Is Henrik Lundqvist An HOFer?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's certainly on his way, but he needs to keep adding to his resume. Goaltenders notoriously have it harder than any of the other positions in terms of getting into the hall, and a Vezina and cup seem to be needed on most resumes. He will most likely win the Vezina this year, and the Rangers look to be contenders, so the cup in still up in the air. At the same time, I think with the number of teams and good number one goaltenders in the game today, there will start to be less emphasis on awards and cups and more emphasis on being among the best year in and year out. If he keeps up his play into his mid 30s, with at least some good playoffs thrown in, he will most likely get in as he will be one of the best of his generation.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, at this point it's really too soon to speculate. But, so far, he's on the right track.

He has only played in the NHL since post lockout but over that time he is 4th in wins and 1st in SO and has one of the best Save % at .921

He is well on his way in but of course playoff success would help his case quite a bit.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He has a lot of work to do. If we are waiting on Barrasso, Vachon and Vernon to get in then Lundqvist certainly needs more time. Not to mention Joseph getting in is up in the air (I wouldn't induct him). Beezer and Moog are two other ones with some decent credentials that might just wait forever. So in reality he's got a lot of trucking ahead of him in order to make that happen

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist, Miika Kiprusoff... love those guys! :yo: But it's too early to enshrine any of them.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Despite the belief that goaltending has gotten a lot better in recent years I think we've gone through a spell since the lockout where there aren't a lot of goalies you would consider locks for the HHOF. It goes in cycles and to be honest since Tretiak got inducted in 1989 there have only been three goalies, Smith, Fuhr and Roy to get in and then Belfour in 2011.

Right now other than Brodeur who is probably in his final season, who are considered to be "locks" playing in the NHL right now? Luongo, Thomas and Fleury are probably the best bets but there would be countless people that would make cases against them. After them there's Kipper, Lundqvist and Miller. All three have a long ways to go to prove it. I don't see what Kipper will do from here on in to add to his resume. The other two have a chance. But after that who else? Nabokov? Ward? Try making cases for them. Won't happen

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
Despite the belief that goaltending has gotten a lot better in recent years I think we've gone through a spell since the lockout where there aren't a lot of goalies you would consider locks for the HHOF. It goes in cycles and to be honest since Tretiak got inducted in 1989 there have only been three goalies, Smith, Fuhr and Roy to get in and then Belfour in 2011.

Right now other than Brodeur who is probably in his final season, who are considered to be "locks" playing in the NHL right now? Luongo, Thomas and Fleury are probably the best bets but there would be countless people that would make cases against them. After them there's Kipper, Lundqvist and Miller. All three have a long ways to go to prove it. I don't see what Kipper will do from here on in to add to his resume. The other two have a chance. But after that who else? Nabokov? Ward? Try making cases for them. Won't happen

In my opinion Lundquist is clearly ahead of Fleury. Sure it´s a big what if but I have a hard time imagining Lundquist not having a cup if he played for the Penguins.

It´s not Hasek to Osgood but it´s a way bigger gap than Hasek to Brodeur.

Victory*

I think he would have to win something in his career to be considered for the HOF.

He won an Olympic Gold Medal, the #2 hockey award in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There are 10 goalies in the HOF who played most of their hockey post-expansion: Dryden, Cheevers, Parent, Esposito, Giacomin, Tretiak, Smith, Fuhr, Roy and Belfour.

Currently out but certs to be in are Hasek and Brodeur. Cujo seems likely. It's been 45 years since expansion. So we are looking at 2-3 goalies per decade on average - though it's obvious the really high-scoring time between ca. 1978 and 93 didn't yield much in the way of goalie induction so it's to be expected that the very low-scoring era post-1997 will be much kinder to goalies.

Given that, I wouldn't be shocked to see 3+ goalies make it from the 00s cohort. But it will be interesting what characteristics will count, Tim Thomas seems a likelihood with 2 Vezinas and 1 Cup. What about the Cup-less Vezina winners in Ryan Miller and Kiprusoff or a currently still Cup-less and 'controversial' but still elite Luongo? What about Osgood? Fleury?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my opinion Lundquist is clearly ahead of Fleury. Sure it´s a big what if but I have a hard time imagining Lundquist not having a cup if he played for the Penguins.

It´s not Hasek to Osgood but it´s a way bigger gap than Hasek to Brodeur.

Hard to say. But Fleury had an amazing performance in the 2009 playoffs. It isn't as if he was along for the ride. He was the most important Penguin after Malkin, and probably Crosby too.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Let's not forget MAF's 2008 playoffs. If Detroit isn't out of this world, or if Malkin plays a bit better, he has 2 rings. He certainly did his part.

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
Hard to say. But Fleury had an amazing performance in the 2009 playoffs. It isn't as if he was along for the ride. He was the most important Penguin after Malkin, and probably Crosby too.

It's a biiiiiiig stretch to call Fleury's 2009 playoffs "amazing."

On the subject of Lundqvist, many hold his playoff performance against him. But I think as he plays more games his career numbers will improve. He has a very good chance of going deep into the playoffs in the next couple years.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Lundqvist is on pace to be enshrined. At worst I think his career will end up equalling Tony Esposito's, even without hardware.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
He'll eventually get his team out of the 2nd round right ? :laugh:

All kidding aside if he plays even near this pace for the rest of his career, yes he will be. He's a top 3 goalie now and probably will be for the next 3-5 yrs.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
I'm a Pens fan, but I don't see Fleury in the HOF without a Vezina. The same holds for Lundqvist actually, if somehow he doesn't win it this year. You can obviously win the Vezina without ending up in the HOF but I don't think you can get in without one.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm a Pens fan, but I don't see Fleury in the HOF without a Vezina. The same holds for Lundqvist actually, if somehow he doesn't win it this year. You can obviously win the Vezina without ending up in the HOF but I don't think you can get in without one.

Gerry Cheevers.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
not even close to amazing

fleury was mediocre in '09 playoffs, including in finals. if he had been amazing in finals, pittsburgh would have won in less than 7.

fleury was much better in '08 playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2