemic hockey seemed a lot more free flowing.

I think the top goal scorers will still stand out and I think both Norris and DeBrincat will still light it up relative to their peers but perhaps 40 will be a little tougher this year as teams transition back to, "normal" operation.

There's been some changes to the standard of officiating, the no more crosschecking guys in the ribs to clear the crease standard seems to have made life hard for goalies, or maybe it's just a lack of truly elite goalies these days, idk, but scoring is way up

When Karlsson won his first Norris, only 5 Dmen broke 50 pts, Karlsson at 78 was the only one over 53 pts, a decade later and 20 Dmen broke the 50 pts barrier with 5 over 70 pts. The systems coaches get their guys playing has changed, and rosters have tilted more towards those systems (or maybe it's the other way around) and idk if/when the pendulum will swing back the other way but until it does I expect we'll see lots of goals.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not at all.

Norris was pacing 45 goals.

Around 45 goals last 90 something games or sumthin.

We got 2 perennial 40 goal capable guys. I actually expect Norris to hit it, but for DeBrincat to hit it only if he meshes with Stutzle from the get-go.

DAMN, WHEN LAST TIME WE HAD 2 40 GOAL GUYS, TAHAHA.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They're pretty much head to head since March 15th 2021

0.53 G/GP for DeBrincat vs 0.52 G/GP for Norris

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not at all.

Norris was pacing 45 goals.

Around 45 goals last 90 something games or sumthin.

We got 2 perennial 40 goal capable guys. I actually expect Norris to hit it, but for DeBrincat to hit it only if he meshes with Stutzle from the get-go.

DAMN, WHEN LAST TIME WE HAD 2 40 GOAL GUYS, TAHAHA.
Idk why there is such a concern about meshing with DeBrincat and Stuetzle, or Giroux for that matter. They're all high IQ players. None are cycle below the goal line types.

They're already skating. A full camp. Exhibition season. They'll be fine.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Norris only has a chance of outscoring DeBrincat if he gets to be the shooter on the #1 PP while DeBrincat gets bumped to the #2 PP.

Can't see that happening.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
All depends on who is the trigger man on PP1. Kinda awesome that we could have both out there at once giving goalies fits from either side of the rink with Brady's crease parked ass making it even more difficult.

I can't wait to see this year's PP. Can have an absolutely stacked top unit with a very good PP2 to follow up, or 2 excellent balanced units. Very possible that Norris and Debrincat are on different units if the latter is the case though.

Guess I would go for the guy that's hit 40 twice in DeBrincat if I have to choose who gets more goals. Can totally see Norris outscoring him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad