Is Hockey The Most Political Sport In History?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Think about it. Different countries. Good old Soviet v America... When ever I think about Hockey I see more depth than Soccer and Basketball (2 other very popular international sport)

Does anybody else think this?

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Soccer/Football seems to transcend sports, I think rather than a pasionate game because of conflict between nations, conflict between nations breaks out because of a passionate game.

WHA Euro

Sep 20, 2007
Finland
Think about it. Different countries. Good old Soviet v America... When ever I think about Hockey I see more depth than Soccer and Basketball (2 other very popular international sport)

Well, hockey isn't very popular international sport. At least not even close of popularity of football (soccer) or basketball. There's been at least one war, because of football (soccer) and many have died because of hooliganism on international football (soccer) matches.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
It really hasn't been politicised since Gorbachev.

We had all those Canada-USSR matches but there was also the CSSR and USSR rivalries. and US-Russia of course ('60 and '80)

USA and Canada is a healthy rivalry, but more about local bragging rights than about rival ideologies. Russia-Canada retains an allure because of the long history, but its not just the same, no matter how one feels about Mr. Putin.

One of the issues is that hockey players are publically very apolitical.

toastman344*

HELL YESS !!! for sure Hockey's been one of the most politicized sports in history....One time a group of Canuck amateurs , coached by Father D.B...won a bronze medal at the OG I believe...and theY were robbed of it when the IIHF changed the rules after the fact...

On another occassion, in the late 60's Canada was scheduled to host the so called World Champ, but the Russians objected to our letting 3 ex NHLers participate...as if the Russians weren't pros ?...and the IIHF agreed...so Canada pulled out of further international competition in protest...

There was a helluva lot of B.S. / anti-Canuck sentiment going on in the bad old , B. Ahearne / Red Army/ CCCP Dominated ...BAD OLD DAYS...

Sans our Best...all of those Soviet Gold Medals are Tainted in my books !!!

OH CANADA BABY :)

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
Wasn't there also politics between English and French Canada or was that more just cultural differences?

RADU

Apr 30, 2004
in europe if youre in the wrong bar with the wrong colours you get stomped
ive never heard of a hockey fan killing an opposing hockey fan

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
What ones?

http://www.laprensa-sandiego.org/archieve/may24-02/soccer.htm

Soccer has been the spark that ignited conflicts or reinvigorated diplomacy. In 1969, tensions flared between Honduras and El Salvador after Honduran landowners deported a few thousand Salvadorans. In the aftermath of a Salvadoran victory over Honduras in a soccer match, Salvadoran fans celebrated by burning Honduran flags and beating up Honduran fans. When the Honduran government did not receive the official apology it requested, war broke out. About 5,000 people died in the “Football War.â€

I'm by no means an expert on Football, nor with the many of the political issues touched on in that article, so, I can't speak for it's accuracy, but, generally, it paints a pretty good picture of the importance of the sport on political matters.

I'd also say that cricket carries with it a lot of political overtones. The rivalry between India and Pakistan carries with it all of the political overtones you'll find on the hockey scene.

What sets hockey apart, is that it was the sport that most often became the metaphor for the Cold War, which itself was was the political atmosphere that dominated the world stage for 30-40 years. Russia and the U.S. had very different sport priorities during that time, so, you never had a situation where two hated political rivals met in a sport that was of the highest interest to both countries. So, the absence of that, having the Americans defeat the Soviets in 1980 became a very big deal, even though hockey was not a high profile sport to the Americans, and, a secondary sport in Russian to football. The Olympics in general though, was the big political battle ground during this era, and, the fact that boycotts of the early 80's eliminated this opportunity, put more spotlight on that winter Olympics.

Badger Bob

Wasn't there also politics between English and French Canada or was that more just cultural differences?

That was just to keep the fan bases in line, and intensify the rivalry, between the Leafs and Canadiens. It was always French vs. English, Catholic vs. Protestant. A lot of it was exaggerated. Historians even go so far as to pinpoint the Rocket Richard riot as the flashpoint for igniting the "Quiet Revolution."

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
After England beat West Germany in the '66 World Cup finals, the chant, "Two World Wars and one World Cup, doo dah ... doo dah ... two World Wars and one World Cup, daa dah doo dah day" has been probably their most popular. After the '82 Falklands War, England and Argentina has always been a highly-charged soccer affair as well, especially after Diego Maradonna's Hand of God put England out of the '86 World Cup and the Beckham/Simeone incident repeated the result in '98.

There is no "most politically charged sport" ... as evidenced by the "Football War" from earlier -- which was going to happen with or without the soccer game -- people are passionate about sports and there is tremendous emotion tied to games between national teams. Whether two nations choose to play out their rivalry in soccer or hockey or wrestling or judo or marathoning is entirely dependant upon which sports the two nations care about.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... I just hope there's no Escobar in hockey.

Talking about Andrès. Not Pablo. Obviously.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
That was just to keep the fan bases in line, and intensify the rivalry, between the Leafs and Canadiens. It was always French vs. English, Catholic vs. Protestant. A lot of it was exaggerated. Historians even go so far as to pinpoint the Rocket Richard riot as the flashpoint for igniting the "Quiet Revolution."
About the sparking of the révolution tranquille.

I for one argued that point with one of my friends who was convinced that the "Richard riot" prompted it. I think it's bullocks. The riot was initiated by angry fans that though they were still getting opressed by the englishmen. I do think this statement is somewhat true, but one could argue about it... my mind isn't really made up but I am sure that the anglos though they could kind of get away with it, since the Québecois usually didn't really respond in that time. In a way, this little "conflict" was more about the french/englih - catholic/protestant struggle of the time.

On the other matter, the révolution tranquille was prompted by french intellectuals that though (rigthly so :handclap:) that the catholic stronghold over the Québecois' collective minds was more than enough. I always argued that this "revolution" was started by the french elite, more than the general population. So I don't think a sport related riot started anything.

We have to rememeber that the révolution tranquille, at the beggining, was to gain freedom from the oppressive church. While some action were taken early on to preserve and help french culture to expand, it's only latter that the Québec nationnalists movements started to become a main factor.

Also, Richard always refused to be implicated in the nationnal dilema. I guess he was a humble man or whatever. :)

Nostradanglus

Jul 12, 2007
Sure, ice hockey saw a bit of cold war politics hit the rink, but soccer beats it hands down in terms of the politics that manifest in it.

1. Zissou Headbutt - In last year's World Cup, French soccer star Zinedine Zidane deliberately headbutted Italian player Marco Materazzi after Marco insulted him. Newspapers had lip readers try to determine what Materazzi had said, The New York Times reporting that Materazzi called Zidane "the son of a terrorist *****". Zidane is of Algerian descent, and the comment made by Materazzi is aimed at degrading his mother in terms of her descent and the Islamist fanaticism that can currently be found in Algeria....leading to that awesome (and politically motivated) headbutt. In France, the viewpoint of the French-Algerian colonialists (who were forced to return to France after the revolution for Algerian independence) were very much looked down upon by the mainland French. Materazzi's remark could have stoked this up out of Zinedine.

2. November 07 Ultra Riots in Rome - Ultras (Superfans in Europe are called Ultras) rioted out in Rome. A police bus was set on fire, and police barracks and the Commission for Public Safety were attacked, leaving two-dozen policemen injured. The reason? Gabriele Sandri, a Lazio supporter was accidentally shot by a policeman in the wake of a battle between Lazio Ultras and a group of Juve supporters they attacked. The Ultras held the police responsible and retaliated. This isn't so much a show of politics at a global level, but does show how charged the football rivalries are in Italy and how extreme the reprecussions can be when something goes wrong.

3. Pele causes a ceasefire in the 1970's Biafra War - Soccer God Pele caused a ceasefire in the Nigerian Civil War. The reason? Both sides wanted to stop fighting to watch him play.

I don't think any sport is more political than another sport. However, the fervour of soccer fans, accompanied by the vast number of countries that play it, makes it the most likely sport to manifest political electricity (for the better in example 3, and for the worse in examples 1 and 2).

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007

not even close mate. not even close. Hockey had a great polticial climate in the 70's and 80's, but good god man..... wars have not been started over hockey games, thousands of people have not been killed and injured over hockey games. Hockey had a great chance to become a bigger sport on the international political stage, but it climaxed in 1980 and fizzled out after. Soccer is what still both unites and divides both people, countries, and religions.

Avy*

I'm sorry but hockeys rivalry's nothing close to soccer rivalry's, with the exception maybe old Canada-USSR thing.

Tor-Mtl is joke compared with not even Barca-Real but with some local rivalry like Dinamo Zagreb-Hajduk Split...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad