is golf a sport?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Oh look, it's this ignorant ridiculous thread again.

i expend more energy walking to 7/11 than most golfers do

Wrong.

Golf is an activity.

Wrong.

No it's a game like darts or pool

Wrong.

yeah its closer to that for sure

Wrong.

It's a game, not a sport.

It's fundamentally no different than cornhole or beer pong.

Wrong.

Absolutely NOT

Wrong.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Did you know Troy Polamalu is literally as fast as a bolt of lightning? No? You must not watch sports science.

What a fascinating and intellectual rebuttal.

anything you can do while simultaneously drinking a beer and smoking a cigar, while also being noticeably overweight is not a sport

Congratulations, you've identified the exception, not the norm. I can slap on a pair of skates and pick up a hockey stick, doesn't mean I'm one of the best hockey players in the world. I can play a mean game of pick up B-Ball with friends, doesn't mean I'm LeBron James or the average NBA player. If you think John Daly, whose brief success was a result of his ridiculous length off the tee, is even remotely representative or comparable to the average golfer, there's no point in discussing this with you.

Here's where your "argument" is inherently flawed. Is Dustin Penner representative of hockey players, being obese? Is Theo Fleury? A guy who played portions of his career as a drug addict and alcoholic? This is simple.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
What a fascinating and intellectual rebuttal.

Congratulations, you've identified the exception, not the norm. I can slap on a pair of skates and pick up a hockey stick, doesn't mean I'm one of the best hockey players in the world. I can play a mean game of pick up B-Ball with friends, doesn't mean I'm LeBron James or the average NBA player. If you think John Daly, whose brief success was a result of his ridiculous length off the tee, is even remotely representative or comparable to the average golfer, there's no point in discussing this with you.

Here's where your "argument" is inherently flawed. Is Dustin Penner representative of hockey players, being obese? Is Theo Fleury? A guy who played portions of his career as a drug addict and alcoholic? This is simple.

those guys were still athletes tho

most golfers are in good shape and do go to the gym a lot and there is a lot of science and practice that goes into it

but at the end of the day all they do is hit a ball 60-80 times a day

then leisurely walk after it

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
[/b]

most golfers are in good shape and do go to the gym a lot and there is a lot of science and practice that goes into it

Do you have a 300 yard drive and sink 30 foot putts on a regular basis?

Thought not.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Golf is 100% a sport. Several times throughout a round a golfer has to use their strength on tough shots (bad lie in the rough, side hill stance etc...). Also a golfer hitting a delicate flop shot is no different then a baseball pitcher throwing different curve balls etc.. Touch around the green comes with thousands of hours of practice to achieve.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
49645496.jpg

You make this too easy. :sarcasm:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
[/b]

Do you have a 300 yard drive and sink 30 foot putts on a regular basis?

Thought not.

:huh:

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Yeah it's definitely a game, a video explaining how tiger gets a sore knee after hitting the ball doesn't change that. It's pool and darts status, I don't see what the big deal is with it being a game.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Yeah it's definitely a game, a video explaining how tiger gets a sore knee after hitting the ball doesn't change that. It's pool and darts status, I don't see what the big deal is with it being a game.

i can't feel a sense of elitism over "non athletic beta games" like pool and darts if you think golf is also just a game

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
It's a sport, but it's not really a sport in the sense that it requires courage, sacrifice, confrontation of going head to head against an opponent. You're not competing against an opponent and can't influence what they are doing so much as you are playing against yourself or the course.

While the skill level required to be good is undeniable, it's still a 'sport' that attracts a lot of wimps for that non confrontational nature. No ones ever coming at you, throwing an elbow, studs up or pitching at your head. You're pretty safe playing golf, even if you might pull or strain something.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

I can't tell if you're an invalid or if you're just pretending to be one.

If you that's all you could comprehend from watching the video, you should either watch it again with your brain turned on, or you should get a new brain because the one you currently have is malfunctioning.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I can't tell if you're an invalid or if you're just pretending to be one.

If you that's all you could comprehend from watching the video, you should either watch it again with your brain turned on, or you should get a new brain because the one you currently have is malfunctioning.

I get it, you obviously love golf, but unfortunately it is a game. Accusing me of being mentally ******** isn't going to change that either. According to your video, going to the driving range = a sport. The fact you think that proves golf is a sport is laughable

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
I get it, you obviously love golf, but unfortunately it is a game. Accusing me of being mentally ******** isn't going to change that either. According to your video, going to the driving range = a sport. The fact you think that proves golf is a sport is laughable

Lirl.

Upon further review, the ruling in this thread stands. Golf is not a sport.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

No. That's a false equivalency. And not at all what could be inferred from my post.

Depending on the lie (sidehill lie, downhill lie, uphill lie, bunker, rough), different forces are exerted on different parts of a golfer's body. On the range, you're hitting from a static surface. A hack doesn't exert anywhere near the forces on their body a professional golfer does. It's just not comparable. People can rightly point out that the competition is against the course more than your peers and that there's not the same level of physical factors at play in golf as other sports, that's fair. People can also argue the fact golf is a combination of physical ability and mental ability that uniquely differentiates it from almost any other sport. To out of hand dismiss and mock it as "not a sport" is ignorant, IMO.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I suspect those saying golf isn't a sport have never tried it or just have zero notion of how impressive what the professionals can do is. Especially in today's game, these guys are athletes. Sure there's the odd fatso, yet they still have incredible hand eye co-ordination.

You can't dismiss something because of ignorance. I'd never argue baseball isn't a sport even when a bunch of them are fatties who only exert themselves a handful of times for a few seconds over the course of three hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad