Speculation: Is it me?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Or is there something "giddy" in the tone of sportsnet/tsn/cbc when they talk about the Oilers not being dominant.

Like today some guy talking about last year being peak McDavid and there is no Olympics and he sounded jovial making the argument that McDavid would never see best on best.

and before that thers always some disgusting smirk and nudge about the losing streak or their playstyle.

Blame is technically on Holland but I think there is still collusion by the agents/players to grow the game south for money. And by the league. And officials. ....nd media.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I personally haven’t noticed it recently but there has always been a certain amount of animosity towards the Oilers, and satisfaction with our misfortunes in some “905” areas in particular. Sour grapes that the greatest player in a generation gets to show is magic here instead of in Tarannah.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Or is there something "giddy" in the tone of sportsnet/tsn/cbc when they talk about the Oilers not being dominant.

Like today some guy talking about last year being peak McDavid and there is no Olympics and he sounded jovial making the argument that McDavid would never see best on best.

and before that thers always some disgusting smirk and nudge about the losing streak or their playstyle.

Blame is technically on Holland but I think there is still collusion by the agents/players to grow the game south for money. And by the league. And officials. ....nd media.

Nope, you're definitely not the only one.

Toronto media hated the Oilers before anyone knew who McDavid was. Hang over resentment from the 80's.

We see it now show its face in award voting. In the lead up to an obvious, no brainer Oiler winner they always seek some loophole that would actually make the obvious Oiler player not so obvious. No other team's players have this happen. The only time it didn't was McDavid's first Hart, but that was when everyone still really liked him in the national media and he wasn't perceived to be a Matthews rival.

Having said that, they did take the Calder away from him because the number of games played became an arbitrary reason to vote for Panarin.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Of course--in their world with TO rocking and Oilers sucking--that is perfect

Last year a former sportsnet guy even said that whenever they mentioned the Oilers --they had to mention the leafs as well

Reactions: oilers'72

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Do not care for their viewpoints, they are not oiler fans. Everyone is a critic and those panelists are just critics with a platform.
Who cares.
McDavid and this team is going to do it's best to deliver the goods.
I cannot not fault the squad for doing their best with what they have, every team will have ups and downs and areas to scrutinize.
We just get a little more attention because of some the players we have.
Let them talk, you have a choice to pay attention to them or not.
I pay no mind, and cheer and support the oilers the best I can, win or lose, despite what all naysayers say.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Do not care for their viewpoints, they are not oiler fans. Everyone is a critic and those panelists are just critics with a platform.
Who cares.
McDavid and this team is going to do it's best to deliver the goods.
I cannot not fault the squad for doing their best with what they have, every team will have ups and downs and areas to scrutinize.
We just get a little more attention because of some the players we have.
Let them talk, you have a choice to pay attention to them or not.
I pay no mind, and cheer and support the oilers the best I can, win or lose, despite what all naysayers say.
Their hate is a balm for oiler fans. I can’t wait for the current team to throw off their doldrums and make it last another 20 years.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
One network has a well earned moniker of "Toronto Sports Network", and the other is the owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They were always biased, and will always be a biased.

Hell, most of the sports anchors and commentators the networks push are former Maple Leaf players and executives.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad