Is Gunnarsson only playing this year because he's RFA?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
It's clear he's not 100%. He's not the same silky smooth, calm Gunnar we've seen. He's making rookie-ish mistakes and has had some pretty bad turnovers.

I wonder, if he was locked up, would he have properly healed and maybe gotten surgery or sat out?

I feel like he's forcing himself in the line-up because it's a contract year and he needs to sign a new deal.

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Playing hurt or not at 100% is part of the game. I expect Lupul is also not 100%. Suck it up. He needs to be better.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I ahve no idea what its going on.

He was by a mile our best defensive dman last season. It looks like he rode a motorcycle over the cliff.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Leafs fans have been wayyyyyyy to high on this guy for way to long. Hers really bad. Time for him to get the **** out imo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I ahve no idea what its going on.

He was by a mile our best defensive dman last season. It looks like he rode a motorcycle over the cliff.

Luke Schenn disease. In reality, none of them are that good, but just look good compared to other Leaf defensemen.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
He will return to form once he gets healthy. Wish he took the season off. He's only an rfa this summer.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
Luke Schenn disease. In reality, none of them are that good, but just look good compared to other Leaf defensemen.

I wouldnt say that he is apart of the cheerleader (looks good by association of bad) effect. He is a steady stay at home defenceman. I wouldnt say hes a top defender or our best defender but he is a #3-4 defender. Hes good at alot but not great at many. Very much like a Hal Gill, not style play, just the way they are both solid defenders who dont catch anyones eye

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Gunnar says he's 100%, you expect Carlyle to ... read his mind. Got it.

No, I expect Carlyle to be able to look at individual performances and know when to sit out a guy because his play isn't up to par, whether it's injury or just not ready to play.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
A year ago everyone here thought he was one of the top 4.

This is getting ridiculous. Stop changing your minds...

He is a top 4 d-man. And tbh, he looked half-decent on the left side in the final period.

He's still better injured than some of the other guys are healthy, I just wonder though what would happen if he had been signed to a deal already?

Most guys would just heal properly, unless it was the playoffs.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Hes been our worst dman.

He set a record for most giveaways in a game last night.

Everyone has a rough game here and there.

And no, he's not our worst dman. He's better than Holzer by a mile, and a helluva lot better than Kostka too. And that's just basing off of this year, perhaps the worst so far in his career and he's likely not 100%.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gunnarsson is awesome and still has more upside. He's a quality top 4 defenseman on any team. He is having a rough year though but that's obviously due to his injury. Last year, we were all super high on the guy and argued he was close to being a top 2 defenseman. Stop flip flopping.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He also hasn't been playing with our best dman in Phaneuf a lot of this year.

His role when playing with Phaneuf was very simple because Gunnarson isn't counted on to add any offence, just to hang back, make the simple outlet pass and doesn't have to cover as much as he has had to most of this season because Phaneuf covers so much ice because nobody wants to cut into the middle of the ice and get rocked by one of the best open ice hitters in the game.

G51 K81*

Gunnarsson is awesome and still has more upside. He's a quality top 4 defenseman on any team. He is having a rough year though but that's obviously due to his injury. Last year, we were all super high on the guy and argued he was close to being a top 2 defenseman. Stop flip flopping.

Arguably a top 2 D-man on arguably the worst defensive team in the league is nothing to be impressed about.

He's not above average at anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad