Is it me or have this year's signings been...pretty fair?

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
So as free agent frenzy starts to slow down 4-5 big names left, I feel like no team overpaid for anyone drastically. Maybe it has to do with some players having buyouts and taking cheaper deals but still we haven't seen much of the trend of overpaying for veterans this time around. GMs getting smarter? Meh free agent class? Players with no leverage? What do you think?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It seems calmer. But, we are still waiting to see what happens with Shattenkirk and Radulov. Vlasic got a massive deal today.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It'd be better to wait until the biggest free agent names have been signed before making a thread like this.

At this point, there still are some atrocious deals like Kulikov and Girardi.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
It'd be better to wait until the biggest free agent names have been signed before making a thread like this.

At this point, there still are some atrocious deals like Kulikov and Girardi.

I don't think Girardi's deal is that horrible. He's not good but I think if he plays the bottom pair he'll be ok.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
Wow and now Shatty's deal with the Rangers: 4 years 6.6 mil per year. That's not crazy at all.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Very fair this year for both UFAs and re-signings. Some AAVs are a tad high for certain players' roles, and some UFAs shouldn't be getting contracts at all, but terms are a lot lower, and there really isn't any issue overall. Waiting on Edmonton to price themselves into cap hell, though. It's coming.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I was kinda expecting some news on McDavid and Drai today, nope...That just means negotiations and buying out Pouliot is hampering negotiations. Probably asking for more money and oh, my team is going to suck for the next decade.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I dunno Girardi, Hainsey and Kulikov deals aren't so great.

All pretty short term though, I think that's the key. Last year we saw a handful of ridiculous 6 and 7 year deals that are going to look horrendous for the last 3-4 years. As a Leafs fan I don't have much a problem with the Hainsey signing (maybe a slight overpayment), but I would say the Kulikov and Alzner contracts are somewhat questionable

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Really?

When I woke up this morning and read the trade forum I found myself saying, "He's making HOW MUCH MONEY!?", over and over again

The only good contracts anyone has signed today have been the Patrick Sharp and Kevin Shattenkirk deals, GMs are acting like they can't wait for the next lockout

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That Bonino contract is dumb. Hanzal and Kulikov seem a tiny bit high but within reason. I agree, generally speaking it's been pretty sane so far.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Really?

When I woke up this morning and read the trade forum I found myself saying, "He's making HOW MUCH MONEY!?", over and over again

The only good contracts anyone has signed today have been the Patrick Sharp and Kevin Shattenkirk deals, GMs are acting like they can't wait for the next lockout

...disagree entirely. What contracts do you speak of? Bonino's is a bit high, but that's all I really see.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
/\ Bonino, Alzner, Girardi, Vlasic, Mason, Kulikov, Hunwick, Hainsey, and Jones got either too high a cap hit or too much term, both in some instances

There haven't been many great deals signed today, but it's July 1st, it's nothing new

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
/\ Bonino, Alzner, Girardi, Vlasic, Mason, Kulikov, Hunwick, Hainsey, and Jones got either too high a cap hit or too much term, both in some instances

There haven't been many great deals signed today, but it's July 1st, it's nothing new

Sure, but your "next lockout" comment is eyeroll-worthy. You're talking about teams retaining talent at about market value and some role players being overpaid by a few hundred thousand, not 14 year $100 million deals.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some (not all) GMs are starting to understand that it's not worth it to overpay on 2nd/3rd tier support pieces. Especially with younger stars demanding big money earlier on.

Likely going to see a wider league restructuring of salary trends where less and less is spent overall on the "middle class" of talent and more directed towards the stars.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
A very meh FA class. The contracts are high but not outrageous because these players can't command such deals.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Last year we had the Ladd, Lucic and Eriksson deals. I'd say GMs learned their lesson, because nothing comes close to those stinkers this year.

Most of the FA forwards signed this year won't break 20 goals. They are bottom-6 scrubs or PP specials.

Sam Gagner at $3+ M/yr for 3 years. Really?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yes no huge contracts. Thorton for 1 year and Markov can't find a 2nd year. Radu the best forward is having trouble getting more than 4 years.

McD wants 13, Drai wants 9, RJ wants 8.5. Matthews/Marner/Eichel are probably going to ask for 10+ .

GM's realize that they have to pay young talent not senior citizens. Why waste cap on a 33 year old when your 23 year old is going to want big money and big term.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Some (not all) GMs are starting to understand that it's not worth it to overpay on 2nd/3rd tier support pieces. Especially with younger stars demanding big money earlier on.

Likely going to see a wider league restructuring of salary trends where less and less is spent overall on the "middle class" of talent and more directed towards the stars.

Homer opening Philly's pocket book has at least stopped under Hextall (knock on wood). They were right up there with the best of em for horrible, expensive, long FA contracts.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
there wasn't any elite superstars on the list this year. but insane money was thrown around. not like some years. GMs are mostly against the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad