Is Gustav Forsling a future 1st pairing defenseman?

member 105785

Yes, because Benning is bad, we already knew he was going to be good, it was a bad deal then and it's a bad deal now.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yes, because Benning is bad, we already knew he was going to be good, it was a bad deal then and it's a bad deal now.

Wasn't a bash Benning thread though, I was genuinely curious. I'm not a Hawks fan so I didn't watch many games but judging by the numbers, the kid plays a lot of minutes in all situations (PK, PP) and get decent offensive numbers too.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Been following him since the 2014 WJC. Watched a ton of his SHL games. Was thrilled we traded for him.

He's been up and down in his career. His past 4 or so games since he returned from injury, he has been our best D man. Playing 20+ minutes, PK, PP. Nice shot. Good first pass. Great at losing forecheckers.

Needs to get stronger in front.

Reactions: Balthazar

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I followed him as a prospect and the kid has some serious talent. I think he can become a top PP guy and atleast a solid 2nd pairing.

I am looking forward to here some Chicago fans assessments as I have only seen a couple Chicago games this season.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Forsling and Tryamkin in the same draft. One traded and one back to Russia.

That would of been a awesome future pairing.

Also drafted Virtanen ahead of Ehlers and Nylander.

Sorry for going off topic a little bit.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can't say I've watched many Blackhawks games. Has he looked really good? Just from stat checking, doesn't seem too impressive but again, I've seen Chicago play once this season.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't like the weak and sluggish combination too much, especially in defenceman. I doubt he becomes a Top Pairing guy.

He's got an absolutely lethal shot and great offensive instincts though.

Obviously a brutal trade though, should be a 3/4D (more likely the latter) with a strong presence on the Power Play.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
1st pair? No.

He's a third pair guy, still finding his game. No top pair talent in any aspect of his game. I'm not terribly happy with the Hawks d-group this season.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
What on Earth has he done to suggest he might be a #1 anytime in the future?

I'm just as pissed as the next guy at the fact that we traded him away.. but it's not as if we gave up a doughty or a hedman here. Come on.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He's 21 and has been our best defensemen (yes, better than Keith) the past 4 games. Played 23:59 minutes tonight against Pittsburgh. Only Keith played more.

Don't know why people keep mentioning his skating as a negative. It was an issue when he was first drafted and when he was traded to Chicago, but it certainly isn't now. Don't get me wrong, he's no EK, but he's better than the average defensemen.

Also has a nice low shot and high IQ. Defensemen his age shouldn't be so efficient out there. He's almost always making the right play at the right time.

His only glaring weakness over the last 4 games since he came back to injury is that he doesn't tie up sticks near enough around the blue paint. Otherwise, he's been something special.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
All summer I kept seeing Hawks fans listing Kempny on their second pair and Forsling was sometimes on the third pair and sometimes not in the lineup. What happened with that? Seriously because I haven't watched the Hawks and I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad